View Poll Results: Should Ed Rush be fired?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 88.46%
  • No

1 3.85%
  • We don't know enough yet

2 7.69%

Thread: NEW POLL: Should Ed Rush be fired for comments about Sean Miller during P12 tourney?

NEW POLL: Should Ed Rush be fired for comments about Sean Miller during P12 tourney?

http://deadspin.com/pac-12-head-of-o...ffic-464911461

Not sure if this is an April Fools joke, but I don't think people would joke about this.

Edit: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...as-sean-miller Like Diehard said it looks like the deadspin article came from Cbssports.

Mike & Mike were talking about it this morning. Larry Scott claims the comments made by Rush were not in a serious nature, and steps have been taken so it doesn't happen again. Not sure what to think about that.
    Last edited by Slim; 04-02-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Given that the article is based entirely on a CBS Sports article I'd say it's legit.

Here's Jeff Goodman's CBS Sports article. I just listened to him on Dan Patrick's show and came away thinking Ed Rush really should be fired. Here's an article that thinks Rush should at least be severely punished. I don't think the director of officials in a major conference should be saying such things, even in jest. Miller got a raw deal, IMO. I didn't know that was his first "T" of the entire season.

Props to Slim for noticing this story!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Vilma was punished for promising a bounty in jest. This is similar, but he could get away with it because it doesn't carry the same need for damage control that bounty gate did.
    I don't think the credibility hit on PAC-12 officiating will go away unless Rush is canned.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    http://deadspin.com/pac-12-head-of-o...ffic-464911461

Not sure if this is an April Fools joke, but I don't think people would joke about this.

Edit: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...as-sean-miller Like Diehard said it looks like the deadspin article came from Cbssports.

Mike & Mike were talking about it this morning. Larry Scott claims the comments made by Rush were not in a serious nature, and steps have been taken so it doesn't happen again. Not sure what to think about that.
    He should be fired. His comments are bullshit. The only reason he would even make comments like that is because of his own ego. And Miller did get tee'd up--evidence that the refs absolutely took it seriously. This guy is a joke. More Pac 12 BS officiating that needs to be cleaned up.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So officials can change games, sorry tooblue.

Thanks. I was hesitant to post it being April Fools, but it turned out to be a legit story.

Mike & Mike also had Mike Goodman on, and after listening to him I agree that Ed Rush should be fired. There is no place for it, joking or no joking, especially after the Tim Donaghy incident. I remember watching Miller's press conference after the game and thinking to myself that it was a horrible call (the double dribble), and then that Miller's Technical was called really fast and was unwarranted. With the story coming out now it does make sense.

My sister used to work for the Jazz in the front office and I used to tell her that all the games were fixed. I did it mainly to get a reaction our of her and it usually worked. The head of officiating during that time? Ed Rush.

True or not, it doesn't shed a good light on the PAC-12. If nothing happens to Rush, there will always be that thought in the back of peoples mind when a call is made. They will think whether or not something was said to the officials, especially if it happens to Arizona.
    Last edited by Slim; 04-02-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Yep, he should be fired.

As a coach or player you should know that you start every game with a clean slate and a technical should only be called if it is warranted based on what you do in that game. I think what he said to the refs (even in jest) is totally inappropriate

Not knowing the context in which the remark was made I don't think we can judge fairly if Rush should lose his job. Uncle Larry, on the other hand, had the situation investigated and determined that it was much ado about nothing.

How many of us have made jokingly absurd comments about someone in what we thought was a confidential meeting never meaning for them to be taken seriously? I know I have.

We sit anonymously behind computer monitors not knowing fully the facts and call for Ed Rush's head. Larry Scott knows the facts based on the investigation performed and publicly calls the situation nothing serious and takes steps to correct the behavior. Nothing to see, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    Not knowing the context in which the remark was made I don't think we can judge fairly if Rush should lose his job. Uncle Larry, on the other hand, had the situation investigated and determined that it was much ado about nothing.

How many of us have made jokingly absurd comments about someone in what we thought was a confidential meeting never meaning for them to be taken seriously? I know I have.

We sit anonymously behind computer monitors not knowing fully the facts and call for Ed Rush's head. Larry Scott knows the facts based on the investigation performed and publicly calls the situation nothing serious and takes steps to correct the behavior. Nothing to see, move on.
    Corvan, you're fired.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post

While I get what you are saying, there are certain things that you do not joke about when in certain professions...period. It would be similar to having a tally sheet for all of the patients that you accidentally killed while in residency.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Blog Entries
    An NBA official with an agenda, that's gotta be a first!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    An NBA official with an agenda, that's gotta be a first!
    You're not fired, HFN, but you're on probation.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Corvan, you're fired.
    Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. Trump

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You're not fired, HFN, but you're on probation.
    Double secret probation?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Double secret probation?
    Sure, why not?

--Yeats

If Rush is so penny-unwise and pound foolish to give away such extravagance for such a trifling matter, then why the concern about his job? Can him, let him live off his accumulated wealth and let him labor in a lesser profile organization. There's much more at risk for the PAC 12 than one mans livelihood. Put it up to the vote of the leagues coaches already and let's see where they stand

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If Rush is so penny-unwise and pound foolish to give away such extravagance for such a trifling matter, then why the concern about his job? Can him, let him live off his accumulated wealth and let him labor in a lesser profile organization. There's much more at risk for the PAC 12 than one mans livelihood. Put it up to the vote of the leagues coaches already and let's see where they stand
    Yeah I don't think this is going to go away and I don't see how Rush and the refs he supervises can have any credibility with the coaches going forward.

So not once but TWICE Rush "jokes" about how much he wants his refs to T up Miller. Then the refs in fact to go out and T Miller up at a critical moment when Miller uses no profanity and when the replay shows that Miller was right -- they missed the call. And then Arizona loses by 2 points.

Really those facts are not disputed and are pretty damning for Rush -- honestly I don't see how he can continue in his job and for the refs to have any credibility with coaches or fans. If Rush keeps his job then Miller pretty much should say whatever he wants next season and dare the refs to T him up.

Pac-12 head of officials investigated for targeting Arizona's Sean Miller

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...tball/21989633

Pac-12 coordinator of basketball officials and former NBA referee Ed Rush has been investigated by the Pac-12 for comments made about Arizona coach Sean Miller in meetings that included several Pac-12 referees.
    Rush, according to a source within the Pac-12 officiating group, told a group of referees on the Thursday of the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas that he would give them $5,000 or a trip to Cancun if they either "rang him up" or "ran him," meaning hit Miller with a technical or toss him out of the game. Rush then reiterated during a Friday morning meeting, according to one referee in attendance, that officials should take similar action against Miller if he did anything on Friday in the Pac-12 semifinals against UCLA.
    "He was emphatic about not dealing with him (Miller)," the ref told CBSSports.com. "He made that perfectly clear."

Probably they talk this way all the time. Like burn surgeons' gallows humor. But someone had it in for Rush.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Probably they talk this way all the time. Like burn surgeons' gallows humor. But someone had it in for Rush.
    How many other times does the coach actually get unnecessarily T'ed up?

I think the way the PAC 12 Commish is handling this only adds fuel to the fire to those who believe the PAC 12 Ref's have little obligation to be fair in any way.. When you have your own Commish backing you on such a blantant issue like this. It can only solidify their feelings that they are not held accountable in any way..

Watching halftime of the NIT final and they announced that Rush has resigned. Both talking heads agreed that was the right move by Rush and it needed to happen.