Thread: Do we FINALLY have a great Mormon novel?

Do we FINALLY have a great Mormon novel?

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

This looks a little too serious for me. Let us know if it's any good.

You didn't like The Backslider?
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Backslider.../dp/1560850159
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

My guess is probably not. But I have downloaded this one to my Kindle and will let you know.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Given that you refuse to read any books related to Mormonism, you unfortunately won't be able to make that judgment.

I just ordered a copy. I will let you know what I think.

Sounds too much like the Naked Communist.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Does "the lonely polygamist" by Udall count as a Mormon novel? I have heard that it is very good, and it received good critical reviews.

What about Stegner's novels? They deal with Mormonism sometimes. Speaking of Stegner, when I saw this monument to Eugene O'Neil in Connecticut,

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2773/4...18616a7e_z.jpg

,I thought that SLC should put a Stegner monument downtown somewhere. Maybe near the City Creek center. He is our best and most famous author, was very cool, and was a friend to Mormons, intellectuals, environmentalists, and pretty much everyone.
    I thought "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" by Udall was very good.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So you didn't enjoy Twilight?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I thought "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" by Udall was very good.
    I think The Lonely Polygamist and The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint are the frontrunners for the great Mormon novel.

SU, you should read these. Really good books. I bought Elders and will probably get around to it in a few months.

What does the review say?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

NPR (Fresh Air specifically) did an interview with the author. Here is a link to the audio.