Thread: Good finds on Netflix

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, yeah, he's a bad guy. But you are supposed to appreciate how he's portrayed. You aren't rooting for Hans Gruber, but you love the character. Moriarty is a classic villain, but this whiny, effeminate version makes the show nearly unwatchable. As the opening credits roll, you sit and hope it's not a Moriarty episode.

And you are supposed to like Holmes. This new twist - to portray him as a friendless jerk - is something of a disservice to the character.

Still, the little puzzles and clues are always fun to see.
    I love the Moriarty episodes. Maybe I can relate to whiny and effeminate.

I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?
    Foyle's War is a great show. Sherlock is as well. I need to give Downton another try. BBC does good work.

The IT Crowd. I love that show. Too few episodes. We'll watch them over and over again from time to time. "Work Outing" is by far my favorite episode. Not real high-brow humor, but good British comedy.

Derek. This is a new one by Ricky Gervais. He plays an autistic guy at a retirement home. Karl Pilkington is in it as the maintenance man with totally wicked "Child Molester" hair. This is really well done. Funny, social commentary, and a lot of really touching moments. Highly recommend. There are a few F,S, and C bombs here and there, but not many (2 per show, maybe?). So, buyer beware.

Come Fly with Me: British mocumentary about the airline business with Matt Lucas and David Walliams playing all the roles (both male and female). Loved it.

Just finished watching The Kominsky Method on Netflix. It stars Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. It is a very clever and humorous series, particularly for someone of my age.

Gallipoli on Amazon is a good watch.