Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Apparently one of the tv media guys asked Whittingham if he roots for BYU when they aren't playing BYU. "Uhhhh...no."

I also appreciated this campaigning over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The direct quote is..."Uhhh, not really (chuckle)" I love Whit.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Dan walken from usa today calling out former utah radio hack Monty for his crap about expansion is wonderful.....

Baaically, Monty has taken every position on expansion. Lately he's been saying nebraska wants back in and that Texas wants to start a new conference with byu and houston. When news broke he tried to take a victory lap.....'called it!"

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Dan walken from usa today calling out former utah radio hack Monty for his crap about expansion is wonderful.....

Baaically, Monty has taken every position on expansion. Lately he's been saying nebraska wants back in and that Texas wants to start a new conference with byu and houston. When news broke he tried to take a victory lap.....'called it!"
    Monty has pulled off maybe the greatest troll job every by a media member over a fanbase. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Monty has pulled off maybe the greatest troll job every by a media member over a fanbase. It's hilarious.
    The problem is that Monty apparently was not in on the joke.

Local Media?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I guess he's moving on? I really avoided listening to the show with him and O'Connell. It was boring and very self-referential.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-14-2017 at 12:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I
    guess he's moving on? I really avoided listening to the show with him and O'Connell. It was boring and very self-referential.
    I don't have any inside info but I have to bet he's being let go. I thought the show had potential, but always wanted them to spend more time on actual sports and less (to borrow one of Larry K's terms) "grabass". 1280 pretty much has that time slot locked down (although I'll never understand why people would willingly listen to Gordon Monson) and then you have 1320 taking a few listeners (and again, I don't know why). It's a tough situation. I think it's no coincidence that Bill Riley moved his show to midday, knowing that was the best time slot to compete.

I guess he's moving on? I really avoided listening to the show with him and O'Connell. It was boring and very self-referential.
    The interview with Chris Hill yesterday was just painful...long, long pauses between questions, stumbling over things. Really odd.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's weird that Swinney left and the replacement lineup is still TBA. Must've been sudden.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I've wondered if Hackett is a possible replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I've wondered if Hackett is a possible replacement
    Or maybe Scott Mitchell. He's been on the ESPN700 air a lot. Also, Hackett and Phillips are covering Riley's show tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Swinney said it was because his ratings weren't good enough.

Radio is a brutal industry.

Because he was boring.

--Yeats

But O'Connell's were? hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    But O'Connell's were? hmmmmm.
    Interesting question. Maybe O'Connell has a better history of decent ratings, not only at 700 but also at other stations? I don't know. What the two of them were doing on their show together as a team was not interesting to me at all.

--Yeats

Interesting question. Maybe O'Connell has a better history of decent ratings, not only at 700 but also at other stations? I don't know. What the two of them were doing on their show together as a team was not interesting to me at all.
    I wanted to like it, but it rarely held my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I wanted to like it, but it rarely held my interest.
    This. I always tuned them in first. I was so excited when their show started. I pumped it up here and other sites (RIP). But, I always ended up changing the channel. It's too bad.

He might be half-right, but that's a cop-out answer for why his show wasn't kept on the air. On-air talent simply cannot remain employed just because of their content. They have to be able to sell airtime to local businesses. If they can't do that, then they better be crushing it in the ratings, and Ute-centric STR will never do that in this market. Find me one STR personality in the SLC market who makes a living wage based solely on their talk show duties. I can't think of a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Radio is a brutal industry.
    I could've done half the job I did in newspapers and still lasted as long as I did/wanted. But radio is brutal, and a niche market like STR is ruthless. Forget about having a slew of "hot takes", if you can't sell air time, you won't stay around.

Single topic radio?

Single topic radio?

sports talk radio

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    sports talk radio
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Correct.
    it was either that or a fuel additive for your engine.

I suppose since OC was retained that they want to attempt to keep a local drive time show going. The show never really stood out to me. Sure, there were times i listened for a while but all in all, it was not my thing.

I am shocked that SLC has had 3 STR stations for as long as it has.

With the miller family backing, I dont see any way that 700 could entice Spencer Checketts back, but his talent is being absolutely wasted opposite Monson. Monson should be partnered with another guy who is full of hot takes, like Kevin Graham.

I would love to see the demo ratings for 1320 KFAN in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I suppose since OC was retained that they want to attempt to keep a local drive time show going. The show never really stood out to me. Sure, there were times i listened for a while but all in all, it was not my thing.

I am shocked that SLC has had 3 STR stations for as long as it has.

With the miller family backing, I dont see any way that 700 could entice Spencer Checketts back, but his talent is being absolutely wasted opposite Monson. Monson should be partnered with another guy who is full of hot takes, like Kevin Graham.

I would love to see the demo ratings for 1320 KFAN in the afternoon.
    Yeah, I think the issue wasn't so much that the show was bad (it wasn't great but it was generally your best option if you wanted to hear some Utes talk). The biggest issue is the timeslot and the saturation of the market. 1280 is always going to dominate because the Jazz are still the king in this sports market and they have the best access to the Jazz (by a longshot). While I can't understand why anyone willingly listens to or reads Gordon Monson, I get that the Jazz are a big enough draw that 1280 will control the market almost regardless of which personalities are on air.

Then you have 1320 and 700. There's just not enough fans (and I'm assuming advertising dollars, to Pat's point above) to fuel three stations. The fact that 1320 is still afloat is a marvel of modern media (not that I'm an expert on the subject, but I just don't know anyone who listens to them--maybe that's where the BYU fans in SLC go?). I have no idea what the ratings have been over time but I doubt 700 had much better ratings over time comparing before or after Swinney. I think the same group of mostly Ute fans listened before Swinney, during Swinney and will still listen after Swinney. I also assume they kept OC only because he is more experienced and if you're going to the solo host you're sticking with the guy who has been around longer (although I've never felt that OC can carry a show by himself).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    (although I've never felt that OC can carry a show by himself).
    He can't.

--Yeats

Local Media?

I really like 1320. I don't listen live as I cannot stand commercials but I listen to a couple hours of the podcast (previous day's radio show without the commercials) most weekdays while at work.

I used to really like Gunther. He seems to have gone off the rails recently. I don't if he is giving up or what, but he has fallen lately.

I think Gunther tried to go after BYU fans but got sick and tired of BYU fans, snapped and burned that bridge. Ha ha. Poor guy.

This is a tough market. 1280 is horrible. Every show they do is awful. PK is by far the best guy we have in the market, when he wants to be. The problem is, he is bored 95% of the time and just trolls BYU and Utah fans.

1280's daytime stuff is garbage.

Monson is awful.

I like Bill Riley. OC is as good as anyone else in this market (I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not). It's too bad. This market used to have a stream of really good talent coming through. Now, it's a bunch of hacks that are happy with their 30K a year.

There is a lot to talk about. The Jazz, Utah, BYU, the PAC-12. ESPN 700 only has local show for what? 6 hrs a day? It shouldn't be that hard to fill up 3 hours a day. 1 hour on the Jazz, one on the Utes, 1/2 hour each on BYU and PAC-12. That isn't even counting the commercial time.

All the radio guys in this market are just so lazy. But, for the low pay, what do you expect?
    Last edited by Utah; 02-16-2017 at 10:01 PM.