Thread: Academic Success

Academic Success

This is for all sports, with the gymnasts leading the way

Utes set a record with an athletic department GPA of 3.153

Gymnasts place entire team on the honor roll and post a GPA of 3.772 (7 gymnasts had 4.0 GPA's)

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/56...letes.html.csp

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    This is for all sports, with the gymnasts leading the way

Utes set a record with an athletic department GPA of 3.153

Gymnasts place entire team on the honor roll and post a GPA of 3.772 (7 gymnasts had 4.0 GPA's)

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/56...letes.html.csp
    This seems to run counter to the narrative some people like about Utah athletes.

Seriously, this is really great news. I'm proud. Thanks for posting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Here's an interesting article by good old Brandon Gurney:

Utah, BYU and Utah State all receive passing grades in NCAA's latest APR report

Now I have a challenge for all of you: Read the article and see if you can tell how BYU stacks up against Utah.

I have the distinct impression that Utah did very well, better than USU or BYU. But you can't really get that out of the G-Man's piece. He says "The overall average for Utah teams was 981," but I don't find any overall average reported for BYU.

Drilling down into the numbers a bit perhaps tells us why. BYU's basketball team had a 981 score -- the same as Utah's overall score for all sports. BYU football had "a 943 score to boost its average to a relatively low 931 over the last four years."

Here are the NCAA standards against which these numbers must be measured:

Beginning with the 2012-13 NCAA-sanctioned championships, teams must have a minimum average APR of 900 over the previous four years or a 930 average over the previous two years to be eligible to participate. For 2014-15 championships, teams must have a 930 four-year average or a 940 average over the previous two years to participate. In 2015-16 and beyond, teams must have a four-year APR of 930 to compete, according to the NCAA's website.
    So if I am reading this right, BYU football is (cough) 1 point above the minimum standard and (cough) is succeeding at a rate that barely qualifies it for the 2014-15 championships, whatever that means. In any case, it looks like the Cougars are getting a low "C" at best.

This seems like a good subject for SoCalPat to dive into. Anyway, you have to read Gurney's piece very carefully to determine that Utah's Academic Progress Rate is way ahead of BYU's. Then again, I could be reading this wrong. Of course, a well-written article wouldn't leave us guessing as to what the story really is.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-12-2013 at 07:34 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Here is a link to the APR. http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp Just plug in the school and it will bring up all sports. I haven't found where it shows you the entire schools score.

Here is how BYU's Football team has done.
    2004-2005 - 928
    05-06 - 945
    06-07 - 946
    07-08 - 942
    08-09 - 940
    09-10 - 929
    10-11 - 932
    11-12 - 931 Ave = 936.6

Here is Utahs.
    04-05 -954
    05-06 -949
    06-07 -944