Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    is there a consensus on Scott Mitchell calling Ute Football games on the radio? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still prefer Dolce. I don't care that he viewed everything through crimson colored glasses or that he was a little goofy/unprofessional. Nothing against Mitchell, but I liked Dolce's passion for all things Utah. It was like watching/listening to a game with a friend.
    I loved Dolce on the broadcast and generally listened to 3-4 games on the radio a season. Fortunately for me, I was able to watch all the games last year so I didn’t get to hear Mitchell. I tried listening to a couple of the podcasts that Mitchell and Jason Buck put out but didn’t really like it so I stopped listening. I think your analogy of Frank being like an old friend is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I loved Dolce on the broadcast and generally listened to 3-4 games on the radio a season. Fortunately for me, I was able to watch all the games last year so I didn’t get to hear Mitchell. I tried listening to a couple of the podcasts that Mitchell and Jason Buck put out but didn’t really like it so I stopped listening. I think your analogy of Frank being like an old friend is spot on.
    I like Frank. However, at least when I was working with the football team Frank rarely showed up and the result is that he had terrible information about players and the team. He mostly made things up as he went. I find Mitchell to be much more knowledgeable about football but less entertaining. I will take knowledge over entertainment value.

You can still hear Dolce on either Thursday or Friday nights during High School season......if you're into Utah HS football......which I am.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Gunther and Ben are out at 700. Spence checketts takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Has anyone in the history of time gotten more second chances than Spence Checketts?!

Also, I was watching an interview that Gunther was giving Ludwig. Gunther acted like he couldn’t care any less about what he was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did his dad buy the station or something? I don’t mind Spence for his knowledge of basketball, but it is football season and I really liked Gunther’s insight ( I know this is not a popular take around these parts).
    Last edited by Sullyute; 08-09-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Did his dad buy the station or something? I don’t mind Spence for his knowledge of basketball, but it is football season and I really liked Gunther’s insight ( I know this is not a popular take around these parts).
    When I saw the news, you were one of the first people I thought of, haha. (I know we rarely interact but ill always appreciate the moment you stuck up for me in the infamous Dehlin-Kate Kelly thread when someone else was really attacking me, even though you and I have different views on that topic.)

I dont wish a job loss on anyone. Its hell. I hope Gunther and Ben are able to find something they enjoy quickly. I hope (though I dont believe itll happen) that Ben can hang around and continue with Salt City Hoops. I think Gunther and Ben could potentially have a decent podcast. In fact, that might be the optimal format for them.

Its unfortunate that news of this broke with a promo for Spence's new show accidentally being posted to the ESPN 700 website. I hope Gunther and Ben were treated with dignity and respect as their show came to an end.

I have ranted about Gunther before, so I am not going to kick the guy while he is down now. I hope this brings more listeners to 700 and I hope the best for Gunther and Ben.

When I saw the news, you were one of the first people I thought of, haha. (I know we rarely interact but ill always appreciate the moment you stuck up for me in the infamous Dehlin-Kate Kelly thread when someone else was really attacking me, even though you and I have different views on that topic.)

I dont wish a job loss on anyone. Its hell. I hope Gunther and Ben are able to find something they enjoy quickly. I hope (though I dont believe itll happen) that Ben can hang around and continue with Salt City Hoops. I think Gunther and Ben could potentially have a decent podcast. In fact, that might be the optimal format for them.

Its unfortunate that news of this broke with a promo for Spence's new show accidentally being posted to the ESPN 700 website. I hope Gunther and Ben were treated with dignity and respect as their show came to an end.

I have ranted about Gunther before, so I am not going to kick the guy while he is down now. I hope this brings more listeners to 700 and I hope the best for Gunther and Ben.

The owner of 700 doesn’t tend to care about ratings or quality, as many of the odd moves his stations make often show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like Mitchell. He tended to be much more honest about Tyler's play than I remember Dolce being. When it comes to telling us things on the offensive side of the ball, Scott was decent last year. Not as much insight as when we were on defense. Lots of polish needed with regard to his delivery and being concise, but lots of promise, too. Dolce also acted the fool too often by cheering over Bill's call of big plays, which was annoying as all get out.

Has anyone been following the "Jody Genessy on the Utes beat" storyline?

Without social media, this is a 100% non issue but in 2019, it has become an interesting story.

The quick version, if you haven't been paying attention, is that Jody was the long time beat writer for the Jazz at the DesNews. During that time, he had a number of run-ins with "Ute twitter". And by "run ins", I mean fights that stretched out over multiple days where Jody was clearly very angry and worked up. (He is a big BYU fan). He would block everyone who even "liked" tweets that opposed him (example: me!).

Jody has a lot of struggles in his personal life. His weight has been a significant problem for him (I think he is 5'7 or so and has been up around 375 according to his blog) that adds to his demeanor. He has talked about depression and anxiety issues. Several years ago, he got off the Jazz beat and got his weight under control. He was reassigned to be a more general interest sports writer. He hasrecently spiraled again in the last year, gaining back 120 pounds and recently is going through a divorce.

That brings us to now where he was again reassigned to the Utes beat. He had to unblock literally hundreds of accounts in order to appeal to ute fans.

I like him as a journalist. He puts a lot of effort into covering the beat and has a genuine talent for it. So people who simply read him in the paper or online probably love the additional coverage.

But for "ute twitter" his past looms large. And barely one month into this new assignment, he has been chased off twitter because a couple of "jokes" as he callsl them (I would absolutely put it more towards trolling) haven't gone well. (He tweeted a couple of pictures of empty sections at RES on saturday which is more tired than it is trolling).

I think VegasUte put it well when he told Jody that the reason he is being panned right now is that family/friends are able to take shots at each other, but outsiders aren't. And right now, Jody is an outsider.

I hope he gets the help he needs. He is clearly not well. IMO, whoever assigned him to the Utes beat was setting him up for failure and really did him a disservice.

Has anyone been following the "Jody Genessy on the Utes beat" storyline?
    I haven't been following. Thanks for the update.

Ute Twitter is sick and needs to quarantine itself in order to recover. Until they stop following and responding to BYU people (especially BYU trolls), I can't see this group as anything worth paying attention to.

For Genessy, the solution is simple. No one needs to read his stuff. We already have plenty of media sources to turn to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Whoever asked the question needs to work on their a and e sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I haven't been following. Thanks for the update.

Ute Twitter is sick and needs to quarantine itself in order to recover. Until they stop following and responding to BYU people (especially BYU trolls), I can't see this group as anything worth paying attention to.

For Genessy, the solution is simple. No one needs to read his stuff. We already have plenty of media sources to turn to.
    I have never read this guy's work and probably won't, but I have to say that Kamrani is killing it on The Athletic with some great coverage.

Both Gunther and Ben now have new jobs. Ben will be covering the JAzz for KSL and Gunther will be hosting on KBER 101 on saturday mornings from 6-10. I cant imagine that pays well.

Both Gunther and Ben now have new jobs. Ben will be covering the JAzz for KSL and Gunther will be hosting on KBER 101 on saturday mornings from 6-10. I cant imagine that pays well.
    KBER!?!?!?! IS Kber still a thing? Well, I guess I can now find out who Gunther is, at least.

I am a huge Ben fan, he's better (and funnier) than 95% of the local talent

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    KBER!?!?!?! IS Kber still a thing? Well, I guess I can now find out who Gunther is, at least.
    Whenever you were here to listen to KBER, they are still playing the same songs!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I am a huge Ben fan, he's better (and funnier) than 95% of the local talent
    I loved him on the Salt City Hoops show on 700. Its too bad that he had his wagon hitched to Gunther. He would make a great host next to someone else, IMO.

Whenever you were here to listen to KBER, they are still playing the same songs!
    9th grade was my KBER year. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    9th grade was my KBER year. Good stuff.

Evan Lake... The waterman.... on KBER 101 Rockin Ogden-Salt Lake and Provo
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla