Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
I've talked to many out of state LDS folks who couldn't handle it down there. I think even the most ardent LDS would admit being LDS in Provo is different than elsewhere, and that can be a big negative for many.
The Utah County bubble as opposed to the Utah bubble is a distinction that always makes me chuckle. For those of us who have spent the majority of our lives outside of Utah, all of Utah and Southeastern Idaho constitute the bubble. I'm an LDS from out of state that struggles a lot in Utah for many cultural reasons. But they are certainly not limited ot Utah County. I have lived in Logan (albeit during school which is a bit different), Salt Lake (East Millcreek to be precise), Lehi, Kaysville, and Cedar Hills. I don't fine the Utah County bubble much different than anywhere else. In fact, Salt Lake was a worse experience because there is a real "us vs. them" mentality from some people on both sides.

When you spend your life where NONE of your neighbors are LDS, the distinction between nearly all of them (Utah County) and just half of them (Salt Lake) doesn't really mean anything. It's still Mormonia.

The weirdest people / ward we have EVER been in was in Salt Lake.