Thread: Jason Collins comes out. First openly gay current NBA player

Jason Collins comes out. First openly gay current NBA player

σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

The most shocking thing about this article is that Jason Collins has an endorsement contract with Nike!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The most shocking thing about this article is that Jason Collins has an endorsement contract with Nike!
    I'm more shocked at the description of Collins as an "active player."

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Maybe he is LDS. He did go to Stanford, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I guess they have to describe him as an active player, because John Amechi came out a long time ago, and it wouldn't be news if it is a retired player.

This is not shocking. Shocking would be the NBA player with a guaranteed contract who doesn't have a shoe contract of some kind with an apparel maker.

So people are okay with redefining traditional basketball before we know what the effects will be? Amazing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...tball?s=mobile
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

lol

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    So people are okay with redefining traditional basketball before we know what the effects will be? Amazing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...tball?s=mobile
    Ha.
    I really wanted that to be more funny, but I'll take kindof funny, I guess.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

(@ConanOBrien) tweeted at 2:54 PM on Tue, Apr 30, 2013:
    Congratulations to NBA player Jason Collins on being brave enough to admit that he’s a Washington Wizard.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    (@ConanOBrien) tweeted at 2:54 PM on Tue, Apr 30, 2013:
    Congratulations to NBA player Jason Collins on being brave enough to admit that he’s a Washington Wizard.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Someone I know posted something similar on fb: "I would never share a locker room with Jason Collins because that would mean I play for the Wizards"

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is not shocking. Shocking would be the NBA player with a guaranteed contract who doesn't have a shoe contract of some kind with an apparel maker.
    If you wear the latest Jason Collins shoe in my neighborhood, you get beat down.
    Last edited by Applejack; 04-30-2013 at 08:55 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think it's all that surprising. So many people who come out have had long term heterosexual relationships, often including marriage with children.
    Well, she was surprised.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'd submit that she chose ​not to know.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

LAUte reads TMZ?!>!??!!??!

LAUte reads TMZ?!>!??!!??!
    I read Instapundit, which sometimes links me to TMZ. Does that count?

--Yeats

I read Instapundit, which sometimes links me to TMZ. Does that count?
    Just own it. You can catch the TV show as well if you want the behind the scenes action.

Just own it. You can catch the TV show as well if you want the behind the scenes action.
    I am starting to think I should say I read it only for the articles.

--Yeats