Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You’re beginning to catch the vision.
    The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.
    You’re going to die in a duel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You’re going to die in a duel?

I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.

The Official NBA Thread

I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.
    I think being a Scot has been mostly a state of mind after James 1 became king. The dividing line got blurrier and blurrier over the decades after that. When Bonnie Prince Charlie failed to retake the throne most Scots decided they were British now.

Funny family story: After the Battle of Culloden (when Charlie’s dreams were dashed forever) the English cracked down on Scottish customs and even persecuted people whose surnames were very Gaelic-sounding. In order to survive, be able to get jobs, etc., many Scottish people (including my ancestors) changed their names to ones like Brown, Green, White, etc. If you have strong Scottish ancestry and your surname is one of those, it probably was another name prior to about Culloden in 1750. (Our family name was McGonigle.) Anyway, my third great grandfather was so angry at the English for causing the loss of the family name that he christened my great-great grandfather with two given names -- Cambell McLeod. We have no Campbells or McLeods in our family line. He just wanted to make a statement with two very Gaelic/Scottish names for his son. Those two given names persist in my family to this day. Alba gu bràth!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think being a Scot has been mostly a state of mind after James 1 became king. The dividing line got blurrier and blurrier over the decades after that. When Bonnie Prince Charlie failed to retake the throne most Scots decided they were British now.

Funny family story: After the Battle of Culloden (when Charlie’s dreams were dashed forever) the English cracked down on Scottish customs and even persecuted people whose surnames were very Gaelic-sounding. In order to survive, be able to get jobs, etc., many Scottish people (including my ancestors) changed their names to ones like Brown, Green, White, etc. If you have strong Scottish ancestry and your surname is one of those, it probably was another name prior to about Culloden in 1750. (Our family name was McGonigle.) Anyway, my third great grandfather was so angry at the English for causing the loss of the family name that he christened my great-great grandfather with two given names -- Cambell McLeod. We have no Campbells or McLeods in our family line. He just wanted to make a statement with two very Gaelic/Scottish names for his son. Those two given names persist in my family to this day. Alba gu bràth!
    Hmmm... my mother's line are Blacks (the name) going back to the same area and time period. My last name is Dutch but my ancestors are German. They trace back to a German town named Rindern and it ends there. I found an article about the history of the sea port town which for a long period of time was controlled by the Dutch royalty. It noted that many Germans there changed their names to Dutch names to ingratiate themselves to the Dutch royalty.

I think we know why the name dead ends there.

So that'd mean I'm coming from brown nosers on both sides.

You guys are great by the way.

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 06-02-2018 at 09:13 AM.

The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hmmm... my mother's line are Blacks (the name) going back to the same area and time period. My last name is Dutch but my ancestors are German. They trace back to a German town named Rindern and it ends there. I found an article about the history of the sea port town which for a long period of time was controlled by the Dutch royalty. It noted that many Germans their changed their names to Dutch names to ingratiate themselves to the Dutch royalty.

I think we know why the name dead ends there.

So that'd mean I'm coming from brown nosers on both sides.

You guys are great by the way.

If your Black surname is Scottish in origin and you can’t find any ancestors in that line prior to the mid-1700s, chances are you had some Highlander rebel ancestors with a name like MacRocker. Don’t blame them; they were just trying to fit in.

Last edited by LA Ute; 06-02-2018 at 01:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    not sure if this is good or bad for Koozma? my first reaction was it has to be bad.

Here's Tyler rawson getting worked in summer league
    https://twitter.com/ringer/status/10...703559169?s=19
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Kuzma had a double-double tonight.

--Yeats

Kuzma hurt his back last night, MRI today.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Best Aussie bball player of all time. 2nd face from the left on the Australian Mt Rushmore.

The NBA is tough right now. I root for the Lakers because of Kuzma, the Jazz because that's the team of my youth, and the Nuggets because I'm in Denver. Now I can add the Warriors to the list. If they win it all, I will claim that it's because of Bogues.

The NBA is tough right now. I root for the Lakers because of Kuzma, the Jazz because that's the team of my youth, and the Nuggets because I'm in Denver. Now I can add the Warriors to the list. If they win it all, I will claim that it's because of Bogues.
    It sure wont be because of Draymond or Boogie.

Dirk makes it official.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxKsUfHLEE

I get that the real GOAT comes down to MJ or Lebron (I've got Lebron), but, in the mUUser house, Dirk is, and will always be the GOAT. On the whole, he did it the way a GOAT should do it.

- 21 productive years with the same organization
    - by most accounts, a tremendous teammate
    - loved by the locals, including the media
    - reasonably humble given his celebrity
    - family guy
    - defeated a heavily favored Heat for the championship
    - stepped back late in his career without complaint
    - politically neutral (at least fairly silent)
    - has a truckload of individual accomplishments, but, a great bench guy too
    - No fairwell tour

Not to mention I loved his 3Q dunk.....just hung there for a few seconds to soak in the applause. And the cherry on top?....his final home bucket was scored in the face of the great Jimmer Fredette. Who could ask for a greater career?

Now to Luca Doncic, next man up.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Hats off to Dirk for not turning his final season into a yearlong farewell tour. He did it the right way.

Hats off to Dirk for not turning his final season into a yearlong farewell tour. He did it the right way.
    I've always liked Dirk too, but I also like Dwyane Wade. I don't mind that he swapped jerseys with people all season long. He was great to watch at Marquette, and he was amazing in Miami before LeBron took over.

Great battles between these two in the 2006 and 2011 Finals, with each guy getting one.

Just one more first round playoff series. On to the 2nd round, series ranked from most to least intriguing:

1. GS vs Houston. Who to root for? The Warriors are the Patriots, but Houston is boring. Durant is a baby, but Harden is the embodiment of much that is wrong with the game of basketball.
    2. Milwaukee vs Boston. Go Bucks, no doubt on this one.
    3. Nuggets/Spurs vs Trailblazers. Go Nuggets, of course. They weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this season.
    4. Toronto vs Philly. I'm rooting for The Process, just because it is so ridiculous and it was botched in so many ways.

I watched the Jazz again this postseason. This is a team that can compete on hustle in the regular season, but in the postseason, you need stars. The Jazz have just one star, and one defensive stopper. Everyone else is more or less expendable. I always see tweets about how valuable Favors is to this team, and I never see it in the postseason.

Bogut and Poeltl are still alive in this postseason!

Just one more first round playoff series. On to the 2nd round, series ranked from most to least intriguing:

1. GS vs Houston. Who to root for? The Warriors are the Patriots, but Houston is boring. Durant is a baby, but Harden is the embodiment of much that is wrong with the game of basketball.
    2. Milwaukee vs Boston. Go Bucks, no doubt on this one.
    3. Nuggets/Spurs vs Trailblazers. Go Nuggets, of course. They weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this season.
    4. Toronto vs Philly. I'm rooting for The Process, just because it is so ridiculous and it was botched in so many ways.

I watched the Jazz again this postseason. This is a team that can compete on hustle in the regular season, but in the postseason, you need stars. The Jazz have just one star, and one defensive stopper. Everyone else is more or less expendable. I always see tweets about how valuable Favors is to this team, and I never see it in the postseason.

Bogut and Poeltl are still alive in this postseason!
    No respect for the Clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    No respect for the Clips.
    That's right, none.

That's right, none.
    Let's be honest, everyone should be rooting for the Clippaz in game 6 and game 7. If you think the nuggets were counted to before the year began, what do you call the Clippers preseason predictions.

You are just blinded by your love of all things from the John Denver state.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Let's be honest, everyone should be rooting for the Clippaz in game 6 and game 7. If you think the nuggets were counted to before the year began, what do you call the Clippers preseason predictions.

You are just blinded by your love of all things from the John Denver state.
    Sure, I'll root for them. Just like I'll root for The Citadel vs Alabama this Fall.

The Clippers and the Nets both made the playoffs with no recognizable players this year. Not even the coach of the Clippers can name anyone on the team.

What sets Denver apart is that they actually have a chance to go from nothing to the 2nd round of the playoffs. The Clips don't have that chance.

My 'cheering' picks are as follows:

Houston- The warriors have been to the finals 4 times in a row. If that isn't enough, I am very tired of their act as a whole. I agree on hating Harden's game, but I gained some respect for him in that series. Even if it was just a little, its enough that I just want to see them knock the Warriors out.

Milwaukee- As long as Gordon Hayward is on Boston, I will root against them, my Red Sox fandom not withstanding.

Blazers- Lillard is a really cool story to me.

Toronto- Theyve jettisoned both Utes, but Ben Simmons is a clown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I agree on hating Harden's game, but I gained some respect for him in that series.
    I have a lot of respect for Harden. He has turned his game into an absolute science. He knows precisely what is needed to get his shot off or to draw a foul.

The problem is that there is no joy in this. He's not fun to watch unless you enjoy the meticulousness of it all. He scores a huge percentage of his points from the free throw line. The beard is great, though.

What percentage of a playoff game's time is spent at the free throw line?

Why are people okay with the idea that someone can pretend they were shooting all along when they get fouled at half court?

What percentage of a playoff game's time is spent at the free throw line?

Why are people okay with the idea that someone can pretend they were shooting all along when they get fouled at half court?
    I'm old enough to remember when the NBA allowed 3 foul shots. At one time if you were fouled you got 3 shots to make two.

Bow tie, Terry Stott? That's a no from me. Go Nuggets!

I'd like to see the NBA turn the tables on players like Harden who initiate contact with the defensive player. Granted, it's tough to see it in real time but jumping into a player or putting the ball under a players outstretched arms and the making contact without really intending to score the basketball should be the fault of the offensive player. Stockton was a master at the former as was Kobe Bryant. It's time for the league to look at plays like that and either ignore making a call or call it on the offensive player. It would help make the NBA more watchable.