Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good finds on Netflix

Good finds on Netflix

"Jadotville." My son tipped me off to it. Highly recommended. It's a military story, based on a Cold War episode during the troubles in the Congo in the early 1960s. A group of Irish peacekeepers are the stars. It is a great illustration of how screwed up things were during the Cold War, but also quite gripping and inspiring.

It's a Netflix original movie, not a series. Well worth the 2 hours it takes to watch.

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm 75% through with the defenders. its been ok.

Atypical on Netflix was light and funny. Definitely worth the time
    <br>

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-28-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Good finds on Netflix

"The Wave." A smart, believable Norwegian disaster movie about real people. Excellent. (Subtitles.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-31-2017 at 09:40 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Good finds on Netflix

My son finally talked me into watching “Stranger Things.” To my surprise I really enjoyed it. I’m not a huge sci-fi fan but the characters in this one are so well done and do endearing that I was swept up into it. Millie Bobbie Brown’s career is going to be fun to watch. She’s a talent.

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-28-2018 at 05:18 PM.

--Yeats

Good finds on Netflix

I am currently watching “Dark” on Netflix. It is a German series (subtitled in English) about some missing children in a small nuclear power plant town. It involves time travel (insert obligatory eye-roll) and shows the lives of town members now (2019) and 33 years earlier (1986). It has been really good so far and I love the musical score (lots of spooky and ominous sounds with good eighties music). So if you are in to mystery and crime tv/movies, I highly recommend.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 07-11-2018 at 07:55 AM.

“In Plain Sight” is a Britbox offering, which is available on both Amazon prime and Roku TV. I don’t know if it is available on Netflix. It is a three-episode series about the hunt for first serial killer in Scottish history. It is “based on a true story“ set in the greater Glasgow area in the 1950s, and is one a heck of a good yarn. Highly recommended. There’s nothing flashy, no special effects, just a gritty story of life among normal people in small towns who are terrified by the killer in their midst. The killer is a very interesting sociopath/bad guy. You will need to use subtitles to catch all of the dialogue, because the Scottish accents are thick and authentic.

--Yeats

I watched “Fortitude” on Amazon Prime. Don’t waste your time. The first season was interesting and addictive, with some fine acting (Stanley Tucci and Michael Gambon are always great). The second season was a train wreck, with no character to cheer for (the good guys all die or are stymied in their good intentions) and a bizarre, nihilistic ending. The show hooks you with several clever plot devices and then crashes and burns. Awful television. There will not be a Season 3.

--Yeats

I just finished watching Godless on the treadmill. I really quite liked it; a good old fashioned western. Jeff Daniels was great as the evil bad guy, who became evil when he survived the Mtn. Meadows massacre as a young child. I really liked Michelle Dockery as the American-=accented widowed rancher surviving with her half-Paiute son. Far cry from Downton Abbey, obviously.

Good finds on Netflix

I started watching “Bodyguard,” the new Netflix offering, and liked the first episode. (I’m an elliptical machine guy.) It’s a combo terrorism/politics/ suspense/law enforcement show with interesting plot dynamics and good acting. It’s getting 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and the critics like it:

The British writer Jed Mercurio builds television shows the way the Cenobites build puzzle boxes in the “Hellraiser” movies. Get too close to one, and its intricate mechanism shoots its hooks into you, pulling you through a portal into a gyre of suspense from which there’s no escape.

The latest example of his infernal abilities is “Bodyguard,” a six-episode BBC potboiler whose finale was, according to different measurements, the highest-rated British drama since either the “Downton Abbey” Season 2 finale in 2011 or a “Doctor Who” Christmas special in 2008. Viewers in the rest of the world, including the United States, can see what the fuss is about when the series comes to Netflix on Wednesday. (A second season has not been announced but seems inevitable.)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/a...w-netflix.html

--Yeats

Just finished watching The Kominsky Method on Netflix. It stars Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. It is a very clever and humorous series, particularly for someone of my age.

Just watched ‘Bird Box’ on Netflix. It was dumb. Unless you are a huge Sandra Bullock fan, you should pass. Bad plot, unlikable characters, people making terrible choices just to create drama or move the plot along, generally not entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    ...people making terrible choices just to create drama or move the plot along....
    Is this kind of like the horror movie where you're thinking, "No, dummy, don't go down into the basement! Don't!" and the person goes down into the basement?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is this kind of like the horror movie where you're thinking, "No, dummy, don't go down into the basement! Don't!" and the person goes down into the basement?
    It is more like “don’t let that potential zombie knocking on the door into your house” and “oh no, some side characters steal the family car and disappear for no particular reason other than to make life harder for the rest of the characters” kind of stuff.

Check out "The Dawn Wall" if you haven't already. If you saw and liked "Free Solo" this is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the 3rd season of ‘Stranger Things’ over the weekend. Total crap, don’t waste your time. The 1st season is in my top ten of all time, just great TV making. The last season is just terrible.

Finished the 3rd season of ‘Stranger Things’ over the weekend. Total crap, don’t waste your time. The 1st season is in my top ten of all time, just great TV making. The last season is just terrible.
    Good to know. I didn't make it through all of Season 2.

I did hear that Mind Hunter Season 2 is out this Friday. Season 1 was excellent.

It was a disappointment. It seems that this happens a lot with successful streaming service series. They don’t know when to quit, and start to run out of ideas.

--Yeats

Don’t waste your time with “Another World.“ I like some science fiction series, and I had a high hopes for this one. But it was so badly written, and the characters so unbelievable, that I’ll never go back. It was not the science fiction aspect that was unbelievable, it was the plot, characters, casting, and the overall premise. It looked expensive to produce, so I wonder what on earth Netflix was thinking.

--Yeats

Breaking Bad continuation movie coming to Netflix Oct 11th!!!

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This isn't new and it is on Amazon Prime and not Netflix, but I am rewatching Boston Legal. To me, it is one of the funniest and thought provoking shows of all time. The story lines are interesting and the writing is spectacularly delivered by William Shatner and James Spader. Candace Bergen is terrific and the other cast members are perfect.

Just started watching HBO mini-series "Our Boys". It is an Israeli show of the investigation of the kidnapping and murder of an Arab boy a few days after the kidnapping and murder of 3 Jewish boys in Jerusalem. These events occurred in the summer of 2014. We were scheduled to visit in October 2014 and watched closely what was occurring there that summer. We eventually went on the trip. While in Jerusalem an Arab man suspected of involvement in some serious crimes against Jews was killed by police in a raid. We were visiting Hezekiah's Tunnel the day it happened and shortly after leaving the tunnel we heard several bursts of automatic weapons, a lot of shouting and dogs barking. Our bus could not get to our location to pick us up and we were required to enter a former drainage tunnel and walk to an area where it was safe for the bus to collect us. Anyway, the show is excellent. This is the 3rd or 4th Israeli show I have watched and they have all been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Just started watching HBO mini-series "Our Boys". It is an Israeli show of the investigation of the kidnapping and murder of an Arab boy a few days after the kidnapping and murder of 3 Jewish boys in Jerusalem. These events occurred in the summer of 2014. We were scheduled to visit in October 2014 and watched closely what was occurring there that summer. We eventually went on the trip. While in Jerusalem an Arab man suspected of involvement in some serious crimes against Jews was killed by police in a raid. We were visiting Hezekiah's Tunnel the day it happened and shortly after leaving the tunnel we heard several bursts of automatic weapons, a lot of shouting and dogs barking. Our bus could not get to our location to pick us up and we were required to enter a former drainage tunnel and walk to an area where it was safe for the bus to collect us. Anyway, the show is excellent. This is the 3rd or 4th Israeli show I have watched and they have all been excellent.
    ohhh, I'll have to check that out. HBO typically does high quality stuff.

A couple of HBO series that I've watched lately that are excellent:

Chernobyl

The Night Of

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    ohhh, I'll have to check that out. HBO typically does high quality stuff.

A couple of HBO series that I've watched lately that are excellent:

Chernobyl

The Night Of
    I watched Chernobyl and thought it was one of the best things I have watched in a long time. At first I scoffed a little at the lies told by the Soviet government and then I remembered the lies told by the US Govt. throughout Viet Nam.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Breaking Bad continuation movie coming to Netflix Oct 11th!!!

Tomorrow! Can't wait!

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Just finished watching The Two Popes on Netflix. It was one of the better movies I have seen lately.

Just finished watching The Two Popes on Netflix. It was one of the better movies I have seen lately.
    Agreed

I was kind of repelled by the concept, seemed like I could expect Catholic-bashing. Looks like should check it out.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was kind of repelled by the concept, seemed like I could expect Catholic-bashing. Looks like should check it out.
    I came out from watching that with just the opposite feeling. It was a sympathetic and human look at two very different personalities in context to their vision for the Catholic Church.

That's been made more interesting by Pope Benedict coming out publicly in opposition to some of Pope Francis' thoughts about celibacy etc in recent days.

I also thought it was pretty interesting to watch in context of my own faith and my thoughts and emotions around it.

Gallipoli on Amazon is a good watch.