Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead

Let's get some tv talk going! No better place to start than on AMC.

The second half of season three started with a bit of a thud, and into the second episode of this year it was sort of ho-hum, but now we finally get some action going with the Governor on the rampage shooting up the prison (goodbye Axle) and dropping a walker bomb on the joint.

Hopefully this is what gets Rick out of his funk and gets him back to leading the group and we'll see a nice retaliation soon.

I also hope Tyrese and his group haven't gone too far.

Share your thoughts on the Walking Dead!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The group is a bit of a mess these days. The first episode back was incredibly disappointing and the whole Woodbury hobbit speech by Andrea made me want to start biting my own neck. Hopefully Rick and the Governor can face off soon and see who's the kookiest. I agree with the whole Tyrese thing, but it was in his best interest since we know what happens to black guys in the group. The other thing I found humor in last week was how accurate these folks can be while taking head shots at zombies on the run but can't hit a human being with an machine gun for 200 rounds.

All in all, I like the story. Even when it bogs a little. And I like that it makes my wife worry a little that I'm going to try and kill her in her sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The group is a bit of a mess these days. The first episode back was incredibly disappointing and the whole Woodbury hobbit speech by Andrea made me want to start biting my own neck. Hopefully Rick and the Governor can face off soon and see who's the kookiest. I agree with the whole Tyrese thing, but it was in his best interest since we know what happens to black guys in the group. The other thing I found humor in last week was how accurate these folks can be while taking head shots at zombies on the run but can't hit a human being with an machine gun for 200 rounds.

All in all, I like the story. Even when it bogs a little. And I like that it makes my wife worry a little that I'm going to try and kill her in her sleep.
    Maybe Devildog can back me up, but I think hitting something that is shooting back at you is a great deal harder.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Maybe Devildog can back me up, but I think hitting something that is shooting back at you is a great deal harder.
    I guess there's that.

I'm really just hoping that they do away with Rick's hallucinations. That's just bad writing and is as boring as hell to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I guess there's that.
    The man made a very solid point.

My teenage sons have been trying to get me to check out this show... I haven't had time yet. It looks interesting.
    Last edited by Devildog; 02-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    The man made a very solid point.

My teenage sons have been trying to get me to check out this show... I haven't had time yet. It looks interesting.
    If you have Netflix, I would start from the beginning. A morality play with ambulatory, cannibalistic corpses is must see TV in my book. I will say, from a TV standpoint, AMC and FX have been killing it for several years. I don't anticipate many things to watch on TV outside of sporting events, but Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are greatly anticipated in our house.
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Anyone that is into the WD need to read the comics that preceeded it by years..........they weave in and out of the original story line on TV. The TV show is a kick to watch after having read the comics.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    If you have Netflix, I would start from the beginning. A morality play with ambulatory, cannibalistic corpses is must see TV in my book. I will say, from a TV standpoint, AMC and FX have been killing it for several years. I don't anticipate many things to watch on TV outside of sporting events, but Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are greatly anticipated in our house.
    Yours is a more articulate way of saying what my kids keep telling me. I'll have to make some time. Netflix is the best way to get into a TV series in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    Anyone that is into the WD need to read the comics that preceeded it by years..........they weave in and out of the original story line on TV. The TV show is a kick to watch after having read the comics.
    I saw a compendium of the first four years of the comic at Target for about $45. I might have to get it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bias View Post
    The second half of the 3rd season has been awful. Tonight's episode #311 was particularly bad. Absolutely nothing happened. I may stop watching, this show has so much unfulfilled potential.
    You are considering stopping watching WD now? There is still a lot that is going to happen.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

A very good episode this week...one of the better ones of the entire third season, and it might just pull Rick back into his leadership role.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    A very good episode this week...one of the better ones of the entire third season, and it might just pull Rick back into his leadership role.
    Agreed. This was one of the only episodes with Carl where I didn't get annoyed everytime he was on the screen. the story with Rick and Walter (is that the name? i'm doing this from memory, which isn't good) was interesting so Rick could see someone going crazy and hopefully snap back to reality.

I am just about exhausted with the Governor story. My understanding is that he is a significant character in the graphic novels, but I would like to finally move on from that whole story/conflict and move on to something else. Katy Lied posted something on TMBFKACUF about there being a 50,000:1 ratio (again, my memory) of survivors to zombies, so that explains why there is so many zombies and that they keep coming. it seems like we haven't had a good zombie attack scene in quite awhile. the rat traps yesterday doesn't really count, although it was pretty good.

The Governor does play a larger role in the graphic novel, I for one welcomed the last episode as being "Governor" free.

His story line doesn't last much longer.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Agreed. This was one of the only episodes with Carl where I didn't get annoyed everytime he was on the screen. the story with Rick and Walter (is that the name? i'm doing this from memory, which isn't good) was interesting so Rick could see someone going crazy and hopefully snap back to reality.

I am just about exhausted with the Governor story. My understanding is that he is a significant character in the graphic novels, but I would like to finally move on from that whole story/conflict and move on to something else. Katy Lied posted something on TMBFKACUF about there being a 50,000:1 ratio (again, my memory) of survivors to zombies, so that explains why there is so many zombies and that they keep coming. it seems like we haven't had a good zombie attack scene in quite awhile. the rat traps yesterday doesn't really count, although it was pretty good.
    This reminds me a little bit of world war z, and also what makes me surprised (in hindsight) that they just skipped the entire winter. One of the things that is prevalent in world war z is the concept that you go north for fewer zombies because they freeze out in the winter time.

I just picked up the first of three books about the back story on the governor, so I'll post a review when I'm done.

Speaking of WWZ I am hopeful the upcoming movie does the book justice....but I am just a bit worried based on the previews that I have seen.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

So, this was, in my opinion, the second-best episode ever of the entire series. Morgan has shown Rick not just why he should he lead, but a way to take the fight to the walkers. I pray that the writers quickly dispense with the stupid and shallow Woodbury characters (pray Andrea is a casualty in the process; maybe Michonne scalps her!), and start rebuilding society by arranging a system by which to lure, ensnare, slaughter, and dispose of the walkers, to rid the world of them. After that, they can begin the task of restarting a wrecked world, which is fascinating for the 'clean slate' notion of building a society anew based on what worked and what didn't in the former.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    So, this was, in my opinion, the second-best episode ever of the entire series. Morgan has shown Rick not just why he should he lead, but a way to take the fight to the walkers. I pray that the writers quickly dispense with the stupid and shallow Woodbury characters (pray Andrea is a casualty in the process; maybe Michonne scalps her!), and start rebuilding society by arranging a system by which to lure, ensnare, slaughter, and dispose of the walkers, to rid the world of them. After that, they can begin the task of restarting a wrecked world, which is fascinating for the 'clean slate' notion of building a society anew based on what worked and what didn't in the former.
    Amen on hoping that Andrea dies soon. They've done a good job of getting rid of other annoying characters like Lori and making Karl more tolerable. I think that if they could knock Andrea off in the upcoming skirmish, it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Ute View Post
    Amen on hoping that Andrea dies soon. They've done a good job of getting rid of other annoying characters like Lori and making Karl more tolerable. I think that if they could knock Andrea off in the upcoming skirmish, it would be nice.
    Like maybe she'll kill the governor, after he shoots her as she blocks him from killing someone from Rick's group (maybe Michonne). Make her a martyr.

Like maybe she'll kill the governor, after he shoots her as she blocks him from killing someone from Rick's group (maybe Michonne). Make her a martyr.
    I was thinking more like she gets turned into a zombie, and then Michonne cuts her arms off and curb stomps her jaw off and parades her around as a shield for a few episodes and then she ends up getting decapitated.....but yeah, making her into a martyr would be fine with me, too, I guess.

From what we hear about the comics, the governor is so sinister. I won't be surprised if we see the governor kill Andrea at some point to show Rick & Co. that he has nothing else to lose...and then everyone will look back at her naked in the moonlight opportunity to kill him as a turning event for both her and potentially for other characters that may die at the hand of the governor.

From what we hear about the comics, the governor is so sinister. I won't be surprised if we see the governor kill Andrea at some point to show Rick & Co. that he has nothing else to lose...and then everyone will look back at her naked in the moonlight opportunity to kill him as a turning event for both her and potentially for other characters that may die at the hand of the governor.
    That would be far more interesting than what I proposed, which is a tired trope.

Another good episode. Next few episodes will be great. The standoff and chess match between the two leaders and now the internal maneuvering with their individual groups.

Another solid episode. I enjoying the last half of this season a lot more than the 1st half. Rick's group v. The Governor's group should be good.

Merle is a real beauty. Contradictory and also loyal in constantly confusing ways.

Merle and Michonne in the car hot wiring scene. That's what I love about this show are scenes like that.

Killing off Merle was too bad - he provided a lot of tension. He went out in a gutsy if not well thought out plan. Giving away his location before he even was able to take down the Governor. Seriously - I'm ready for the Governor to be done as well as the whole Woodbury storyline. But, I'm looking forward to the final epic battle.

Zombie Merle was pretty awesome.

I was glad to see the show touch on these issues.

1. The ethics of turning over Michonne. The Bible verse Herschel read was perfect.
    2. Marriage in a world where such things are a purely cultural concept.
    3. Redemption and atonement. Merle recognized that he could never belong unless he took out the governor. He died trying, but he did try.
    4. Finally we get to see someone in the group, besides Andrea, have to shoot their own loved one. Andrea's was early on, and Rick shot Sophia. Shane doesn't count because they killed him. They didn't show Karl killing his mom, we had tension with Herschel when he lost his leg, but this time we saw Daryl have to skull crush his brother. How he tracked him in a car, I don't know.

Great episode. I really hope the Governor and Andrea don't live to see October. I'd like to see Rodriguez and the John Ritter nerd guy come over to the prison tribe.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

1. The ethics of turning over Michonne. The Bible verse Herschel read was perfect.
    3. Redemption and atonement. Merle recognized that he could never belong unless he took out the governor. He died trying, but he did try.
    4. Finally we get to see someone in the group, besides Andrea, have to shoot their own loved one. Andrea's was early on, and Rick shot Sophia. Shane doesn't count because they killed him. They didn't show Karl killing his mom, we had tension with Herschel when he lost his leg, but this time we saw Daryl have to skull crush his brother. How he tracked him in a car, I don't know.

Great episode. I really hope the Governor and Andrea don't live to see October. I'd like to see Rodriguez and the John Ritter nerd guy come over to the prison tribe.
    I think Andrea is toast. We've seen the Governor kill, and we've seen the governor do some stuff to Maggie, but we still haven't seen him get real sinister...we may see that with Andrea in the finale.

I also like where Darryl's character is going...the whole dynamic with Merle has been interesting to watch unfold over the last few episodes.

The finale should be great.

I think Andrea is toast. We've seen the Governor kill, and we've seen the governor do some stuff to Maggie, but we still haven't seen him get real sinister...we may see that with Andrea in the finale.

I also like where Darryl's character is going...the whole dynamic with Merle has been interesting to watch unfold over the last few episodes.

The finale should be great.
    It felt to me like Darryl had to literally kill Merle to figuratively kill the "Merle" within himself, or to complete that process. I think that had something to do with him stabbing him many more times than necessary. He didn't just kill Merle, he killed the hell out of him and then recoiled in horror/sadness. I'm glad you picked up on the marriage thing too wuap, I thought that was very interesting.

My guess is that Andrea is going to kill the governor and die herself. I think they will close the loop of her failing to kill him when she had the chance by her doing so but paying with her own life.

On a separate note, how long can zombies live for in this universe? Michonne crushed one's head with her foot last night and decapitated another one with rope. You can't do that to a human being without superhuman strength. Are the zombies getting weaker?
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

RE: zombies getting weaker, I read somewhere that they're a different color this year to show further decay.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes