Thread: Tires! Tires! Tires!

Tires! Tires! Tires!

So we currently have Michelin Latitude Touring tires on my wife's Honda Pilot. It is all-wheel drive and seems to eat up tires. We only got 35,000 miles on the 65,000 mile warranty tire.

She is now down at Discount Tire getting new tires put on. We are stepping up to the Michelin LTX (70,000 mile warranty) to see if we can get more mileage out of them. We got half our money back on the old tires and Discount has a $100 rebate going on this weekend so it is not breaking the bank. We like the ride of the Michelins but don't want to pay for new tire every couple years.

Anybody have the same issue with their cars or any recommendations if these tires don't cut the mustard?

Lastly I don't pay for the "free replacement" policy they offer at Discount as I think that it is not worth the $26 per tire they want to charge me. What say ye?

I have never been impressed with Michelin tires. I just replaced all four on my car that is only 18 months old because I had one side wall blowout and the other three had major bulging on the sidewall. Michelin didn't think that problem fit under tire warranty.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

My luck with Michelin has not been good either and I don't have them any more. They are expensive and I wouldn't mind that if they weren't so unreliable.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So what did you guys go with as a replacement?

As someone who had expensive tires (245/40ZR20 fronts and 275/45ZR20 rears) I never even look at Michelin.

I was a Continental/General guy but had a supply issue recently.

I'm now running a Cooper and have quite liked it.

Mileage depends a lot on road surfaces, driving habits etc. I go through tires on my patrol car very quickly, we all do.

I wouldn't ever expect to get more than 40,000 out of a tire

As for replacement, I always buy the certificates. I got a blister in the sidewall of a tire this spring. That $26 saved me spending $290 on a new tire. (Tires for my car are close to $300 each)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Lastly I don't pay for the "free replacement" policy they offer at Discount as I think that it is not worth the $26 per tire they want to charge me. What say ye?
    For whatever it's worth, I bought tires at Discount and ran over a screw (on my way to the official restaurant of Ute fans, Scaddy's, of all places) about a year later. I hadn't purchased the "free replacement" thing but when I went back in for the replacement, they said it would be cheaper to basically add the free replacement to my prior purchase rather than purchase the new tire. So they essentially retroactively allowed me to purchase the free replacement for the one tire. Not sure how often they offer that but you may consider gambling that if you need a replacement later on they may do the same for you?

My experience has been that Discount will take care of you no matter what happens. I've seen them give a free tire to a guy because he had one that was bald and he didn't want to pay for a replacement, but they didn't feel good letting him leave on the garbage tire.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    As someone who had expensive tires (245/40ZR20 fronts and 275/45ZR20 rears) I never even look at Michelin.
    When I was buying tires for my Trans Am's and Corvettes over the years, I always thought they were expensive too.

It's all relative... The tires on my truck are over 600 bucks each. Hell, the back tire on my motorcycle was 300 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    So what did you guys go with as a replacement?
    I have used Firestone, Goodyear and Bridgestone, all with better luck that I have had with Michelin (two different cars)
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I have used Firestone, Goodyear and Bridgestone, all with better luck that I have had with Michelin (two different cars)

I am always bridgestone. Have worked well for me, so I stick with it.

Thanks for all the recommendations. If the new michelins tires we just purchased do not work out then we will definitely give something else a try.

I'm a loyal Discount Tire customer. And I am partial to Yokohama tires.

I usually stick pretty close to the tirerack.com recommendations, so have had about as many brands over the years as you can imagine, and haven't found one brand superior to all others. It typically depends on the specific tire. This fall I'm putting Firestone's on my truck over the comparably rated Michelins. Saves about $100 per tire.

In one size I couldn't find a good tire (295/40-21), as only one all-season tire was manufactured and it was a POC. I ended up buying new 20 inch rims just to get a good set of all-season tires.

Tirerack.com and 1010tires.com are good starting points. And don't forget about the lesser known nokian tires which aren't on either site. Their "all-weather" WRXX tires are about the best things going IMO, if they happens to come in the size you need. They'd be the ideal "Utah" tire.
    Last edited by mUUser; 05-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I've had great luck with Continental tires. Michelins seem to be great for low road noise, but they always wear out way way way faster on me than the warranty, and then I always seem to feel cheated by how much value they assign to the warranty coverage for buying the new ones.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes