Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The youth sports thread

The youth sports thread

Took my 5 years old son to his second wrestling tourney today. He is wrestling kids with a year of experience and a year older. He is so close l0st his first match 11-7 but almost had the pin as time ran out in the final period.

Then he lost 8-6 as the kid had a reversal in the 3rd period. It's tough to watch him struggle. I really wish he could get over the hump.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 02-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

We are at a wrestling tournament right now. So far, so good. Won first match 4-1.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Just signed up the girl and oldest boy for softball/baseball. We took the winter off but am looking forward to another hectic spring/summer shuffling the kiddos to practice and games. I love that they love sports.

2-1 on the day. Pinned once, one pin, and the 4-1 decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

My 6th grader is trying to do baseball and rugby this spring. I don't think it is going to last. He says he likes rugby much better. We'll see.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Banned
    My younger son is competing in the state high school hockey playoffs. If we win tonight... it's on to the state championship.

We lost the championship last year by one goal in the final seconds.

He's been playing since he was a "gremlin".

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I coach my oldest HFN Jr's 5th grade bball team, we played awesome in the Jamboree going 5-1, which put us in the Gold division, the problem is we only played one other team placed in the Gold during the Jamboree. We have struggled in the upper divison are 2-3 right now.

With 2 boys playing sports every season and now a girl starting T-ball I don't know if I have time for life, a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I coach my oldest HFN Jr's 5th grade bball team, we played awesome in the Jamboree going 5-1, which put us in the Gold division, the problem is we only played one other team placed in the Gold during the Jamboree. We have struggled in the upper divison are 2-3 right now.

With 2 boys playing sports every season and now a girl starting T-ball I don't know if I have time for life, a lot of fun.
    It's such a fun thing to be involved in but also such a time drain.

My oldest just finished playing basketball on perhaps the worst team ever assembled in Northern California Rec League play. He and one other kid had decent skills. The rest of the team literally did nothing. One kid told me that he would only play defense. So, he would sit at the defensive side of the court and not participate on offense. Then, on defense he would stand near the free throw line and occasionally raise an arm.

Another kid ducked everytime a ball went near him.

My son and his buddy had a decent pick and roll game that would get us 20 points a game. But, we have up twice that almost every game.

We came close a few times to winning but ended up with 0 wins. Still, I loved every minute of the 2 months.

Good job HFN. I know u spend a lot of time coaching ur kids - I think it's awesome! Soon they will be too good for what we have to teach them. Want to be part of them growing up with sports.

I am glad that my experience this year was positive with families and crowds. In years past, that hasn't been the care.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

It is a hectic time when they are all going is different directions, but I love every minute if it.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    It's such a fun thing to be involved in but also such a time drain.........

I put about 25-30K a year on the car largely for travel sports.....from Vancouver BC to Pennsylvania.....sometimes fly but usually drive. It's the last summer for my senior. Brings me to tears whenever I think I won't be spending the summer traveling around with her anymore. Still, my other 2 kids keep us busy traveling around the area.

Some of you may have seen this story floating around last year...youth hockey coach jailed in Vancouver.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...layer/1950611/
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Uteboy3(aka "The Wrestler") was 4-2 over the last 2 days, 3 pins. He is now 6-3 on the season
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Uteboy3(aka "The Wrestler") was 4-2 over the last 2 days, 3 pins. He is now 6-3 on the season
    Uteboy3 was born to be a wrestler. Skinny as a bean pole, hyper-kinetic, and a bundle of nerves. Tell him Uncle Jer is proud.
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Awesome

Dan Sorenson posted this article on Twitter. I thought it was great, so thought I would share it with everyone. What kind of sports parent are you?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/more...-sports-parent
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

A little tougher weekend for Uteboy3 as he went 3-3 fri/sat. Record of 9-6 on the season.
    André Gide

Uteboy3 won his final tournament prior to state. Record to date 14-7.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    André Gide

Uteboy3 won his final tournament prior to state. Record to date 14-7.
    That's awesome Jarid - congrats to the little fella!

Uteboy3 is wrestling for the state championship as I type...and I am in SLC.
    André Gide

Uteboy3 is wrestling for the state championship as I type...and I am in SLC.
    Sorry. Let us know how he does.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Lost 10-2. So he finished the season 16-8, 2nd place state finish.

Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 04-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    André Gide

In high school our football coach wanted all football players to be in a sport all year round. So I went out for wrestling and quickly decided it wasn't for me. Still, based on that experience I've always respected wrestlers, even if I was ticked at my football coach.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    In high school our football coach wanted all football players to be in a sport all year round. So I went out for wrestling and quickly decided it wasn't for me. Still, based on that experience I've always respected wrestlers, even if I was ticked at my football coach.
    I've always wondered. Were the leather helmets a lot more comfortable than the modern ones?

I almost strangled my 7-year-old second baseman yesterday after about the 6th ground ball rolled right past him without him moving. After telling him for about the 20th time to stop playing in and eating the dirt, he told me that he wasn't eating dirt, he was eating grass and rocks. Oh, and he wasn't eating dirt he was dancing around and looking through his legs at his mother, who was laughing at him and encouraging him to do it. You know what they say about the apple and the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I almost strangled my 7-year-old second baseman yesterday after about the 6th ground ball rolled right past him without him moving. After telling him for about the 20th time to stop playing in and eating the dirt, he told me that he wasn't eating dirt, he was eating grass and rocks. Oh, and he wasn't eating dirt he was dancing around and looking through his legs at his mother, who was laughing at him and encouraging him to do it. You know what they say about the apple and the tree.
    There is a kid on my soccer team who likes to drop his pants regularly. Along with that and similar dirt eating and leg peering habits he drives me nuts.

Driving to our soccer game on Saturday my 5yo daughter says to me, "Dad, you have to talk to his father about that (dropping his pants), it isn't right." I agree and tell her I will talk to her father and she says, "There is also another boy in my class who likes to pull down his pants, and to have two people in my life like that... Well that is just too much to ask."

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    2 reasons my kids gravitated to competitive/elite/travel teams at an early age: the reason you noted, and coaching is necessarily done at the lowest common denominator, they got bored really fast. For some kids its like being a smart kid in class waiting for the others to catch up -- boredom strikes and the kid checks out.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    2 reasons my kids gravitated to competitive/elite/travel teams at an early age: the reason you noted, and coaching is necessarily done at the lowest common denominator, they got bored really fast. For some kids its like being a smart kid in class waiting for the others to catch up -- boredom strikes and the kid checks out.
    Yep. At a certain level and age, coaching youth sport is simply baby sitting. I don't like kids enough, besides my own, to baby sit them. I have to have some sort of ability to teach instead of baby sit or I'm not doing it.

Lost 10-2. So he finished the season 16-8, 2nd place state finish.

Good for him. Was his opponent the same kid that has whipped up on everyone all year?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    Good for him. Was his opponent the same kid that has whipped up on everyone all year?
    Yep. Wayne County. He was pinned in the first round by this kid 4 other times in the last 4 years.
    André Gide

Here's a kind-of-follow-up question. At what point in coaching youth sports do you start treating the kids unequally in terms of playing time and positions? I coach my 2 sons' baseball teams, and my oldest is in a league of 6 and 7 year olds, in which we don't keep score. Thus far, I have set up a chart at the beginning of the year that makes sure every kid plays every position completely equally, and bats in every lineup position equally. Next year, I'll be coaching a team of primarily 8-year-olds, with a few 9-year-olds, too. In that league, they do keep score and keep track of wins and losses. I'm not saying I would play the worst kids only in RF the whole game or something like that, but at what point would you start playing the better kids more at the premium positions? Thanks.