Thread: Suggestions

Suggestions

Love the new board, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Add a rivalries category, a place for us to talk smack (respectfully) about the opposing teams. If a user doesn't want to take part in the rivalries talk then they have the option to not see it.

2. Add a Ticket Exchange, there are times i can't make it to games but i'd like a place where I could post something and have a Utah fan have the first shot at getting my tickets versus me throwing them on Stubhub or KSL.

Z
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

I would not do the rivalries category yet. Once the board is crazy busy with 1000's of topics, then do it. You don't want to make the board too segregated too early and turn people off because they have to click too many times to find what they want.

I would keep it simple at first, and when it gets crazy, they start to put things into different categories. Keep all football talk in one spot for now.

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I would not do the rivalries category yet. Once the board is crazy busy with 1000's of topics, then do it. You don't want to make the board too segregated too early and turn people off because they have to click too many times to find what they want.

I would keep it simple at first, and when it gets crazy, they start to put things into different categories. Keep all football talk in one spot for now.

My two cents.
    Good point on the rilvaries section. What about the ticket exchange?
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Seems like maybe the School of Medicine and Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse forums could be combined.

I like the idea of a Ticket Exchange forum. Don't make it too complicated, just a place for people to connect. They can sort out the details of any exchanges or sales.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I understand wanting to use as many landmarks around the Utah campus as possible, but there seem like a lot of forums to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I understand wanting to use as many landmarks around the Utah campus as possible, but there seem like a lot of forums to me.

i think you could include the cycling section in with The Pros
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Agreed. I understand the desire to populate the board, but you run the risk of looking like Cougarguard with too many chat rooms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    i think you could include the cycling section in with The Pros
    The cycling section was a shout out to CUF/CougarStadium which has a popular cycling forum. But, yeah I agree.

A chat room would be a nice addition
    ~Bob Marley

Where would a guy start a golf thread called "All things Golf"

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I would go with The Student Union
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Big z, I don't intend to speak for all of the mods, but the thought process behind the absence of a rivalry forum is we want to establish the tone of this forum as pro-Utah as possible. For too long, Utah itself and the Ute fanbase has measured itself and competed with BYU non-stop. And because we share such a long history and a sizable media market, that won't ever change. But with the football rivalry taking a hiatus, and on-field competitions becoming less frequent, IMO it's prudent for this forum to conceptualize Utah in terms of how they fit in the PAC-12.

That said, we are not here to censor discussions. A thread dedicated to BYU, or Colorado, or Arizona St, or USU would likely generate some discussion.

Blog Entries
    Am I just not smart enough to understand the saved posts? I had a long reply to the P12 travel thread that I wrote while golfing in the rain today, it kept saying it was saved. Went to post when I was finally dry and only the first sentence of my post was there. Can someone explain how that works to me?

How about a "Random Chat Thread"? The idea is that you can post things to talk about that either don't deserve an entire thread or don't fit into the other subforums. I've seen this work on other boards before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    How about a "Random Chat Thread"? The idea is that you can post things to talk about that either don't deserve an entire thread or don't fit into the other subforums. I've seen this work on other boards before.
    I will start one in the union. Thanks for the suggestion.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I hesitate to post something because the site is young, is great, and I'm not the one making changes....

Is there a way to have the "path" show up at the bottom of the page? I see it at the top.
    By "path", I mean:
    Forum Community TheTownCrier Suggestions

When I'm done reading a thread, and want to go somewhere else, I have to go all the way to the top, then click the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I hesitate to post something because the site is young, is great, and I'm not the one making changes....

Is there a way to have the "path" show up at the bottom of the page? I see it at the top.
    By "path", I mean:

When I'm done reading a thread, and want to go somewhere else, I have to go all the way to the top, then click the links.
    That was a modification for the previous version of vbulletin. Lebowski and I are searching for one that works with version 4.2 so far, no luck.
    André Gide

By "path", I mean:

I was looking for the same thing because I use it on other forums I visit. My work around is to just hit the keyboard "home" button (button cluster above the arrow keys) to take me back to the top of the page.

By "path", I mean:

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreUTE View Post
    I was looking for the same thing because I use it on other forums I visit. My work around is to just hit the keyboard "home" button (button cluster above the arrow keys) to take me back to the top of the page.

I think I just found it. Check and see if you all can see the breadcrumbs just above the forum info box.
    André Gide

When the site launched, there was a quick reply box at the bottom of a thread... its gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I think I just found it. Check and see if you all can see the breadcrumbs just above the forum info box.
    Yeah, it works now.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    When the site launched, there was a quick reply box at the bottom of a thread... its gone now.
    I noticed that too. Now there is a Reply to Thread bottom on the bottom left instead.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-07-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

cool, I see it now as well. Thanks JIC!!!

How about a separate NFL ?

Love it or hate it NFL football has been the most popular sport in America for decades. It would be nice to have a separate category for those of us who don't care to wade through NHL, MMA, etc posts.
    http://www.corbettreport.com/

www.infowars.com

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Big z, I don't intend to speak for all of the mods, but the thought process behind the absence of a rivalry forum is we want to establish the tone of this forum as pro-Utah as possible. For too long, Utah itself and the Ute fanbase has measured itself and competed with BYU non-stop. And because we share such a long history and a sizable media market, that won't ever change. But with the football rivalry taking a hiatus, and on-field competitions becoming less frequent, IMO it's prudent for this forum to conceptualize Utah in terms of how they fit in the PAC-12.

That said, we are not here to censor discussions. A thread dedicated to BYU, or Colorado, or Arizona St, or USU would likely generate some discussion.
    I think this is sound. Plus, it keeps all the football talk in the same forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    Clicking on the reply button makes it reappear. There are several ways to adjust it. General census is to try to keep the bottom from being too cluttered, but have the quick reply appear without changing screens. This is the best solution to all of the issues. Try it and let me know how it works for you.
    André Gide

Could you lower the time limit between posts to something less than 60 seconds? 30 seconds seems reasonable.

Under the "Name Something I Suck At" category!

Try The Student Union.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell