Thread: 2012 Utah vs Colorado and Wilson in 4th Qtr

2012 Utah vs Colorado and Wilson in 4th Qtr

Just watch a replay on the PAC channel of the game. In the 4th quarter, the Utes had the ball 3 times. The first possession, the Utes were trailing 21-20. Wilson hit some key passes and on 3rd and 8 Wilson scrambled for a first down and White scored on the next play. On the next drive, Wilson again hit a couple of key passes and then Wilson scrambled for a touchdown. The final possession was a 3 run 3 and out. While Wilson still has a lot to improve on and prove, I had forgotten that he came through when it mattered against Colorado.

Ya, I feel the perception of his play last year would be a lot better if people took the time to rewatch his games and realize he was a true freshman who was thrown into starting mid year. He was inconsistent for sure but I think that is to be expected.

Watch the Arizona game as well. It is a good mix of the potential of Wilson and the freshman in Wilson.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I watched some of the AZ game recently and I thought he looked solid. I think we have a lot to look forward to from Travis.

EDIT: Ha, beaten to it.

all doing this with a coordinator that really had no clue. I love brian and everything he has meant to utah. but no way in hell was he ready to be that guy. the offensive sets and fluidity was absolutely terrible and the play calling was atrocious. the example given from the colorado game is the perfect one. he is moving the ball and making plays, brian then goes and takes the ball out of his hands and goes with three straight runs. very, very questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Postiez View Post
    Ya, I feel the perception of his play last year would be a lot better if people took the time to rewatch his games and realize he was a true freshman who was thrown into starting mid year. He was inconsistent for sure but I think that is to be expected.

I don't want to give the idea that we can't have a good team this year. I've got no problem with Travis as I think he can only get better under Erickson. Which is why I pay little to no regard to what Travis did last year as being some kind of indicator of what will happen this year. Because our offense flat-out stunk against Arizona and Colorado last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't want to give the idea that we can't have a good team this year. I've got no problem with Travis as I think he can only get better under Erickson. Which is why I pay little to no regard to what Travis did last year as being some kind of indicator of what will happen this year. Because our offense flat-out stunk against Arizona and Colorado last year.
    Ding, ding. You can't really bring anything forward from last year to predict this year. We are so different. Compare game 1 last year to game 1 this year.

Wilson is better than Wynn and Hayes
    White was great, but was hurt in the first game. We have more depth at RB than last year.
    Our WR's were terrible last year. At worst, this position is a push.
    Our TE's should be better this year.
    Our OL should be light years better.
    Our DL might not be as talented, but they definitely look to be deeper.
    Our LB'ers can't be any worse than they were last year.
    Our CB's will take a step back, but hopefully not much.
    Our S's will be better. Heck, none of them will be suspended.

The only positions that take a step back are DL and CB. The only positions that stay stagnate are LB and WR. You could argue that our QB, RB, TE, OL, LB and S will all be better than last year. Toss in a better OC...

This team will be much better than they were last year. The real question is, will the record reflect that? I think the key game to the season is the OSU game. It Utah can start out 4-0 and THINK they can win games, then this might be a special season (ie, 8 wins, in the running for the south into November).

The team is so different from last year to this year. It's exciting.

This is my logo for Ute football pre-season discussions:

no-kool-aid.jpg

Last year I drank the pre-season stuff. This year I'm going to wait and see how they actually do in real games.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Last year I drank the pre-season stuff. This year I'm going to wait and see how they actually do in real games.
    Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is my logo for Ute football pre-season discussions:

no-kool-aid.jpg

Do you really think we were that bad last year? We were competitive in every game but one (one quarter really) in a season where we had to use 3 QBs. I think you will have a hard time any season you are to your third string QB and it was only compounded by having a new OC. I think the team did quite well considering... it was just unfortunate that we didn't pull more of the games out.
    Last edited by Postiez; 04-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Why so serious?
    I'm just joking and making fun of myself for getting pretty excited about last year's season, which taught me that things can unexpectedly go seriously wrong (Wynn's injury, Blechen's suspension, White's injury, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Postiez View Post
    Do you really think we were that bad last year? We were competitive in every game but one (one quarter really) in a season where we had to use 3 QBs. I think you will have a hard time any season you are to your third string QB and it was only compounded by having a new OC. I think the team did quite well considering... it was just unfortunate that we didn't pull more of the games out.
    Yep. We agree. It's not about us being bad, it's just about things not going the way we hoped or expected. Once bitten, twice shy!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Ding, ding. You can't really bring anything forward from last year to predict this year. We are so different. Compare game 1 last year to game 1 this year.

Wilson is better than Wynn and Hayes
    White was great, but was hurt in the first game. We have more depth at RB than last year.
    Our WR's were terrible last year. At worst, this position is a push.

The only positions that take a step back are DL and CB. The only positions that stay stagnate are LB and WR. You could argue that our QB, RB, TE, OL, LB and S will all be better than last year. Toss in a better OC...

This team will be much better than they were last year. The real question is, will the record reflect that? I think the key game to the season is the OSU game. It Utah can start out 4-0 and THINK they can win games, then this might be a special season (ie, 8 wins, in the running for the south into November).

The team is so different from last year to this year. It's exciting.
    I would tend to disagree. I think you get a much better read on where a team is from the previous year then you do from spring ball where they are competing against one another. Is our OL that much improved or is it a function of going against a depleted DL? I agree that Wilson will be better this year then he was last year. I am not sure that we can say that RB will be better until someone actually steps up and does it in a game. York has shown that he is a capable runner but he is never healthy. Williams, Radley and Oliver were unable to do much in game situations a year ago. Poole redshirted. I don't think you can even start to think about the guys not yet on campus. Whether the OL will be light years better is a huge question mark. Our tackles are not even being tested this spring by the DE's who are inexperienced and poor at run stopping. I agree that WR's should be better and that the TE's will be better. The main thing is that the guy calling the plays will be better whether it is Erickson or BJ with Erickson's help. Our defense does not have close to the same talent on the line and at CB that we had a year ago and we weren't that good a year ago. Will the defense be better?

Personally, I think we underperformed our talent a year ago. We will need to overperform our talent this year in order to have a winning record as I believe that adding Stanford and Oregon to the schedule gives us a schedule where if odds were given today, the only games we would be predicted to win would be USU (4 points), Weber and CU (7 points) and maybe at WSU. I think we would be dogs at BYU (4 points), Ore. St. (3 points), UCLA (7 points), Stanford (10 points), at Arizona (10 points), at USC (12 points), ASU (5 points), at Oregon (17 points). Don't get me wrong, I am not down on the team or the program but I do think that we have had some unrealistic expectations at least last year if not for a few years. If you go back and look at the rosters of the 2004 and 2008 teams and compare them to the current roster, I think we will all agree that our talent level is not the same. At the same time, those rosters were the perfect storm of talent and injury free seasons and we were also helped by the fact that we really had 5-7 wins pretty much guaranteed before the seasons started. We don't have that luxury built into our current schedule and we are still building talent. I would take 8 wins today but my hope is that we get to 6 and a bowl game.