Thread: In the Interest of Ecumenism

In the Interest of Ecumenism

Hello. I am Harry Tic. Shortly after I joined CUF CS, many of the best posters on that board emigrated. That probably tells you all you need to know about me.

Although my primary sports loyalties lie with that school to the south, I do have some Ute ties as well (I was a PhD student in philosophy at the U about ten years ago) and, rivalry week aside, like to see the Utes do well. I came to realize that I was a piss-poor Cougar fan when I found myself emotionally invested in the Utes' BB championship bid in 1998 and in their Fiesta and Sugar Bowl games. I guess blood is thicker than water and all that.

I hope to drop in every now and then in a bid to prove to myself that I was not the sole reason for CUF's demise evolution.

BTW, at the risk of making myself seem like an utter idiot (oh, what the hell. Who am I trying to kid?)... how do I upload my avatar? I uploaded my profile pic but I'm drawing a blank on figuring out how to do the whole avatar thing.
    Last edited by Harry Tic; 04-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Welcome, Harry Tongue-in-Cheek! Don't be a stranger. We welcome all Utes, especially PhD Utes.

Harry TIC, welcome. To upload an avatar click on "Settings" at the top right of the screen, then look for "Edit Avatar" on the left. Click there and follow the prompts. Good luck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Harry TIC, welcome. To upload an avatar click on "Settings" at the top right of the screen, then look for "Edit Avatar" on the left. Click there and follow the prompts. Good luck.
    Thanks, LA Ute and Applejack. You were wise to wish me luck. Nothing's a slam dunk when it comes to me and technology.

Awesome.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Yeah, whatever happened to that PhD?
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Yeah, whatever happened to that PhD?
    It started getting in the way of my day job as shift manager at the Village Inn (a position for which it prepared me quite well).

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Isn't there a period after the Ph? Did I really back the wrong grammarian on the other board?! Nooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Isn't there a period after the Ph? Did I really back the wrong grammarian on the other board?! Nooooooooooo
    It's optional. M.D. or MD? CBE or C.B.E.?
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes