Thread: The Higher Education Thread

Hybrid View

Guys, thank you for answering my questions. Sorry to have hijacked the thread but you guys have knowledge that I don't have. I never went to a four year school. Somehow I've done ok and work in sales for a Fortune 100 company. I think we will apply to UNC as a reach, NC State, Texas A&M (the only school he has expressed interest in )Utah, Utah State and hope this last semester of his junior year his GPA improves. Most of my college educated ward friends are Y-Provo or Y- Idaho and I've heard mixed things on BYU-Idaho.

We are also hoping his SAT goes up in May as he is taking a prep class. His AP honors English teacher who has taught for 30 years says he frustrates her as she feels he has Ivy league smarts if he is interested in subject. Loved Russian one and two and got 100's. But if he has no interest like Chemistry this past semester he pulled a C. I wish schools would look and accept on strengths if his major match's that strength. Thank you guys for sharing with me
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 04-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hang out around here long enough and hopefully you will have heard mixed things on BYU-Provo too!
    People get lost there too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    People get lost there too.
    I've talked to many out of state LDS folks who couldn't handle it down there. I think even the most ardent LDS would admit being LDS in Provo is different than elsewhere, and that can be a big negative for many.

Diehard, are you LEO ? If so what degree is considered most valuable ?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Diehard, are you LEO ? If so what degree is considered most valuable ?
    I am. Honestly most departments really don't seem to care what your degree is in, more that you have one (although it's still not required)

A criminal justice degree is probably most applicable. Mine is in ornamental horticulture, hasn't held me back haha

My line of work is about common sense and the ability to control emotions, spelling is just a big bonus

My sons always had an interest in LE. Not sure if it will hold through college as some weeks he expresses interest in other areas. My brother in law was LE and did 20 years and retired at 44.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    My sons always had an interest in LE. Not sure if it will hold through college as some weeks he expresses interest in other areas. My brother in law was LE and did 20 years and retired at 44.
    That has been my U. grad (next month) son's ambition since childhood. Now he will have a degree in Sociology and a criminal justice certificate and we will see how he does getting on somewhere.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I've talked to many out of state LDS folks who couldn't handle it down there. I think even the most ardent LDS would admit being LDS in Provo is different than elsewhere, and that can be a big negative for many.
    The Utah County bubble as opposed to the Utah bubble is a distinction that always makes me chuckle. For those of us who have spent the majority of our lives outside of Utah, all of Utah and Southeastern Idaho constitute the bubble. I'm an LDS from out of state that struggles a lot in Utah for many cultural reasons. But they are certainly not limited ot Utah County. I have lived in Logan (albeit during school which is a bit different), Salt Lake (East Millcreek to be precise), Lehi, Kaysville, and Cedar Hills. I don't fine the Utah County bubble much different than anywhere else. In fact, Salt Lake was a worse experience because there is a real "us vs. them" mentality from some people on both sides.

When you spend your life where NONE of your neighbors are LDS, the distinction between nearly all of them (Utah County) and just half of them (Salt Lake) doesn't really mean anything. It's still Mormonia.

The weirdest people / ward we have EVER been in was in Salt Lake.