Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Smoke'm if you got'em

That looks delicious, Diehard. I love my smoker, and pork is just such a treat.

On SB Sunday I smoked up ~20# of pork shoulder, and froze most of it. Last week my wife made chicken and pork enchiladas using the smoked pork and it was better than ever. The smoked pork adds a distinct flavor that just seems to work well with the other ingredients.

for the 4th I'm smoking some ribs with cream soda, captain Morgan chipotle BBQ sauce. should be pretty good
    Last edited by bestellen; 01-03-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Okay. I need some help. Weíre in the process of finally installing our backyard and itís about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasnít been high demand, but thatís improving. As is my available free time.

So moving forward, Iíd like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

I do all the cooking at my house and Iím pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isnít very strong and Iím not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. Iím kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but Iím open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

I guess Iím looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely donít want to do a build in if it ends up being something Iím not satisfied with, so even though Iíve ignored this thread for a long time, Iím hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Okay. I need some help. We’re in the process of finally installing our backyard and it’s about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.
    It depends on what you want, I guess.

It's tricky to get everything you want in one piece of equipment.

The Big Green Egg can handle low temps for smoking and very high temps for grilling (searing). But it's really expensive, and it's not the easiest thing to use.

The Traeger is super easy and smokes well, but I don't think you can get it up to super hot temps for grilling. It's also pretty expensive.

A big kettle grill is really versatile and cheap, but it's a pain to heat up coals when you are used to propane.

You could get a good propane grill, but you won't smoke with it.

You could get two things - a propane grill and an electric smoker. The two together would cost less than a Traeger or Green Egg, but it wouldn't be just one piece of equipment built into a kitchen. The electric smokers work well for how cheap they are.

Personally, if I have to have just one thing, and it can't be one of the really expensive things, I'd take a grill over a smoker. I think it they get used more. Plus, I like grilled ribs almost as much as smoked ribs. Smoking takes a lot of time and effort, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth it when you can just go out to a BBQ joint a few times a year instead.

You could also consider a rotisserie spit if you want to build something cool - the best way to cook birds. Or, build a giant adobe pizza oven and become known for homemade pizza parties.
    Last edited by sancho; 06-29-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Okay. I need some help. We’re in the process of finally installing our backyard and it’s about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasn’t been high demand, but that’s improving. As is my available free time.

So moving forward, I’d like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

I do all the cooking at my house and I’m pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isn’t very strong and I’m not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. I’m kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but I’m open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

I guess I’m looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely don’t want to do a build in if it ends up being something I’m not satisfied with, so even though I’ve ignored this thread for a long time, I’m hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grow a set of testicles and get a Traeger.