Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Andre Miller Thread

The Official Andre Miller Thread

Does this thread exist yet? If not, shame on us.

Andre loves the playoffs. He scored 28 last night against Golden State, including the game winner.

Great thread idea. Andre is awesome.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Miller could play another 5 years. His game doesn't depend on freak athleticism or explosiveness. Just crafty and intelligent.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Miller could play another 5 years. His game doesn't depend on freak athleticism or explosiveness. Just crafty and intelligent.
    Perhaps. He has become a real liability on defense over the past few years. I think he can stick around for a few more, but his years of scoring 28 points in a playoff game are coming to a close. It's nice to see him get a game winner like this at 37.

Bump.

Funk, what's the deal with making more Andre Miller posts on CUF than on his home-board? Please place all Andre Miller chatter on this thread.

It was against the horrendous Jazz and the even more horrendous Jamaal Tinsley, but this is a pretty nice move for a 37 year old.

I was watching the 1998 Elite 8 game against Arizona this morning on the treadmill, and it made me miss Andre. Controlled aggression, great decision making. He will always be my favorite Runnin' Ute.

I friggin love Andre Miller!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I was watching the 1998 Elite 8 game against Arizona this morning on the treadmill, and it made me miss Andre. Controlled aggression, great decision making. He will always be my favorite Runnin' Ute.
    ACK! I've still never seen that game (it wasn't a big deal in the jungles of Brazil). Is it available online somewhere? I would L-O-V-E to watch that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    ACK! I've still never seen that game (it wasn't a big deal in the jungles of Brazil). Is it available online somewhere? I would L-O-V-E to watch that game.
    I saw it live from the nosebleeds in Anaheim stadium. Man, that was a fun year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I'll burn a copy and send to you, if you PM me your info. It's a digital version of a crappy VCR recording, but it's better than nothing. I'll include the North Carolina win as well, and the Kentucky championship game if your a masochist.

Great idea for a thread. Andre Miller is the most awesome player ever to play any sport.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'll burn a copy and send to you, if you PM me your info. It's a digital version of a crappy VCR recording, but it's better than nothing. I'll include the North Carolina win as well, and the Kentucky championship game if your a masochist.
    Awesome! (Please do not include the UK game - Youtube has most of that game and I'm not a fan).

Zach Lowe on Miller last year.

G Dr. Andre Miller, PhD, Point Guard University

Miller is the reason every NBA fan needs to invest in DVR — and not even because of the lob passes, long the best in the business, and propping up JaVale McGee's career for the last year. It is astonishing what Professor Miller can see in real time, with nine other guys darting around a crowded court.

He is always two steps ahead of opponents and teammates, in ways that are easy to miss on first watch. But when you slow down the tape, you can see Miller doing this kind of calculation: "If I pause mid-dribble, hesitate, and then take one extra dribble into the paint, Defender A will shift to Spot X, which allows Teammate B to get open in Spot Y, which in turn will draw Defender B, which in turn will free Teammate C who likely has no idea what is about to happen." It is like a perfect geometric proof during an NBA game.

Toss in one of the best little guy, ass-first post games, and I'm sold. Miller can't really defend anymore, and Denver has to hide him on the weakest offensive player at all times, but this list is about pure entertainment.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-all-star-game

Miller is the ultimate Rick Majerus player. His game and the way he thinks about it are all traced back to Rick Majerus. Oh and here is a collection of 70 of Miller's 79 lob passes last year. I'm of the opinion that when Miller retires from the NBA there should be a standing offer for him as an assistant coach at Utah. I will hear no arguments against this. Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Also, one of my favorite Dre NBA moments is the Blake Griffin incident and his reaction to it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...iller_ups.html

“There was no consideration for what I’ve accomplished in this league,” Miller said. “(There is) favoritism towards the young players. I delivered a shot. And when I delivered it, I was hoping the ref would call a flagrant foul or a foul. They ignored what he did two times. Two times. And I let it pass. The referee didn’t say nothing.

“If I was a dirty player that was looking to go out and hurt somebody, then I could understand. ‘Oh, this guy has a reputation for taking out guys.’ Back in the day, players like John Stockton — who was a tough-minded player and, actually, some players thought he was dirty — never got suspended for anything. The league has changed. They make the rules, they favor the young guys now. And that’s how it is.”

“I was shocked,” Miller said, about being suspended. “It’s a bunch of (bull) anyway. Especially knowing that I’ve worked hard to get to this point.

"I actually wanted to get him harder,'' Miller said afterward. "But he knew it was coming, because he got me good - actually a couple of times.''

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...ndre_mill.html
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Miller is the ultimate Rick Majerus player. His game and the way he thinks about it are all traced back to Rick Majerus. Oh and here is a collection of 70 of Miller's 79 lob passes last year. I'm of the opinion that when Miller retires from the NBA there should be a standing offer for him as an assistant coach at Utah. I will hear no arguments against this. Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.
    Brian Johnson should have taught us that Great Player From Years Gone By doesn't automatically make Great Coach in Today's Game. And so much of Andre's game is based on feel, instinct and experience -- things that really can't be taught -- I think he'd be a horrible coach at the college level. You need to be a Basketball Jedi to get on Andre's level and today's guards just can't commit themselves to that kind of game. It would all end up with Andre pulling his hair out or bashing his skull against a wall. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Brian Johnson should have taught us that Great Player From Years Gone By doesn't automatically make Great Coach in Today's Game. And so much of Andre's game is based on feel, instinct and experience -- things that really can't be taught -- I think he'd be a horrible coach at the college level. You need to be a Basketball Jedi to get on Andre's level and today's guards just can't commit themselves to that kind of game. It would all end up with Andre pulling his hair out or bashing his skull against a wall. Not worth it.
    I agree. I love Andre like a brother, but I think he'd be a terrible coach. Soft spoken, a little bit aloof, a very unique skill set--I think he'd flop harder than Mr. Blume at his son's birthday party.

I agree. I love Andre like a brother, but I think he'd be a terrible coach. Soft spoken, a little bit aloof, a very unique skill set--I think he'd flop harder than Mr. Blume at his son's birthday party.
    Yes, ask BYU how former star players do as coaches. Doman, Cahoon, Bosco, and that's just the start. Even Max Hall was around for bit, I think.

I do think having Andre around the program a lot is a good idea. I'm sure Kodiak will reach out to him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I disagree with all of you questioning Andre Miller. Everyone you compared him to didn't add to their great college career a fantastic professional career learning from great coaches.

Brian Johnson is a terrible comparison for Miller as is Doman, Bosco, Cahoon, and Max Hall. None of these players brought with them the credibility of a long professional career.

Also, remember that Miller was a big part of getting Drisdom, Markson, and Cheney committed to Utah. I don't doubt that he can occasionally put aside being an angry old man to recruit.
    --fjm.com

I disagree with all of you questioning Andre Miller. Everyone you compared him to didn't add to their great college career a fantastic professional career learning from great coaches.

Brian Johnson is a terrible comparison for Miller as is Doman, Bosco, Cahoon, and Max Hall. None of these players brought with them the credibility of a long professional career.

Also, remember that Miller was a big part of getting Drisdom, Markson, and Cheney committed to Utah. I don't doubt that he can occasionally put aside being an angry old man to recruit.
    I'd love it if Andre made a difference at Utah by teaching our players. I do think that the list of former NBA Hall of Fame-level players who became great college coaches is kind of short. Bill Russell comes to mind, as does Bill Sharman, but they coached in the NBA. Who am I missing?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'd love it if Andre made a difference at Utah by teaching our players. I do think that the list of former NBA Hall of Fame-level players who became great college coaches is kind of short. Bill Russell comes to mind, as does Bill Sharman, but they coached in the NBA. Who am I missing?
    Larry bird, doc rivers Phil Jackson

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Larry bird, doc rivers Phil Jackson

Right. But I'm looking for NBA stars who became successful college coaches. That list seems short, but I haven't done any research other than a 30-second Google search.

--Yeats

Right. But I'm looking for NBA stars who became successful college coaches. That list seems short, but I haven't done any research other than a 30-second Google search.
    Isiah Thomas

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Thunder Dan Majerle

With his next assist Andre moves past Rod Strickland into 9th place on the all-time assist list.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    With his next assist Andre moves past Rod Strickland into 9th place on the all-time assist list.
    Take that, Godfather (of Kyrie Irving)!

This is very true.

Do we really know anything about what Andre Miller would be like as a coach? He is calm and patient, but I have seen him fired up during games, and he has obviously got an intensity. Plus, playing more than a decade in the NBA must result in a lot of confidence when it comes to basketball.

That being said, I know nothing about what Andre Miller would be like as a coach. I don't even know if you wants to be a coach. But, if he does, I hope he is patient and willing to put in years of work as an assistant learning how to coach.

Good stuff on Andre Miller in Zac Lowe's latest (if you don't care about the NBA or the Nuggets, scroll to the middle of the article): http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10112652/the-denver-nuggets-trying-build-contender-not-bottoming-heading-lottery

He also adds this awesome footnote:
    Seriously: Professor Miller is the best. He can't guard anyone anymore, but he remains just delightful to watch. And he's such a black sheep on this Denver team. Denver players have replaced the traditional nameplates over individual lockers with slips of paper carrying a player's nickname — "Manimal" for Faried, etc. Some of them are inside jokes I couldn't decipher. Every single player has a nickname above his locker, except for Miller, whose slip of paper simply reads "Miller." During a recent visit to Brooklyn, McGee had commandeered one corner of the locker room and was blasting rap music. A couple of players rapped along with him, a few more joked around, and others tended to ticket requests. Miller lay on the floor, stretching, wearing headphones, and enjoying some FaceTime with friends or family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Isiah Thomas

That's hilarious.

Actively, there really isn't one. Johnny Dawkins and Fred Hoiberg (Iowa State) probably have the best combined NBA career/NCAA job among active coaches. They'd easily be passed up by Reggie Theus if he could nail an interview. And Danny Manning would blow them all away if he can make Tulsa a winner.