Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Explosions at the Boston Marathon...

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Asking you if you saw no distinction was not dumb, and your suggestion that it was dumb is deeply hurtful. Dummy.
    Dumb is pretty much anyone who doesn't see it the same way as he does.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Banned
    Why did the thread about some bad guy(s) detonating a couple bombs on innocent runners and the people there to cheer them on... become about how Waup hates America?

Jeez Professor...

Give it a rest.
    Last edited by Devildog; 04-17-2013 at 02:02 AM.

I am not happy about the way the predator drones are being used. That said, do you really think no distinction can be made between those deaths and injuries, on one hand, and the ones in Boston, on the other?

EDIT: I'm skeptical of the bona fides of your source, The Bureau of Investigative Journalism. Take a look at their story focus on the right side of the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    No, I'm treating you like a student who asked a dumb question. I think anyone can make a distinction of anything if they want to. My brother's polemics are living proof of this. But, I see no difference in the grief of someone in a foreign land over the actions of my government which caused the death of their family, and the incidents yesterday. All are horrific. All are evil. All are illegal.

Why don't we just bomb the fuck out of "them" if we really want to stop it? I mean, it'd be collateral damage, but the problem would go away if we got them all.

Our drone strikes that kill innocents are just as immoral, in a Kantian sense, as the Boston massacre yesterday.
    I didn't think it was a dumb question, LA. I think there are significant differences in the motivations behind terrorist attacks, and the motivations behind drone strikes.

I suppose that attempting to compare degrees of tragedy, or somehow using one tragedy to draw attention to another might have some merits somewhere, as long as it's done with the goal of understanding the morality of conflict, and/or of making the world a safer place for innocent people. But when the conversation turns to jabs about "dumb questions", it really has just become a means of drawing attention to oneself.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Asking you if you saw no distinction was not dumb, and your suggestion that it was dumb is deeply hurtful. Dummy.
    Everything in the above post after "was not dumb" is TIC.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Interesting info from National Journal:

"When you think about it, the target is not clear," said Mark Potok, a senior fellow at the Southern Poverty Law Center. "What the target was not was the government, or the IRS, or a minority group—black people, gay people, Muslims, immigrants, Latinos, and so on. It wasn't targeted at any sort of specific subgroup."

Mark Pitcavage, the director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League, agreed, saying this target didn't feel like the work of extreme right-wing terrorists since it had no clear connection to the government.

"The bottom line is that no domestic extremist movement, just based on their ideology alone, would have a huge reason to attack the Boston Marathon," Pitcavage said. "The prominence of the event could cause anybody from a variety of movements to carry out an attack like that."

Instead of the work of organized movements, the attack could have been the work of a single person, either someone motivated by ideology or someone who is clinically insane. Eric Rudolph, an antiabortion and antigay activist, set off bombs at the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta that killed three people to promote his ideology.
    A pundit's view that is a little too pundit-like, but still makes an interesting point:

For many journalists I've spoken with today, this ignorance is tortuous. The identification of the attacker(s) and the reasons for the attack will likely have enormous political (and potentially geopolitical) ramifications, which will vary greatly depending on whether the attacker(s) is domestic or foreign, acting alone or as part of an organization. We're standing on the verge of a very important national conversation about something, and we have no idea what it is.

Others have managed to find solace in this. Over at the American Interest, Walter Russell Mead welcomes the waiting period. "It allows us to treat the horror on its own terms, to see the pure evil of this act divorced from any rationalization or justification," he writes. "Each hour that has gone by since the blast, each new report of heroism among the survivors and responders, each new detail about the identity of the victims clarifies the essential truth of the situation: there is no cause that can justify this deed."

I agree with that last point, but find no similar solace. I want to know the cause -- not because I'm eager to politicize the tragedy, but because I want to know where our national conversation is headed. A great deal of political, financial and emotional capital depends on the answer to that question.
    I guess journalists tend to focus on having something to write about. I'd just like to know who did this so we can all have a better chance of figuring out how to be more safe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

If I had to venture a guess I would say this is likely a lone wolf attack, which is what most attacks in the US are. (Many have been stopped, and those don't garner the attention)

Honestly if I could change one thing it would be the media coverage such things spawns. While I don't want to diminish things for the victims, I fear the attention we give to these attackers is a contributor to what they do.

After calling me a miserable vomitous mass, I assumed we were being playful. I figured you and I were beyond worrying that the other person was intending to be hurtful rather than wink-winking, scumsucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Dumb is pretty much anyone who doesn't see it the same way as he does.
    Finally, somebody gets it! That's exactly how I view everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Why did the thread about some bad guy(s) detonating a couple bombs on innocent runners and the people there to cheer them on... become about how Waup hates America?

Jeez Professor...

Give it a rest.
    I don't hate America. I hate the killing of innocents. And, I will never ever ever rest my defense of the things I believe in. If you think otherwise, you don't know me at all. I'm a tenacious advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    But when the conversation turns to jabs about "dumb questions", it really has just become a means of drawing attention to oneself.
    Or it could've just been a jocular jab at a friend who had just jabbed at me. He used the academia trope, so I continued it. I have been misunderstood here, and I'll ask that everyone please consider that I did not intend to offend. You can decide for yourselves whether I'm being honest, backtracking, or dissembling. But, if I wanted to draw attention to myself, I'd be arguing this on facebook or twitter, which a quick search will show I am not.

I was asked not to bring CUF culture here, and I thought that I was doing it successfully. Jocular exchanges will not be part of my repertoire here any longer.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

After calling me a miserable vomitous mass, I assumed we were being playful. I figured you and I were beyond worrying that the other person was intending to be hurtful rather than wink-winking, scumsucker.
    There's no need to get personal, you warthog-faced buffoon.

--Yeats

There's no need to get personal, you warthog-faced buffoon.
    I've spent the last 39 years building up an immunity to iamlame powder.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Or it could've just been a jocular jab at a friend who had just jabbed at me. He used the academia trope, so I continued it. I have been misunderstood here, and I'll ask that everyone please consider that I did not intend to offend. You can decide for yourselves whether I'm being honest, backtracking, or dissembling. But, if I wanted to draw attention to myself, I'd be arguing this on facebook or twitter, which a quick search will show I am not.

I was asked not to bring CUF culture here, and I thought that I was doing it successfully. Jocular exchanges will not be part of my repertoire here any longer.
    Fair enough.
    If you and LAUte were just messing around good-naturedly, then I apologize for misreading the tone.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Fair enough.
    If you and LAUte were just messing around good-naturedly, then I apologize for misreading the tone.
    We can be hard to read sometimes. Especially wuap. One of my duties on this board is to explain him to everyone else.

--Yeats

As the subject of drone attacks has been raised, a link to an post at my history group summarizing an article by Norman Friedman in the March 2013 issue of Proceedings on the subject:

http://flattopshistorywarpolitics.yu...s#.UW7c0Up9OE4
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

CNN reporting that an arrest for the bombing has been made.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/17...omment-page-1/
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    CNN reporting that an arrest for the bombing has been made.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/17...omment-page-1/
    And now they are un-reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    And now they are un-reporting it.
    Yep.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/bos...sts/index.html
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

The 'instant' news world is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The 'instant' news world is not a good thing.
    Heh. I was just about to say the same thing
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Banned
    Watching the Bruins fans take over the National Anthem tonight in Boston was OUTSTANDING!

Banned
    The Yankees played "Sweet Caroline" which is their rival Boston's Fenway Park 8th inning staple, in honor.

We can be hard to read sometimes. Especially wuap. One of my duties on this board is to explain him to everyone else.
    In life, I'm usually interpreting for someone else; I know how hard it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Watching the Bruins fans take over the National Anthem tonight in Boston was OUTSTANDING!

Who are the morons who think that their whistling and yelling during the song add something to the moment?

Chaos around MIT tonight, as an officer has been shot, suspects have thrown a bomb at police, one suspect arrested, one on the loose.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Chaos around MIT tonight, as an officer has been shot, suspects have thrown a bomb at police, one suspect arrested, one on the loose.
    Holy crap. Why Boston? The marathon is a huge event, so if anyone wants to create terror, that's a target that makes sense. But other than that, what is there about Boston that would make it a desirable target for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Holy crap. Why Boston? The marathon is a huge event, so if anyone wants to create terror, that's a target that makes sense. But other than that, what is there about Boston that would make it a desirable target for anyone?
    It's the marathon suspects.

Amazing story unfolding right now.

--Yeats

Amazing story unfolding right now.
    Holy F. What a crazy turn of events. Still no clue about why these brothers would do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Holy F. What a crazy turn of events. Still no clue about why these brothers would do this.
    I'd bet dimes to donuts, religion is their excuse.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The father was interviewed on ABC. Apparently he talked to both of them after the bombing. He is in Russia. He said that if "they" killed them, "all hell would break loose."

Cool.

So they are Chechens? Any light anyone here can shed on Chechens?

**** Huh...imagine that. The predominant religion in Chechnya is Islam. Go figure. I'm sure they have no ties to terrorists. Probably they are right wing nuts angry about gun control proposals.
    Last edited by UteBeliever aka Port; 04-19-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Banned
    Domestic or international terrorists? Right now looks like both.

The story behind their actions could end up very involved.

It would be nice if he could be captured alive, but that seems unlikely. We would all like to know the story behind what he did.

--Yeats