Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoke'm if you got'em

Hybrid View

Smoke'm if you got'em

This thread will be dedicated to the fine art of barbeque. I purchased this piece of culinary equipment Friday. For its maiden voyage, we will be cooking spatchcock chicken this afternoon.

uploadfromtaptalk1368384830515.jpg
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I saw one of those yesterday, Jarid, and thought of you. I love barbecuing but so far have mastered only the standard Weber gas grill. I am due for anew one and Father's Day is coming, so I hope to learn a lot here in a short space of time. The Traeger in your photo does both barbecuing and smoking, right?

EDIT: I should add that I grew up BBQing on a Weber kettle, then graduated to a gas grill, so smokers a new to me. This Yelp page was pretty educational for me. One comment:

Well, there is grilling, bbq'ing and smoking and you want different equipment for different manners of cooking. I did take the leap and purchased the Traeger that Costco was selling at an unbeatable price. It is beautiful. It sat on my deck for 3 weeks before I delved into cooking on it.

My first meal cooked on it was a feast. I figured if I was going to fire it up and use the fairly expensive pellets to cook, I would fill up the girll. I cooked up a gorgeous albacore tenderloin, several chicken legs and a pile of veggies, all at different times and the albacore and chicken with different marinades. My life in the kitchen is changed. Everything will go on the Traeger unless the weather is terribly inclement. I LOVE OUR TRAEGER!!!
    EDIT 2: This web page offers a great Traeger summary. Now I want one!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I saw one of those yesterday, Jarid, and thought of you. I love barbecuing but so far have mastered only the standard Weber gas grill. I am due for anew one and Father's Day is coming, so I hope to learn a lot here in a short space of time. The Traeger in your photo does both barbecuing and smoking, right?

EDIT: I should add that I grew up BBQing on a Weber kettle, then graduated to a gas grill, so smokers a new to me. This Yelp page was pretty educational for me. One comment:

:facepalm:

I know a website with thousands of posts and photos about cooking with a pellet grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    :facepalm:

I know a website with thousands of posts and photos about cooking with a pellet grill.
    Right - I never really paid much attention to it but I knew the name Traeger, so when I saw a grill with that name yesterday I began to get interested. I'll check the CS thread out.

EDIT: Only 778 posts.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

I thought this thread was about smoking cigarettes. I was wondering what the pictures of chickens would show. If anyone has a tip for how to quit smoking (particularly when your spouse also smokes) pass them along.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    I thought this thread was about smoking cigarettes. I was wondering what the pictures of chickens would show. If anyone has a tip for how to quit smoking (particularly when your spouse also smokes) pass them along.
    cold turkey.

It took me a year of attempts & failures. I tried a pipe, cigars, roll-your-own, nicoret gum (nasty shit) -- and none of the gimmicks helped me even cut back. I finally quit cold turkey.

The first week is a bitch. It is a physical addiction not unlike a heroin or barbiturate addiction. I was worthless for that week - couldn't write or talk at work, and was a jerk to everyone. After the first week it gets easier. It changes from addiction to habituation. After a month, it was over for me except for smoky bars & parties. They were about $0.75 / pack back then. At my peak I was up to 2.5 to 3 packs/day. Today's cost ought to be a good motivator. Given the family history, I think I would have died of a heart attack by now if I hadn't quit 25 years ago.

You might try talking to your doctor about the drugs they prescribe now. Talk your wife into smoking outside and not in the car.

good luck
    Last edited by pangloss; 06-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.

I got a great father's day deal from a guy at mission Viejo traeger store (I used to live there)... here is the father's day deal...

The Lil Tex Elite is $799. If you order now you will receive a $75 mail in rebate, custom fit hydro tuff cover($56), cookbook ($20) chicken rub, free shipping
    and a 30 day money back guarantee as well as any 5 flavors of would pellets ($95)

The Jr is $399 with a $50 mail in rebate custom fit hydro tuff cover($56), cookbook ($20) chicken rub, free shipping
    and a 30 day money back guarantee and free upgrade to digital thermostat ($113).

I went with the lil tex because it has quite a bit more grill space and holds a lot more pellets.

David Williams
    Manager
    Traeger Mission Viejo
    714-514-3712

This is his contact information, LA. not a bad deal and he will ship for free so you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home/office.

I am hoping to build an Ugly Drum Smoker this summer. I have been smoking on my Weber kettle so far. Its a lot of fun. BBQ Brethren forum is an excellent resource for all things bbq

The inaugural firing was a success.

I started by breaking down the birds spatchcock style(actually did half-spatch on the advice that it would be easier to handle on the grill).

uploadfromtaptalk1368406565849.jpg

I then brined them overnight with a mixture of salt, sugar, minced garlic, and water. I like using the gallon ziplock bags to avoid contaminating the cooler.

uploadfromtaptalk1368406671343.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368406701151.jpg

After the overnight brine, I pat them dry and applied the Traeger chicken rub that came free with the smoker.

uploadfromtaptalk1368406812929.jpg
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

On to the grill

uploadfromtaptalk1368406856417.jpg

I cooked at 325 until 130 degrees in the breast, then bumped up to 375 until 160. I mopped with Italian dressing twice during the process.

uploadfromtaptalk1368407044180.jpg

The flavor was great, the skin didn't get quite as crisp as I would like. Probably due to the mop. The Traeger rub is a little salty as well. But overall, everyone loved it. A passion is born.
    André Gide

Jarid - which model is your traeger?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Jarid - which model is your traeger?
    The Texas grill.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    The Texas grill.
    I'm getting the lil tex elite. Texas was a little bigger than I need and the jr was way too small. Wife agrees it will be a welcome edition to the family.

I'm getting the lil tex elite. Texas was a little bigger than I need and the jr was way too small. Wife agrees it will be a welcome edition to the family.
    The lil Tex Elite is the perfect size if you don't cook for huge groups on a regular basis. I can smoke a whole brisket, a few pork shoulders, or up 4 racks of ribs (without stands) at a time on mine. I'm very happy with it.

What do you guys think of the combo grill and smoker setups that are out there? I saw one yesterday that looked good. I've been grilling for so long that I don't want to give up that option.

--Yeats

What do you guys think of the combo grill and smoker setups that are out there? I saw one yesterday that looked good. I've been grilling for so long that I don't want to give up that option.
    Kamado. The versatility is arguably its greatest advantage. I can smoke pork shoulders for 16 hours at 225F, I can grill burgers at normal grill temps, and I can sear a steak or fire a pizza at around 900F. If you're looking for a legitimate smoker with the most versatility, the kamado is it. If you're looking to flip a switch and be done, the kamado - although very easy to operate - is not the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Kamado. The versatility is arguably its greatest advantage. I can smoke pork shoulders for 16 hours at 225F, I can grill burgers at normal grill temps, and I can sear a steak or fire a pizza at around 900F. If you're looking for a legitimate smoker with the most versatility, the kamado is it. If you're looking to flip a switch and be done, the kamado - although very easy to operate - is not the best option.
    This looks like a very appealing option. Is it true that you're ready to cook in 15 minutes? If so, I could see myself giving up my gas barbecue. It looks like if you just want to grill, you can get to the right temperature simply by controlling the airflow. Do you use the special natural wood charcoal they offer?

--Yeats

Hard to argue, especially when you consider the price.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Hard to argue, especially when you consider the price.
    Looks like it's possible to spend a lot of money on one of those as well....

--Yeats

Looks like it's possible to spend a lot of money on one of those as well....
    Its all relative. A man of your stature shall not be bothering by such trivial matters.

The guys I work with are all huge fans of the big steel keg. They swear by it. I considered it but ultimately went for the traeger.

The guys I work with are all huge fans of the big steel keg. They swear by it. I considered it but ultimately went for the traeger.
    That's one of my 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1370063046359.jpg

They cook great, are super efficient and cheap (I have less than $100 into this one) but they are a lot more work being charcoal and wood chunk based. I have never coiked on a Kamado or BGE but I imagine they are similar setup wise.

It is hard to beat the flip the switch ease of a pellet grill.

Did you end up getting something? My traeger is all ready for me and I should be able to fire it up this weekend for some salmon and a couple of whole chickens.

Has anyone ever cooked with the pecan wood? I bought some of that and am looking forward to trying it. Got some applewood to do pork.

Did you end up getting something? My traeger is all ready for me and I should be able to fire it up this weekend for some salmon and a couple of whole chickens.

Has anyone ever cooked with the pecan wood? I bought some of that and am looking forward to trying it. Got some applewood to do pork.
    I am pretty intrigued by one of the Kamados because it seems to allow both smoking and grilling pretty easily. But I will want to hang onto my gas grill until I am sure a Kamado works for me.

--Yeats

Have any of you tried or heard word about the Cabela propane smoker / grill?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

They sell an electric as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Have any of you tried or heard word about the Cabela propane smoker / grill?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

They sell an electric as well.
    Looks interesting, and you can't beat the price. What do the smoker veterans here think?

--Yeats

Smoke'm if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am skeptical of them. I have a char broil combo smoker, roaster, grill. It is a great roaster/grill, but it's not a smoker. I can get smoke flavor and a smoke ring, but it won't go low enough to truly smoke something for hours. A rack of ribs on the lowest heat is done in an hour, so it hasn't truly been smoked (very tasty though - some argue that grilled ribs are the way to go).

Reviews I read on smokers with a grill feature are that you can't get a high enough heat to really grill.
    Yeah, I am worried about the same thing. But the one I saw was a smoker on one side and a grill on the other. Here's a description:

http://www.osh.com/eng/product/smoke..._grill/6867378

It's kind of a monster but it does do everything.

EDIT: Looks like too much work:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...-1-combo-grill
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-26-2013 at 11:55 PM.

--Yeats