Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Watched my first NBA of the year last night. Pelicans/Blazers.

Here's the playoffs:

Pacers/Cavs. Go Cavs. If the Raptors don't get to the finals, the Cavs are the next most interesting option.
    Jazz/Thunder. Go Jazz, but it's close. Westbrook just averaged a triple double AGAIN. I'm giving him the MVP every year until he doesn't average a triple double. I would love to see him beat the Warriors or Rockets.
    TWolves/Rockets. As much as I love the beard, I can't stand stars like Harden who get so many of their points on the line. It's just not fun.
    Sixers/Heat. I like Embiid, but I would love to see an 80 year old DWade keep playing well.
    Blazers/Pelicans. Go unibrow. Nothing really interesting about the blazers.
    Warriors/Spurs. I don't think it matters who I'm rooting for. Warriors advance.
    Raptors/Wizards. Toronto is the favorite of Ute fans everywhere.
    Celtics/Bucks. Gotta root for the Greek.
    The best moment of the playoffs so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8u7t8YAV4

The best moment of the playoffs so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8u7t8YAV4
    I'm kind of enjoying the Westbrook meltdown. His postgame press conferences,"shut (Rubio's) sh!t down", and then "it's more than me and him, let's get past that" are pretty funny.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The Official NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm kind of enjoying the Westbrook meltdown. His postgame press conferences,"shut (Rubio's) sh!t down", and then "it's more than me and him, let's get past that" are pretty funny.
    I bought my car from Russell Westbrook Jeep here in Los Angeles. It’s a very well-run dealership, and there’s a basketball court in the showroom. That’s all I have for you right now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I bought my car from Russell Westbrook Jeep here in Los Angeles. It’s a very well-run dealership, and there’s a basketball court in the showroom. That’s all I have for you right now.

Once when I was driving across country, I stopped in at the Larry Bird auto dealership in French Lick, Indiana. It had a parquet floor.

Westbrook is the best thing in the NBA right now. Well, 2nd best after Stephenson's wresting the ball from Lebron and holding it up like a trophy as the crowd goes wild.

"I thought Delon Wright did a good job down the stretch handling the ball," Casey said. "It gave us an opportunity for Kyle and DeMar to get off the ball a little bit more and I thought that was the difference."
    Wright scored 11 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter, and Valanciunas had 14 points and 13 rebounds as the Raptors improved to 5-0 in home Game 5s over the past five years.
    "Delon Wright came in and made some big shots and big plays for them," Washington's John Wall said. "Whenever he gets over 10 or 15, nine times out of 10 they win the game. He's a big key to their team when they go small."
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 04-25-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Andrew Bogut leaving the NBA
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Andrew Bogut leaving the NBA
    Greatest Australian basketball player of all time. Perhaps the greatest Australian of all time.

Greatest Australian basketball player of all time. Perhaps the greatest Australian of all time.
    Which made it all the more sad when I discovered he followed kooks like Alex Jones and Mike Cernovich on Twitter. There are just some things I'm not going to tolerate.

But yeah, his legacy and status in Aussie hoops is pretty secure for probably another 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Which made it all the more sad when I discovered he followed kooks like Alex Jones and Mike Cernovich on Twitter. There are just some things I'm not going to tolerate.

But yeah, his legacy and status in Aussie hoops is pretty secure for probably another 50 years.
    I'm not sure who those people are.

Australian Mt Rushmore: Bogut, Rod Stewart, Elle Macpherson, and Crocodile Dundee. Did I miss anyone?

Australian Mt Rushmore: Bogut, Rod Stewart, Elle Macpherson, and Crocodile Dundee. Did I miss anyone?
    Luc Longley - fear the mullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't I see the tweet?

From Krystkowiak-

40 percent of tonites starters and NBA All Rookie team from PAC12. #leaguetranslates
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 05-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Rod Stewart is English. What about Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, or Geoffrey Rush?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Rod Stewart is English. What about Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, or Geoffrey Rush?

Oops. In that case, Steve Irvin.

Oops. In that case, Steve Irvin.
    Ned Kelly has my vote.

Double game 7's. Can't ask for more than that. Funny that so few of the games have been close.

Double game 7's. Can't ask for more than that. Funny that so few of the games have been close.
    First time since 1979 i read.

Cate Blanchett is second only to Meryl Streep as the best actress of our era.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Cate Blanchett is second only to Meryl Streep as the best actress of our era.
    Which is enough to be a runner-up for the Australian Mt Rushmore.

That was one of the all time ugly game 7's. James is obviously great, but beating Toronto was more impressive than beating this Celtics team. Look at that Boston roster. Not pretty.

I'm thinking whoever comes out of the west wins in 5. I hope, though, that LeBron somehow manages to make it interesting. That would be special and meaningful in ways that go far beyond his dominance over the eastern conference.

Table is set for Lebron to convince everyone that he is the greatest of all time. Seems very unlikely that this Cavs team hangs with the Warriors.

Totally behind here and off thread topic, but Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, and Hugh Jackman have to be on that list.

That is about all I can contribute to the NBA thread.

Game had all of what makes basketball great and most of what makes basketball terrible. I feel for the Cavs, but I also feel for basketball fans. A Cleveland win would have made this series so much more interesting.

Table is set for Lebron to convince everyone that he is the greatest of all time. Seems very unlikely that this Cavs team hangs with the Warriors.

My generation is just gonna have to deal with the fact that Lebron is the GOAT.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Rod Stewart is English.
    Bite your tongue. He's a Scot.

--Yeats

Bite your tongue. He's a Scot.
    Scottish and English ancestry, but born and raised in London.

Scottish and English ancestry, but born and raised in London.
    I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/nqU...qU0u9v6U0I</a>

--Yeats

I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

http://<a href="https://youtu.be/nqU...qU0u9v6U0I</a>
    That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.

That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.
    You’re beginning to catch the vision.

--Yeats