Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 541

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

  1. #511
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It looks like Checketts just went on sale.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does Checketts' dad still have an ownership stake in ESPN 700? Does dad throw son a lifeline as Spence comes full circle and becomes Gunther's new cohost (until Gunther gets canned)?

    I'll be curious to see what 1280 does with the drive show. I won't listen to it as long as Monson is involved but I'll still be curious to see what direction they go. Do they bring someone new in to pair with Monson or do they bring someone from a different show (Scott Gerrard, Jake Scott?) and then have a ripple effect through several of their shows?

  2. #512
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Does Checketts' dad still have an ownership stake in ESPN 700? Does dad throw son a lifeline as Spence comes full circle and becomes Gunther's new cohost (until Gunther gets canned)?

    I'll be curious to see what 1280 does with the drive show. I won't listen to it as long as Monson is involved but I'll still be curious to see what direction they go. Do they bring someone new in to pair with Monson or do they bring someone from a different show (Scott Gerrard, Jake Scott?) and then have a ripple effect through several of their shows?
    No. ESPN 700 is part of Broadway Media, which is owned by Dell Loy Hansen, owner of RSL.

    Broadway Media also owns X96, U92 and others.

    (As for media and pay, I know the Radio From Hell folks make a lot more than the rest of the talent at X96 for the exact reasons SoCal mentions)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #513
    That pic of Spencer Checketts looks like a guy who just got his fourth DWI while driving 120 mph, and doesn't give a shit about the safety of you or your family.

    He should get a 18 months in prison for this. But something tells me he has an expensive Get-Out-of-Jail card coming his way.

  4. #514

    Sports Media (local and national)

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That pic of Spencer Checketts looks like a guy who just got his fourth DWI while driving 120 mph, and doesn't give a shit about the safety of you or your family.

    He should get a 18 months in prison for this. But something tells me he has an expensive Get-Out-of-Jail card coming his way.
    Reality is no one gets that. Utah likes to be tough in dui on paper so they can say they are.

    The paper listed 3 arrests, one was a guilty plea to a reduced charge in 2004.

    I checked UtahsRight.com and it only shows one conviction, in 2008, again for a reduced charge of attempted DUI, alcohol license restriction violation and ignition interlock violation.

    Utah law allows felony enhancements, but it requires two previous convictions within 10 years. So unless Im missing something, hes not eligible for anything other than a standard class B.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 03-04-2018 at 07:29 AM.

  5. #515
    Hackett and Andy Phillips did pre and post game for RSL yesterday. I guess he may stick around in that role.

  6. #516
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,090
    i know Checketts has dealt with some difficult challenges (brain cancer being one of those), I don't condone his behavior, (4 DUI's deserves his driving privileges be revoked for life) but we all have our demons. I hope he gets his life back together.

  7. #517
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That pic of Spencer Checketts looks like a guy who just got his fourth DWI while driving 120 mph, and doesn't give a shit about the safety of you or your family.

    He should get a 18 months in prison for this. But something tells me he has an expensive Get-Out-of-Jail card coming his way.
    You've had three previous alcohol related run ins with the law and you get in your car drunk and then proceed to drive 120 MPH on the highway at 1:30 a.m.?

    Wow. He has serious issues.

    if you are driving drunk that many times, you just have a drinking problem. If you are driving drunk going 120 MPH at 1:30 in the morning, you are screaming out for the cops to pull you over. You want drama and chaos to come into your life. You are screaming out for attention.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.

  8. #518
    ESPN 700 has updated their website to now include "Gunther and Ben".

  9. #519
    That's good, I really like Ben. I might have to start listening again.

  10. #520
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    ESPN 700 has updated their website to now include "Gunther and Ben".
    What's your assessment of this? A solid move? Or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic before the inevitable (ie, Gunther getting canned).

  11. #521
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    What's your assessment of this? A solid move? Or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic before the inevitable (ie, Gunther getting canned).
    Hes an upgrade over Tom. He knows his stuff, prepares well, and has the ability to keep Gunther in check somewhat.

    Weird observation: Gunther took to twitter this weekend to criticize Jazz fan favorite Rudy Gobert for helping up Ricky Rubio after the cheap shot from Jeff Teague instead of going to confront Teague (something Jae Crowder did). This afternoon during "Cross-talk" with Bill and Ben, Gunther stated that it was 'good news' that Arizona's Alonzo Trier is back at Arizona. While I certainly don't want a media member to ever cater to my viewpoints or sugarcoat anything, these were really dumb and completely unnecessary statements to make. He is either tone deaf to the market or trolling and neither is good news for ESPN 700.

  12. #522
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,090
    sounds like Sean O'Connell will be on the new PAC-12 Sirius channel

    https://twitter.com/realOCsports/status/971148882817134592

  13. #523
    I know Clay Travis is a polarizing figure in the sports world but he 'broke' and interesting story last night that has spilled over into today.

    A bunch of documents surrounding the University of Tennessee football coaching search were release and in them were some texts exchanged between the Tennessee AD (at the time) and USA TODAY college football writer Dan Wolken. In them, the AD asks Wolken to do some PR for him when it was announced that Greg Schiano would be hired as the next coach (Enter Travis who is a die hard UT fan and quickly started a mob to block the hire). Wolken agrees to help with the PR aspect (he subsequently wrote an article blasting Travis and UT fans and talked up Schiano).

    Its an interesting world where a journalist (no doubt he is not the only one) will agree to present a specific viewpoint in exchange for continued access. I wonder how rampant this is and how frequently it happens compared with times prior.

  14. #524
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I know Clay Travis is a polarizing figure in the sports world but he 'broke' and interesting story last night that has spilled over into today.

    A bunch of documents surrounding the University of Tennessee football coaching search were release and in them were some texts exchanged between the Tennessee AD (at the time) and USA TODAY college football writer Dan Wolken. In them, the AD asks Wolken to do some PR for him when it was announced that Greg Schiano would be hired as the next coach (Enter Travis who is a die hard UT fan and quickly started a mob to block the hire). Wolken agrees to help with the PR aspect (he subsequently wrote an article blasting Travis and UT fans and talked up Schiano).

    Its an interesting world where a journalist (no doubt he is not the only one) will agree to present a specific viewpoint in exchange for continued access. I wonder how rampant this is and how frequently it happens compared with times prior.
    Probably the way that world works. I used to work for a major record label as a local rep. Wed go to radio stations to promote our artists. Wed pull up the stats and say to the program manager, We see you played [song/artist we were promoting] x times last week and wed like you to play it y times.

    The program manager might say no because the song/artist stunk. Wed then try to give them incentives to do it like gift cards or some new tech or whatever. If that didnt work wed then threaten to limit access to events and artists or even had the option to pull our artists on our label from their station. We always got what we wanted (which is why I dont listen to music radio stations to this day - the best music doesnt get played, the most heavily promoted does).

    No doubt a lot of that sort of thing happens in sports journalism too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #525
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I know Clay Travis is a polarizing figure in the sports world but he 'broke' and interesting story last night that has spilled over into today.

    A bunch of documents surrounding the University of Tennessee football coaching search were release and in them were some texts exchanged between the Tennessee AD (at the time) and USA TODAY college football writer Dan Wolken. In them, the AD asks Wolken to do some PR for him when it was announced that Greg Schiano would be hired as the next coach (Enter Travis who is a die hard UT fan and quickly started a mob to block the hire). Wolken agrees to help with the PR aspect (he subsequently wrote an article blasting Travis and UT fans and talked up Schiano).

    Its an interesting world where a journalist (no doubt he is not the only one) will agree to present a specific viewpoint in exchange for continued access. I wonder how rampant this is and how frequently it happens compared with times prior.
    I honestly believe things are better now and more transparent than ever. This has been going on forever and always will. At least we know more of it now.

    That being said, interesting that Travis is the one to break it. Seems like petty retaliation to me. The dude is scum of the earth (Travis) and everything wrong with the world right now. He’s a blowhard in it for clicks.

  16. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker ute View Post
    probably the way that world works. I used to work for a major record label as a local rep. We’d go to radio stations to promote our artists. We’d pull up the stats and say to the program manager, “we see you played [song/artist we were promoting] x times last week and we’d like you to play it y times.

    The program manager might say no because the song/artist stunk. We’d then try to give them incentives to do it like gift cards or some new tech or whatever. If that didn’t work we’d then threaten to limit access to events and artists or even had the option to pull our artists on our label from their station. We always got what we wanted (which is why i don’t listen to music radio stations to this day - the best music doesn’t get played, the most heavily promoted does).

    No doubt a lot of that sort of thing happens in sports journalism too.


    Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    payola!!!!!

  17. #527
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I honestly believe things are better now and more transparent than ever. This has been going on forever and always will. At least we know more of it now.

    That being said, interesting that Travis is the one to break it. Seems like petty retaliation to me. The dude is scum of the earth (Travis) and everything wrong with the world right now. He’s a blowhard in it for clicks.
    I think travis has a place and is a needed voice in today's world. Sure, his ranting against ESPN gets old but its also refreshing to see someone on the left side of the political spectrum socially go after sjw's when they go too far.

    For instance, how many media folks went right along with michael Bennett's story about being racially profiled in Vegas? Well....when the footage was released bennett was proven to have made it all up (at least as far as being profiled). Clay was the only guy i know of to call him on it. We need that in todays world.

  18. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think travis has a place and is a needed voice in today's world. Sure, his ranting against ESPN gets old but its also refreshing to see someone on the left side of the political spectrum socially go after sjw's when they go too far.

    For instance, how many media folks went right along with michael Bennett's story about being racially profiled in Vegas? Well....when the footage was released bennett was proven to have made it all up (at least as far as being profiled). Clay was the only guy i know of to call him on it. We need that in todays world.
    I disagree about HIS voice. I agree that it is good to have opinions on both sides of the aisle. It's good to try to see issues from other's points of view. '

    But his POV is an extremist. He is just as bad as the guys on the other end of the spectrum. He is nothing more than a fear monger, appealing to the basest, most vile fears/emotions in people. He's everything wrong with the world. He makes his money off being loud, whether right or wrong. The ironic thing is, he is everything he claims to stand up against. Be loud, throw shit against the wall, see what sticks.

    I have nothing wrong with good journalism and finding out facts and getting to the bottom of things. But, he isn't those things. He'd make a great cult leader/pay for preacher. Same schtick.

  19. #529
    I agree that it is good that he dug into the Bennet story. Get it right, don't try to be right is what I try (and fail) to live like.

    My issue with him is that he motivation to find out the truth seems to come from a pretty bad place. And while his Bennet story was true, he spews out a lot of trash that only worsens everything.

    Is it worth getting one thing right every now and again to put up with all the garbage out there? He's a Rachel Maddow or Keith Olberman or Rush or Hannity. And their voices are there for one reason: to sell commercials. And that sucks. Or, it sucks that so many believe they are in it to find the truth. They aren't. They are in it to get the big bucks. If you stumble on the truth along the way, great, but if not, it's ok, you made those dolla bills.

  20. #530
    His appearance on Arian Foster's podcast was pretty good. Changed Foster's mind about him in a lot of ways.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  21. #531
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    payola!!!!!
    For Destinys Child no less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #532
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,090
    if you're missing Brian Swinney, he and Andrew Garrange have started a new podcast (language)

    https://soundcloud.com/dicktosports

    They talk about Hill's retirement (to Seattle Ute's horror they discuss if Hill deserves a statue .... on the Hill)

    Utah's NIT run

    and Utah football and baseball

    I've listened to 20 mins of it and its decent.

  23. #533
    If you follow him at all, you know Clay Travis loves to rip on ESPN. His latest kick is to compare the daily "Get Up!" ratings on ESPN to Peppa Pig on Nickolodeon (the pig wins every day by a mile and its a dumb comparison for obvious reasons).

    Hes been hammering on this show for a while. His main argument is that ESPN is spending nearly 15 million a year on salary for the 3 main hosts (michelle beadle, mike greenberg, and jalen rose) plus the cost of a new studio in manhattan after laying out a couple hundred people last year and the result is.........pretty boring.

    I dont know the ins and outs of tv ratings, but I wonder how many businesses (be it a doctor's office, restaurant, car repair shop) just turn their tvs onto ESPN for their customers and leave it on all day. I am not trying to make a point here or suggest misleading information, but I really wonder how many people choose to sit down and watch Get Up!.

  24. #534
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    If you follow him at all, you know Clay Travis loves to rip on ESPN. His latest kick is to compare the daily "Get Up!" ratings on ESPN to Peppa Pig on Nickolodeon (the pig wins every day by a mile and its a dumb comparison for obvious reasons).
    My 2 year old love Peppa Pig. I think it's pretty good.

  25. #535
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My 2 year old love Peppa Pig. I think it's pretty good.
    Peppa Pig is actually kind of low key hilarious. Daddy Pig is my jam.

  26. #536
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    If you follow him at all, you know Clay Travis loves to rip on ESPN. His latest kick is to compare the daily "Get Up!" ratings on ESPN to Peppa Pig on Nickolodeon (the pig wins every day by a mile and its a dumb comparison for obvious reasons).

    Hes been hammering on this show for a while. His main argument is that ESPN is spending nearly 15 million a year on salary for the 3 main hosts (michelle beadle, mike greenberg, and jalen rose) plus the cost of a new studio in manhattan after laying out a couple hundred people last year and the result is.........pretty boring.

    I dont know the ins and outs of tv ratings, but I wonder how many businesses (be it a doctor's office, restaurant, car repair shop) just turn their tvs onto ESPN for their customers and leave it on all day. I am not trying to make a point here or suggest misleading information, but I really wonder how many people choose to sit down and watch Get Up!.
    Jalen should only be talking NBA. He's very good at it. Having him talk about other stuff just diminishes him.

    Greenberg was with Golic for so long and their show was very good for so long, you had to wonder if he could lift others up around him. Early returns suggest he can't.

    I want to like Michelle Beadle. She's talented, but she's no Doris Burke or Sarah Spain.

  27. #537
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,090
    The Pac-12 Conference today reported record performance in total revenues and member distributions for the financial year 2016-2017, driven by strong year-on-year growth in media rights. For the first time ever, Pac-12 revenues topped the $500M mark at $509M total revenues, a 4% increase over the prior year. Member distributions also reached an all-time high at $371M, an 8% increase over the prior year.

    http://pac-12.com/article/2018/05/03...-strong-growth

    that equates to $31 million per school
    Last edited by Scorcho; 05-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.

  28. #538
    Jim Rome's show, which is on the right wing talk radio station 1430 KLO, has been bumped on Fridays for something called "Latter Day Radio". What a fall from grace.

  29. #539
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    if you're missing Brian Swinney, he and Andrew Garrange have started a new podcast (language)

    https://soundcloud.com/dicktosports

    They talk about Hill's retirement (to Seattle Ute's horror they discuss if Hill deserves a statue .... on the Hill)

    Utah's NIT run

    and Utah football and baseball

    I've listened to 20 mins of it and its decent.
    Statues are overplayed, and should be saved for coaches and players. But I think the circle in front of the JHC should be renamed Chris Hill Drive, and the address of the JHC changed accordingly. It's where he worked for nearly 40 years, so the space is appropriate too.

  30. #540
    Wrong thread.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 06-14-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •