Thread: Baseball Draft - Mason Smith

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.

Baseball Draft - Mason Smith

Not sure what this young mans tie with the U are but saw this the other day on the local news. I don't know him but he lives in my area here in Boise and there is a good handful of Utes living here. At about the 1:55 mark a niece little item comes into view. http://www.ktvb.com/sports/MLB-Draft...210448181.html

He was picked up in the 4th round by the Padres in the draft. Congrats to him.

His tie to the U is that he signed his LOI to play at Utah.

Utah baseball signees

Getting drafted doesn't necessarily mean that he won't play at Utah now, but Kinneberg will need to talk to Smith to find out just what the kid's plans are.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Thanks Garth,
    I should have done my homework. After you said he LOIed I remember there was a local signee.
    Looks like there is another story on him being drafted and mentioning that he signed with Utah. You see it through my original link (related stories).

I'm not much of a baseball fan so I don't know a lot about the in and outs with this issue, but with him going in the 4th round mean he's more likely to go pro or is there a good chance we'll see him in Ute gear?

4-5th round is a transition from obvious to go pro to obvious to get an education. I hope he stays. He is the type of player that we need to keep around for 3 years if we are going to get to the upper third of the conference
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    4-5th round is a transition from obvious to go pro to obvious to get an education. I hope he stays. He is the type of player that we need to keep around for 3 years if we are going to get to the upper third of the conference
    Agreed. The Padres feel that he has the talent to eventually get to the major league so they drafted him; however, baseball takes time for a player to develop, so he'll spend several years in the minor leagues honing his skills. Unless the Padres have determined that he'll be on the 25 man roster in the next 2 years, I think he'd do himself a favor to play at Utah and get his degree. He'll be better than he is today, stronger than he is today and will spend fewer years in the minors if he's good enough to play in the big leagues.

As long as he doesn't sign with the Padres now he won't forfeit his college eligibility. In a few years, he can agree to be drafted again by the Padres (that's my understanding, but I could be wrong) in a few years, or put his name back into the draft to be selected by any team.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Losing Otteson early is painful
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Andre Jackson will join Otteson with the Dodgers as a pitcher. Drafted in 12th round.

http://www.truebluela.com/mlb-draft/...lections-11-20
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Rose and Carroll to the Brewers. Pitchers Otteson, Rose, Jackson and Drachler -- either drafted or graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Losing Otteson early is painful
    But at least he went to the Dodgers!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell