Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Well both of you so called fans are wrong! Kuzma or Poeltl never had senior seasons.
    Boom!

Sports Media (local and national)

Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.

The guy the Trib layed off, Lynn Worthy, was hired by the Kansas City Star today to cover the Chiefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.
    Been a long time since I read anything Kragthorpe has written.

I think old timey reporters believe their job is to break news. I don't need that in a beat reporter - the news will break either way.

A good beat reporter now is someone who will interact with fans on Twitter and write positive feature articles. Someone who is only critical when necessary and who isn't looking to constantly stir the pot.

Sancho,
    I think we'll see a little of both from Kragthorpe - feature articles and breaking news, probably in that order. I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style. He's been critical at times in his columns but almost apologetically. I hated seeing Lynn Worthy go but Kragthorpe will do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style.
    Thanks. That's good to hear. No pot-stirring is probably #1 on my wish list. I certainly don't mind critical takes when warranted.

-It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell.

-Speaking of Mitchell, he has been hired to do a nightly sports themed show on KSL radio with Alex Kirry from 7-9. That timeslot has been somewhat of a revolving door since the nightside project went off the air a couple of years ago.

-Spence Checketts announced a couple of weeks ago that 1280 has decided to not bring him back and he said he will announce soon where he is going. Id love to see a Bill and Spence reunion but I dont know.

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant. My only (small) argument with the article is that I dont think this has ever been a three horse race. I have only seen real numbers here and there, but my suspicion is that 1280 has been dominating since the 1280/1320 psuedo merger in 2012. I dont think we have had a true ratings battle since before that.

Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    -It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell....

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant.
    Ive always liked Dolce, so Id hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. Im a Bill Riley fan Im surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ive always liked Dolce, so Id hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. Im a Bill Riley fan Im surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.
    Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think hell be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. Ill miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think hell be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. Ill miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.
    Yup, Riley on the PxP, Mitchell as his booth partner.

Yup, Riley on the PxP, Mitchell as his booth partner.

nothing against Mitchell, but I like Dolce. I'm a little bummed by this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    nothing against Mitchell, but I like Dolce. I'm a little bummed by this decision.
    Dolce is great. My wife will even listen to games because Dolce makes her laugh. That is a too bad. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed Dolce will no longer be doing the games. I liked how he was all Utah. However, I can't help but wonder if Bill Riley had something to do with it. He frequently complained about Dolce getting excited and saying something during "his call".