Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smoke'm if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Kamado. The versatility is arguably its greatest advantage. I can smoke pork shoulders for 16 hours at 225F, I can grill burgers at normal grill temps, and I can sear a steak or fire a pizza at around 900F. If you're looking for a legitimate smoker with the most versatility, the kamado is it. If you're looking to flip a switch and be done, the kamado - although very easy to operate - is not the best option.
    The guys I work with are all huge fans of the big steel keg. They swear by it. I considered it but ultimately went for the traeger.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    The guys I work with are all huge fans of the big steel keg. They swear by it. I considered it but ultimately went for the traeger.
    That's one of my 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1370063046359.jpg

They cook great, are super efficient and cheap (I have less than $100 into this one) but they are a lot more work being charcoal and wood chunk based. I have never coiked on a Kamado or BGE but I imagine they are similar setup wise.

It is hard to beat the flip the switch ease of a pellet grill.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What do you guys think of the combo grill and smoker setups that are out there? I saw one yesterday that looked good. I've been grilling for so long that I don't want to give up that option.
    Did you end up getting something? My traeger is all ready for me and I should be able to fire it up this weekend for some salmon and a couple of whole chickens.

Has anyone ever cooked with the pecan wood? I bought some of that and am looking forward to trying it. Got some applewood to do pork.

Did you end up getting something? My traeger is all ready for me and I should be able to fire it up this weekend for some salmon and a couple of whole chickens.

Has anyone ever cooked with the pecan wood? I bought some of that and am looking forward to trying it. Got some applewood to do pork.
    I am pretty intrigued by one of the Kamados because it seems to allow both smoking and grilling pretty easily. But I will want to hang onto my gas grill until I am sure a Kamado works for me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Have any of you tried or heard word about the Cabela propane smoker / grill?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

They sell an electric as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    I thought this thread was about smoking cigarettes. I was wondering what the pictures of chickens would show. If anyone has a tip for how to quit smoking (particularly when your spouse also smokes) pass them along.
    cold turkey.

It took me a year of attempts & failures. I tried a pipe, cigars, roll-your-own, nicoret gum (nasty shit) -- and none of the gimmicks helped me even cut back. I finally quit cold turkey.

The first week is a bitch. It is a physical addiction not unlike a heroin or barbiturate addiction. I was worthless for that week - couldn't write or talk at work, and was a jerk to everyone. After the first week it gets easier. It changes from addiction to habituation. After a month, it was over for me except for smoky bars & parties. They were about $0.75 / pack back then. At my peak I was up to 2.5 to 3 packs/day. Today's cost ought to be a good motivator. Given the family history, I think I would have died of a heart attack by now if I hadn't quit 25 years ago.

You might try talking to your doctor about the drugs they prescribe now. Talk your wife into smoking outside and not in the car.

good luck
    Last edited by pangloss; 06-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Have any of you tried or heard word about the Cabela propane smoker / grill?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

They sell an electric as well.
    Looks interesting, and you can't beat the price. What do the smoker veterans here think?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I saw one of those yesterday, Jarid, and thought of you. I love barbecuing but so far have mastered only the standard Weber gas grill. I am due for anew one and Father's Day is coming, so I hope to learn a lot here in a short space of time. The Traeger in your photo does both barbecuing and smoking, right?

EDIT: I should add that I grew up BBQing on a Weber kettle, then graduated to a gas grill, so smokers a new to me. This Yelp page was pretty educational for me. One comment:

EDIT 2: This web page offers a great Traeger summary. Now I want one!
    I got a great father's day deal from a guy at mission Viejo traeger store (I used to live there)... here is the father's day deal...

The Lil Tex Elite is $799. If you order now you will receive a $75 mail in rebate, custom fit hydro tuff cover($56), cookbook ($20) chicken rub, free shipping
    and a 30 day money back guarantee as well as any 5 flavors of would pellets ($95)

The Jr is $399 with a $50 mail in rebate custom fit hydro tuff cover($56), cookbook ($20) chicken rub, free shipping
    and a 30 day money back guarantee and free upgrade to digital thermostat ($113).

I went with the lil tex because it has quite a bit more grill space and holds a lot more pellets.

David Williams
    Manager
    Traeger Mission Viejo
    714-514-3712

This is his contact information, LA. not a bad deal and he will ship for free so you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home/office.

Seasoning the traeger right now. Burgers and salmon tonight and then chickens tomorrow. I'm going to try the traeger rub w mesquite. Starting very simple.

The traeger looks fantastic in the back yard.

Seasoning the traeger right now. Burgers and salmon tonight and then chickens tomorrow. I'm going to try the traeger rub w mesquite. Starting very simple.

The traeger looks fantastic in the back yard.
    I would go easy on the traeger rub. It is very salty. Are you going to spatchcock the birds?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I would go easy on the traeger rub. It is very salty. Are you going to spatchcock the birds?
    I will go light.

Wasn't going to spatchcock this time. I saw yours earlier in the thread w the brine and I want to try that next. Costco had a sweet deal on chickens - 2 for $13. So, I grabbed those x 4.

Is there an advantage to spatchcocking besides quicker cook times?

What have you grilled up lately?

I will go light.

Wasn't going to spatchcock this time. I saw yours earlier in the thread w the brine and I want to try that next. Costco had a sweet deal on chickens - 2 for $13. So, I grabbed those x 4.

Is there an advantage to spatchcocking besides quicker cook times?

What have you grilled up lately?
    The advantage, imo, is that the meat cooks evenly. It allows all major parts of the bird to be in contact with the grill.

We did a shoulder and salmon last weekend. I wanted to do salmon again tomorrow but didn't get to the store in time tonight. I think the next thing I am going to do is an elk ribroast that i have in the freezer. I am thinking that the smoke will augment the wild flavor nicely.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

The advantage, imo, is that the meat cooks evenly. It allows all major parts of the bird to be in contact with the grill.

We did a shoulder and salmon last weekend. I wanted to do salmon again tomorrow but didn't get to the store in time tonight. I think the next thing I am going to do is an elk ribroast that i have in the freezer. I am thinking that the smoke will augment the wild flavor nicely.
    Sold me on spatchcocking for tomorrow. I have a decent pair of shears to cut it.

I haven't had elk in years. You'll have to get back about the results.

I was surprised at how easy the traeger was to set up. It was shipped to me. Each of the layers of boxes it was packed in literally peeled off like a strip tease. It was awesome. 45 minutes to season it and burn it in and then burgers and salmon. Burgers were cooked completely through but not charred anywhere. The salmon I left on for about 40 minutes at 300 and brushed it with some poppyseed dressing that I have. Delish!

Sold me on spatchcocking for tomorrow. I have a decent pair of shears to cut it.

I haven't had elk in years. You'll have to get back about the results.

I was surprised at how easy the traeger was to set up. It was shipped to me. Each of the layers of boxes it was packed in literally peeled off like a strip tease. It was awesome. 45 minutes to season it and burn it in and then burgers and salmon. Burgers were cooked completely through but not charred anywhere. The salmon I left on for about 40 minutes at 300 and brushed it with some poppyseed dressing that I have. Delish!
    I will never do whole chicken any other way.

I have pretty much converted my while family to salmon. Try setting it at 180 and cooking it until the fat part of the fillet is 130. Let rest for about 15 minutes. It takes about 90 minutes, but the smoke flavor can penetrate deeper and the flesh is very moist
    André Gide

I will never do whole chicken any other way.

I have pretty much converted my while family to salmon. Try setting it at 180 and cooking it until the fat part of the fillet is 130. Let rest for about 15 minutes. It takes about 90 minutes, but the smoke flavor can penetrate deeper and the flesh is very moist
    I will give that a go. What pellets do u use for ur salmon? I did eberything tonight with mesquite. Didn't smoke anything so there wasnt a ton of smoky flavor (none really).

Is there a fast way to empty the pellets from the bin if you want to use a different pellet for cooking something?

Is there a fast way to empty the pellets from the bin if you want to use a different pellet for cooking something?
    1. Find offspring
    2. Find small cup
    3. Mix #1 and #2

It will be empty in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    1. Find offspring
    2. Find small cup
    3. Mix #1 and #2

It will be empty in no time.
    Hahaha!!! Brilliant!

What brine and/or rub do you use?

Pork shoulder today. 2 8# from Costco brined overnight (salt, molasses, water) then a rub (cumin,coriander,fennel, garlic,onion,mustard,paprika,chili powder). Smoke at 225 until 150 degrees then wrap in foil and finish in the oven at 300 degrees until the thermometer shows 200. Will post pics later.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    What brine and/or rub do you use?
    Spade L fish rub, and a sprig of Rosemary on top.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    You will absolutely love the traeger. My wife continues to tell me it is the best culinary investment I have made.

For Mothers day, I ended up cooking for 3 families. My own little family and 2 other families in my ward whose dad's had one or more things going on that ended up not allowing them to cook dinner for their families. I went with pulled pork and smoked 3 pork shoulders. One per family, they needed some leftovers for the week.

It ended up being the best I have done so far. I had 3 bone in shoulders, all 3 weighed around 7 pounds. On Saturday night I trimmed the fat, applied a good amount of rub to the three of them and threw them back in the fridge. Woke up on Sunday morning at 7, turned the smoker on to 225. Had a mixture of pecan and mesquite pellets in the hopper. Put the butts on around 7:15. When I got home from church at 12:20ish, the internal temp on all 3 was around 170 degrees. I lightly squirted the pork with apple juice every 30 minutes until the internal temp hit 199 at 3. I then foiled it and put it in the oven at 170 until 5:15. I only let it rest for about 15 minutes before I started pulling it apart. I promised them we would deliver it at 6. It shredded perfectly. moist and tender with a ton of flavor. The bark was crispy and tasty. It was a hit.

I need to do a better job taking pictures of the product. That helps tell the story.
    I'm copy-catting you tomorrow on this. Doing 2 shoulders. What rub did you use - something that can be picked up at the store?

I'm attempting ribs tomorrow...we shall see how this goes

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm copy-catting you tomorrow on this. Doing 2 shoulders. What rub did you use - something that can be picked up at the store?
    I did a couple of different rubs, one was Bad Byron's butt rub. Many stores carry it. Some people are not fans but it is my wife's favorite. Since it was Mother's Day, that was the one we kept. As for the other rub, I tried one that I picked up at this BBQ store that just opened up by my house. It is called Obie - Clies BBQ bomber. Mild brown sugar flavor. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm attempting ribs tomorrow...we shall see how this goes

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    i am doing ribs tomorrow as well. Picked up a pack of baby backs from Costco this afternoon. Can't Wait!

I will be taking my maiden voyage with tri-tip tomorrow.
    André Gide

Thanks HL. Good luck with your ribs fellas and the tri tip Jarid. Should be an excellent Father's Day for eating.

Damn that apple wood smells good coming out of the traeger with some pork cooking inside.

I will be taking my maiden voyage with tri-tip tomorrow.
    Let me know how it turned out. I did it last weekend with some kosher salt rubbed outside and then smeared some mustard with the salt. Just common French's mustard and it was delicious.