Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The widening tent

I often feel like I'm out of touch with the church. Prop 8, ALL worthy members holding the priesthood, and either husband or wife at home full-time, if possible, makes sense to me (I just don't understand the emphasis on assigned gender specific roles). Perhaps in another generation these teachings will go the way of polygamy and race based priesthood. That's my hope anyway.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

A question for all of you from the outside regarding pay

What are your thoughts on the LDS Churches paid security division?

How much do mission presidents earn ? I had no idea they were paid.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    How much do mission presidents earn ? I had no idea they were paid.
    It depends, as I understand the policy. The costs of running the mission home (rent, utilities, etc.) are covered by the church. As far as living allowances go, some of the MPs take no living allowance, if they are in a position to forego that. Others do get a living allowance.

It's relevant to all this that the church does not call anyone as an MP these days whose career or livelihood would be harmed by walking away from it for three years. (That's one reason why church employees are so often called as MPs -- they have no trouble taking a leave of absence from their jobs.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    A question for all of you from the outside regarding pay

What are your thoughts on the LDS Churches paid security division?
    I have a cousin who was a body guard to ezra taft Benson. He always had good stories. My favorite is where ETB Told him he didn't like his tie.

Imho I would never work for the lds church. They are way too cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I have a cousin who was a body guard to ezra taft Benson. He always had good stories. My favorite is where ETB Told him he didn't like his tie.

Imho I would never work for the lds church. They are way too cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I think you'd be surprised what they're paying some of the upper end guys. They're almost all retired cops, and from what I've heard, they're paid well.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Really? Those historical issues are two of the biggest question marks for most Mormons. There are all kinds of doctrinal issues involved. Prop 8 was a small political debate in which the church played a role entirely consistent with either 150 years or thousands of years of doctrine, depending on how you want to look at it. I'm always amazed at how worked up people get about politics.
    Really. I guess I'm a "what have you done for me lately" kind of guy. The historical issues don't affect my day to day life, worship, etc.. They may be bothersome but I'm much more interested in the Church today than 20, 30, 50, 150 years ago. I recognize that I may be an oddball (in this and many other respects) .

I have no problem with the lionization of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and so many other early members of the church. They earned it. By they way, the author of the article had no problem accepting that these people were imperfect. His problem came when he felt insulted as a historian.
    My point is that the reason the Church has treated thorny historical issues this way is because they are worried that people will lose their testimonies over them. If their imperfections were part of the story all along this would not be an issue.

Appreciating these folks for their contributions (which are huge) is one thing. Treating them like demigods is another thing entirely. Which was really the point of my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    I think the example you gave about a woman deciding to work outside the home is perfect and one I support. A family, for a variety of reasons unique to them may decide by the Spirit that Mom needs to be working. Church leaders have said as much fairly recently. The general counsel still applies and I think you agree with that. Just like missionaries shouldn't rely on memorized discussions anymore (the fact they ever did astounds me), members of the church have to rely more on the spirit.

As it relates to doctrinal issues such as gay marriage and women and the priesthood, I think my "both cannot be correct" statement still stands. Either the Lord is in favor of same sex marriage or he isn't. Each member of the Church should determine by the Spirit what they believe the will of the Lord is. I feel at peace and you might say have received spiritual confirmation in the Church's current position on both gay marriage and women and the priesthood. It is fair to say that others have received confirmations of their own that contradict mine. The Lord is not going to tell me that gay marriage is not his appointed way or that women have a different role while at the same time tell others the exact opposite. So I believe using the Prophets words is a good starting point, but not the finish line.

Bringing it back around to the original point I was trying to make: I think as we approach LDS history it is important to remember that even the best of mortal men (Thomas S Monson, Gordon B. Hinckley, and yes Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) are flawed and prone to error. I agree with you that each member of the Church should seek to know by the Spirit what the prophets say is true with the caveat that disagreement COULD (not will) lead to dangerous spiritual territory. Such disagreements SHOULD be rare, and in my view, are best treated with an eye of hope that the policy will be changed through inspiration (just how I view the Church's view on scouting...and by that I mean I hope they get rid of it altogether).
    So if you start telling everyone that the Church should not be involved in scouting, you're across the line. Hoping that it will be that way some day is another thing entirely. That's all I'm saying. And the same logic can apply to any number of things.

I think we mostly agree on this.

No, there are many historians who don't, but who is ever going to hear from them? They are neither vocal nor visible. History is a funny thing. We know so little and pretend to know so much.

I don't see why history should be more than a tangential part of Sunday School or seminary. Sure, use an example from church history if you are teaching a lesson on faith, but where in the curriculum should we be talking about Joseph's taste in wine? I suppose it could be helpful to have some curriculum just to prepare people for attacks on their faith that they will unfortunately be subject to. It might be good to sort through some of the true and untrue things that Joseph and Brigham are accused of.
    Yes, it just doesn't belong. Let people who are interested in history pursue that hobby. Maybe those people - like the author - need a class reminding them that the rest of the world finds history to be a little boring.

Every once in a while, a hobby Bible historian (or even worse, an academic) will be called to teach Sunday school. That's when I know I will be attending gospel essentials for a year or so. I just can't take the 40 minutes of intended interpretations of the original syriac from the new testament.
    This is right. The 4th year of D&C/History is about doctrine, about practical religion, about charity, etc (same as the other 3 years). It's just that the examples are drawn from church history instead of new testament history. It's not about learning history, it's about learning religion. Not everyone in a gospel doctrine class is interested in a history lesson, but everyone there should be interested in a doctrine lesson.
    I guess so. But this new phase may seem more dramatic than it really is because historians have also changed the way they approach Mormonism. I have no problem with the Church condemning history written with an obvious agenda. But there are more honest Mormon historians then ever. Having many serious non-LDS church historians is a recent development. It's like the Chuch is a turtle than can finally come out of its shell.

I have no problem with the lionization of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and so many other early members of the church. They earned it. By they way, the author of the article had no problem accepting that these people were imperfect. His problem came when he felt insulted as a historian.
    Sancho, you seem like a good guy, but I think you're talking out of your ass on this one.

Your outright dismissal of the role of history in teaching, understanding, and even testifying of doctrine is puzzling. If you find it all boring, you might not be asking the right questions, or might not be open to learning new things.

There is value in keeping, reading, and interpreting records of the past.
    After all, Mormon was a historian.

Besides, LDS scripture supports this idea. D&C 47.3 and 69.3 suggest the importance of compiling a historical record (for future historians), and 95.53 is much more explicit in its admonition to study history and cultures for the salvation of Zion.
    http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-tes...53?lang=eng#53

On the other hand, the LDS church has big problems with real historians (what I think you refer to as "honest Mormon historians" above).
    Whether it's the way LDS leaders have treated Quinn or the discontinuation of graduate programs at the byu, historians have been treated as threats to the LDS order in recent years. Maybe this is ebbing right now (I certainly had the impression that President Hinckley was a pretty accommodating guy), but over the past 30 or so years, historians have been seen as a threat to faith. This is because historians do not recognize ecclesiastical authority for explaining Big Questions. Instead, they rely on documents, reason, and logic to explain and to make meaning of the world. Historians are humanists (except at the byu where they are lumped in with the social scientists). Professionally, they are less interested in God than in what humans do under the influence of God.

Guys like Bushman are fine, but they're more important for their contributions in mainstreaming the work of the earlier pioneers (Brooks, Brodie, Morgan, even Arrington). IMO, Bushman's great achievement (besides his work the restoration of the Melchizidek priesthood issue) is making palatable dicey or previously scandalous topics. He offers very little new, but he synthesizes the material very well and in a way especially geared towards the believers (not a bad thing).

However, Quinn's talk "On Being a Mormon Historian" is still far too applicable. Even if things have improved in the past 30 years at the administrative level, there is still a lot of resistance at the local level (as evidenced by the quoted brusque dismissal of history as boring and out-of-place in Sunday School).

Relatively speaking, I think that there are few active, believing LDS historians who write responsibly (that is, unapologetically) on touchy LDS issues. Part of this is due to the "boutique" nature of being a Mormon historian. However, another part is this perceived antithetical relationship between history & faith.

Some have cited the JS papers project as evidence of a changing tide, and I'll be interested to see how that all shakes out, but even then the papers aren't history. They're sources for historians.

In the end, historians often tell us more about the culture they were living & writing in than the cultures treated in their books. I see merit in applying this idea to the state of Mormon studies today.

PS - the NT has no original Syriac. Its original language was Greek, although some of the Syriac texts today are our oldest surviving copies.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Solon, I think what is worth celebrating is a new openness. I think a purely non-apologetic, uncorrelated approach to church history has an important place (although it's not what floats my boat) but not in Sunday School. That's all I'm saying. With the source materials becoming more openly available don't you think Claremont's Mormon Studies program and similar programs at USU and the U. are better places for such non-apologetic historians to work?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I find the discussion about the history interesting. It is absolutely ingrained into LDS teaching and theology/doctrine. Without it, the LDS church is just another Christian religion.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

You are right about everything except me being a good guy. I'm a jerk. And a rat. A rat-jerk.

I didn't make my point clearly. History is very valuable in Sunday School. The point I tried to make is the same thing you said, that history's role in Sunday School is to "teach, understand, and testify" of doctrine.

As for the Chuch and history, I'm not sure what people want out of the Church. I thought there might be some room for an interpretation that goes beyond the traditional Big Brother stuff. You clearly know way more about this than I do, though.

And I apologize for calling history boring. It most certainly is not.
    Dammit, there you go being a good guy again.

I suspect we agree on this more than we disagree, friend.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Dammit, there you go being a good guy again.

I suspect we agree on this more than we disagree, friend.
    This is a very boring exchange. Can't you guys at least call each other names, or maybe question one another's intelligence?

--Yeats