Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Explosions at the Boston Marathon...

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Shucks, if the police had only known that they wouldn't have shot up that boat he was hiding in before they got him out of it. For some reason they didn't assume he was unarmed.
    We assume everyone is armed...except lawyers ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    We assume everyone is armed...except lawyers ;P
    No matter - the blowhard is mightier than the sword.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

No matter - the blowhard is mightier than the sword.
    Earplugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Earplugs?
    This discussion is becoming hurtful.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This discussion is becoming hurtful.
    Come hang out in the gallery in court sometime....your fellow blowhards get plenty of revenge, trust me.

Maybe it wasn't just teenage alienation:

After the death of Tamerlan in a police shootout, Dzhokhar hid inside a neighbor’s boat and wrote with a pen on the inside of the hull that the attack was retribution for the wars the United States waged in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to two law enforcement officials. The note stated generally that an attack on one Muslim is an attack on all Muslims, one official said.
    http://hotair.com/archives/2013/05/1...ly-understand/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.

--Yeats

So how does everyone feel about this Rolling Stone cover?

628x471.jpg

I think it is a big mistake.

--Yeats

628x471.jpg

Glorifying a terrorist is always a mistake. But the real problem is that Rolling Stone put that waste of carbon on it's cover because there is a market for it. This evil POS has fans who want him freed.

Of course, there is some good news about this. There are some businesses that have decided that that issue won't grace their newsstands.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

A Facebook page has been set up in direct response:

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottRoll...ocation=stream

And this from the Mayor of Boston:

1004064_513983038667049_921874954_n.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.

--Yeats

Banned
    Here he is with a police sniper's laser on his head.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...oody-tsarnaev/

628x471.jpg

Oh, I don't know. I guess I wouldn't second guess their decision.

Jeffery Dahmer was on the cover of Newsweek, Manson was on the cover of Life, and Hitler was on the cover of Time.

(I would have done images but it's too late to figure out what I did wrong)
    Last edited by pangloss; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I guess I wouldn't second guess their decision.

Jeffery Dahmer was on the cover of Newsweek, Manson was on the cover of Life, and Hitler was on the cover of Time.

(I would have done images but it's too late to figure out what I did wrong)
    I'm with Mayor Menino on this one.

--Yeats

I'm with Mayor Menino on this one.
    I agree, Mayor Menino's letter & thoughts are excellent. I actually subscribe to RS but haven't received the copy yet. Consequently I have not read the article. Second hand, I understand the focus of the story is how normal & common the bomber was. No one suspected him. That's an interesting angle.

I was at the U and worked at a janitor in lower campus at the same time Ted Bundy worked as a janitor at the hospital. I never met him - to my knowledge - but met one of the supervisors to whom Bundy reported. When he was finally arrested, I vaguely remember some folks who knew him were convinced he was innocent and could not have possibly been the killer. I don't know if the bomber is a sociopath like Bundy, but a seemingly normal killer walking among us is an interesting topic.

RS seems tone deaf to the sensitivities they offended and should have known better. It is too soon to put the bomber on the cover as if he were a rock star.
    Last edited by pangloss; 07-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I agree, Mayor Menino's letter & thoughts are excellent. I actually subscribe to RS but haven't received the copy yet. Consequently I have not read the article. Second hand, I understand the focus of the story is how normal & common the bomber was. No one suspected him. That's an interesting angle.

I was at the U and worked at a janitor in lower campus at the same time Ted Bundy worked as a janitor at the hospital. I never met him - to my knowledge - but met one of the supervisors to whom Bundy reported. When he was finally arrested, I vaguely remember some folks who knew him were convinced he was innocent and could not have possibly been the killer. I don't know if the bomber is a sociopath like Bundy, but a seemingly normal killer walking among us is an interesting topic.

RS seems tone deaf to the sensitivities they offended and should have known better. It is too soon to put the bomber on the cover as if he were a rock star.
    Anyone interested in learning more about Ted Bundy should read Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me. Ann and Ted once worked at a crisis hotline in the Seattle area.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Much of the backlash has been about the way the picture looks, as in they made it a 'rock star' cover photo, as if Jim Morrison was being featured

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I have a free 1-year subscription going. I love to see who's going to be on the cover each week. I usually read and enjoy some of the music articles, but I always blow right by the political stuff. Why would I want that in a music magazine? If I did actually want to spend my time on politics, I'm sure I could find a magazine that would offer more than an adolescent, predictable attempt at making its 50 year old audience feel young and hip.

Side note - the music reviews in that magazine are like the Homer Simpson food critic. Everything is 4 stars.
    9 thumbs up? What the hell is that?!
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.