Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Mitchell knows a lot about football and has a lot more experience actually playing the game than Frank. I think he will be very insightful color commentator. Also, he has a calm demeanor. I can’t imagine him getting overwhelmed with excitement during a game. (I will say that Greg Wrubell’s constant 13 year-old girl screaming fits make it fun to listen to him for a minute or two once or twice a season.)
    I know and like Frank. However, his insight on Utah football was limited. He spent 0 time at practice and I don't really think he watched much film of Utah or its opponents. Over the past few years I have listened to Mitchell on the radio. After the first few times, I made it a point to listen to his recordings. I don't know if he went to practice, but it was clear that he had watched games and given them more than a cursory review. I don't listen to the radio broadcasts because I am usually at the games, but I now might be tempted to turn down the sound and listen to the radio broadcast when watching on television.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't listen to the radio broadcasts because I am usually at the games, but I now might be tempted to turn down the sound and listen to the radio broadcast when watching on television.
    The 7 second radio delay makes it hard to listen while watching. But the insight of Bill, Bo, and Scott may be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I know and like Frank. However, his insight on Utah football was limited. He spent 0 time at practice and I don't really think he watched much film of Utah or its opponents. Over the past few years I have listened to Mitchell on the radio. After the first few times, I made it a point to listen to his recordings. I don't know if he went to practice, but it was clear that he had watched games and given them more than a cursory review. I don't listen to the radio broadcasts because I am usually at the games, but I now might be tempted to turn down the sound and listen to the radio broadcast when watching on television.
    This. I love Mitchell’s interviews. I liked Dolce but I’m intrigued to what Mitchell can bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Anderson and Kyle Gunther have grown on me. They are a pretty good radio duo. I find Ben Anderson pretty knowledgeable and pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Ben Anderson and Kyle Gunther have grown on me. They are a pretty good radio duo. I find Ben Anderson pretty knowledgeable and pretty funny.
    Glad to see another person in the Gunther/Ben fan club.

Gunther needed somebody who could play Abbott to his Costello, Martin to his Lewis, or Rowan to his Martin. He and Hackett were just two clowns on stream of consciousness. Anderson brings analysis, insight, and information to the broadcast, and ties Gunther to reality to some extent.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-02-2018 at 01:11 PM.

He's definitely a better straight man to Kyle's antics than Tom.

https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/...79760117669890

Swinney with some interesting thoughts on KG. I disagree with him about KG's talents and while I know he worked hard, I also think Swinney is fairly out of touch with this market as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/...79760117669890

Swinney with some interesting thoughts on KG. I disagree with him about KG's talents and while I know he worked hard, I also think Swinney is fairly out of touch with this market as well.
    He is absolutely right about Gunther being extremely lazy and unprepared. And a blowhard. And not a nice person to coworkers. But Swinney is hurting himself with this extended grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He is absolutely right about Gunther being extremely lazy and unprepared. And a blowhard. And not a nice person to coworkers. But Swinney is hurting himself with this extended grudge.
    Somewhere in the replies, Swinney said his career in radio is over and that he likes what hes doing now. But I agree, hopefully he moves on.

John La Follette (former producer on ESPN 700) weighed in as well saying he enjoyed his time at 700 and that Gunther was the only one he didn't get along with.

The infamous 'Munther' story still makes me laugh and shake my head...........How does someone who behaves that way not get instantly fired, much less another job in the same industry? Together with the time he got suspended for a week from 1280 in 2012, he seems to have some real anger issues that i hope he can get a handle on; perhaps he already has, as he has now managed to go through 2 Pac-12 media days at ESPN 700 without getting kicked out,

Somewhere in the replies, Swinney said his career in radio is over and that he likes what hes doing now. But I agree, hopefully he moves on.

John La Follette (former producer on ESPN 700) weighed in as well saying he enjoyed his time at 700 and that Gunther was the only one he didn't get along with.

The infamous 'Munther' story still makes me laugh and shake my head...........How does someone who behaves that way not get instantly fired, much less another job in the same industry? Together with the time he got suspended for a week from 1280 in 2012, he seems to have some real anger issues that i hope he can get a handle on; perhaps he already has, as he has now managed to go through 2 Pac-12 media days at ESPN 700 without getting kicked out,

LaFollette quit because of Gunther, about 3 months after Gunther replaced OC. Gunther drove him crazy because the producers would prepare a schedule for the show, guests, topics, etc., and Gunther (i) would never prepare to ask appropriate questions, or (ii) would disregard the schedule altogether and just do what he wanted, which was spout b s on and on.

I listen to selected podcast interviews from Riley’s show. Sometimes I listen live while in my car via the TuneIn app, or when I’m in SLC. I never listen to Gunther and am amazed he’s given a show anywhere.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I only care about college football so I find the Gunther hate kind of comical. Other than Hans Olsen, is there any local media member that knows more about the sport?

I know there are some BYU oriented stations with ex-players, but why would I listen to them for insight on the Utes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I only care about college football so I find the Gunther hate kind of comical. Other than Hans Olsen, is there any local media member that knows more about the sport?

I know there are some BYU oriented stations with ex-players, but why would I listen to them for insight on the Utes?
    To answer your first question, no there is not. I would counter by saying that all the knowledge in the world is irrelevant if you don't bother preparing and wing it (confirmed by too many people now to really argue) or worse blatantly make stuff up.

To answer your first question, no there is not. I would counter by saying that all the knowledge in the world is irrelevant if you don't bother preparing and wing it (confirmed by too many people now to really argue) or worse blatantly make stuff up.
    It's real easy to fall into the trap of winging it. Especially in the summer in a non-MLB city, where nobody really cares about the "news of the day," everyone's counting the days to football, and even misinformed football talk is better than no football talk. You can get away with it then. What wrinkles my brow is how someone as ill-prepared as Gunther hasn't been totally exposed in what I've long considered to be an over-saturated market. (Actually, that was a rhetorical question -- I know the answer: They get better jobs elsewhere, like Ian Furniss, for example).

When it comes to the non-prep and making stuff-up accusations, is that in regards to other sports or recruiting? He seems to be very prepared on Utah and PAC12 football. I am admittedly one of the least knowledgeable regarding sports on this board, so I would like to know if I am being misinformed. I am not trying to be combative, I truly value your opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    When it comes to the non-prep and making stuff-up accusations, is that in regards to other sports or recruiting? He seems to be very prepared on Utah and PAC12 football. I am admittedly one of the least knowledgeable regarding sports on this board, so I would like to know if I am being misinformed. I am not trying to be combative, I truly value your opinion on this.
    Swinney, having done 50 shows with Gunther over the years says that Kyle uses the Phil Steele guide for his takes. So while you may not be getting made up info about college football as a whole, it appears he doesn't try to keep up to date. Even here among the Utes, I don't get the impression that he has deep connections on the team, nor does he ever break any news.

Both Ben and Gunther make stuff up about the NBA and while I have low expectations of Kyle, it disappoints me when Ben does it. They like to pull what I call a Peter Vecsey maneuver........"This player seems like he would be a good fit to me for the Jazz, and therefore they will try to sign him or trade for him." Obviously, that is not how things work and they did it throughout the draft/offseason.

From my observations, what makes KG so unpopular at least here on the internet is that he has breathtakingly thin skin. Oh you disagree with him? Well, it doesn't matter because you didn't play for 4 years and so he is right and you are wrong by default. By the way, you're now blocked from his twitter feed for this outrage. Oh you are skeptical about something he said? Well here is a DM trashing you and calling you names and again, youre wrong because he played 4 years at Utah and youre also blocked. He is very weak at making an argument. In his mind, he can say whatever he wants and his "career" is all the back up he needs. Certainly, a 4 year career means a lot, but its not even close to a trump card.

Swinney, having done 50 shows with Gunther over the years says that Kyle uses the Phil Steele guide for his takes. So while you may not be getting made up info about college football as a whole, it appears he doesn't try to keep up to date. Even here among the Utes, I don't get the impression that he has deep connections on the team, nor does he ever break any news.

Both Ben and Gunther make stuff up about the NBA and while I have low expectations of Kyle, it disappoints me when Ben does it. They like to pull what I call a Peter Vecsey maneuver........"This player seems like he would be a good fit to me for the Jazz, and therefore they will try to sign him or trade for him." Obviously, that is not how things work and they did it throughout the draft/offseason.

From my observations, what makes KG so unpopular at least here on the internet is that he has breathtakingly thin skin. Oh you disagree with him? Well, it doesn't matter because you didn't play for 4 years and so he is right and you are wrong by default. By the way, you're now blocked from his twitter feed for this outrage. Oh you are skeptical about something he said? Well here is a DM trashing you and calling you names and again, youre wrong because he played 4 years at Utah and youre also blocked. He is very weak at making an argument. In his mind, he can say whatever he wants and his "career" is all the back up he needs. Certainly, a 4 year career means a lot, but its not even close to a trump card.
    UMS, thanks for the detailed response. I can see how those issues can rub some people the wrong way.

Our old pal, the quote tweeting machine Tony Jones is leaving the sl trib. Bill Riley tweeted something like "woah! I had no idea... *wink emoji*" Tony to ESPN 700?

Our old pal, the quote tweeting machine Tony Jones is leaving the sl trib. Bill Riley tweeted something like "woah! I had no idea... *wink emoji*" Tony to ESPN 700?
    It would be a great move by Tony, a pre-emptive strike of sorts against a future layoff, either at the Trib or another newspaper. But his experience with Utah sports was short and he's been with the Jazz for several years. What would Riley bring him in to do?

For weeks I've been seeing whispers that The Athletic was going to get someone in SLC to cover the Jazz and local colleges. I think Tony would make a lot of sense in that role. My bet is that Bill Riley knew about these same whispers and that is what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    The Athletic
    I hate that site. Pay a monthly fee to read some dude's power rankings? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hate that site. Pay a monthly fee to read some dude's power rankings? No thanks.
    Yeah. It's a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Yeah. It's a lot more than that.
    I used to read all those guys. Every article. The thing that you notice once they start charging money is that they really weren't adding to your understanding. I know as much (or little) as I did before. The difference is that I have more time because I don't read as many articles. There's just no way I'm going to spend money on stuff I can get for free.

Interesting to see Dolce suddenly becoming a twitter warrior after almost never doing social media when he was on the broadcast team

I heard Jordan Wynn on yesterday as the Monday Morning Quarterback. I guess Dolce is 100% gone. Wynn sounded very good, much less quirky than Dolce.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I heard Jordan Wynn on yesterday as the Monday Morning Quarterback. I guess Dolce is 100% gone. Wynn sounded very good, much less quirky than Dolce.
    Dolce is working for 1280

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Dolce is working for 1280
    Aha. He's joined the ranks of broadcasters I never listen to.

--Yeats

I’m hearing a broadcast right now on KSL radio, where Scott Mitchell is one of the cohosts. Apparently he does this a couple of nights a week. Is this new? Can the color guy for Utah football be a regular on a KSL sports show?

--Yeats

I’m hearing a broadcast right now on KSL radio, where Scott Mitchell is one of the cohosts. Apparently he does this a couple of nights a week. Is this new? Can the color guy for Utah football be a regular on a KSL sports show?
    He was doing the ksl stuff before ESPN700

And yeah, Dolce did TV and radio appearances the last couple of years.