Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of Church Callings

Pros/Cons of Church Callings

I've been team teaching the 5-6 year olds with my wife now for about 18 months. I had previously taught the 8-9 year olds a few years back by myself (before they enforced the two teacher policy).

A couple of things happened yesterday and today that made me reflect on the good and bad of this calling. In no particular order:

Cons:
    • Not being able to sleep through/play iPad games/skip priesthood and sunday school (kids require your full attention)
    • Some kids can be real brats
    • Getting substitutes for sundays you can't be there
    • Much like exile, not knowing what is going on, any new people in the ward
    • Primary songs get stuck in your head for the rest of the week (Happy, happy birthday children dear. . . going through my head right now)

Pros:
    • Sunday only calling. An hour or less of prep, 45 minute lesson, 45 minutes playing reverence police, and I'm done for the week.
    • Lesson prep is easy, a good story or two, a game, or a picture to color and you're set
    • Having snacks during class is expected, and I get to choose what they are
    • Get to know the kids and watch them grow up and develop from afar.
    • some of the kids can be real angels. One little girl came up and gave me a hug after church, which just melted my heart, and made my week.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    • some of the kids can be real angels. One little girl came up and gave me a hug after church, which just melted my heart, and made my week.

She was picking your pocket... watch our for the sweet ones.

At that age, they are just going for candy or loose change, so the reward is worth the risk.

I serve in the elders quorum presidency and here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    - I get to teach once a quarter on any topic of my choosing
    - I get to spend time with and support the EQ Pres who is a very good guy
    - My opinions have greater sway on who gets what callings or assignments in EQ
    - I have keys to the church

Cons:
    - My presence at service projects and activities is expected instead of voluntary
    - I am supposed to be an example as a home teacher.
    - Non sunday meetings and visits
    - PPIs

Assigned the 6 year olds in primary this year. 10 in the class. Really? I'm a 50 year old curmudgeon that has no patience for weekly string art, cut n paste, coloring, making badges & pins, silly songs etc..... Essentially 2 hours of babysitting. I'VE DONE MY TIME GUYS!!!!!

Does this sound like an inspired calling to you? Ugh......
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I might trade you. I'm in youth sunday school, which I love, but the Church has the same lessons year after year. I'm onto my third round of "The Godhead" lessons in January. In Utah, it's no big deal because the teacher gets a new set of students each year. But in my ward, I have the 14-18 year old class, so this will be the third time around for some of the students. I'm running out of stories to tell! I now have to go off reservation and make up my own topics and lessons, which is a lot more work and which may be a disservice to the new students who haven't been through the manual yet.

Ten 6-year-old sounds like a handful.
    I take it all back. It was an inspired calling. I forgot how sweet 6 year old kids can be. Yes, a busy handful but no guile in their being at all. I was wrong. Oh, and there's 12, not 10.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I take it all back. It was an inspired calling. I forgot how sweet 6 year old kids can be. Yes, a busy handful but no guile in their being at all. I was wrong. Oh, and there's 12, not 10.
    The fun thing about kids that age is they have no filter, and thus zero compunction about airing the fun family secrets. My favorite was the child of a seriously holier-than-thou, über TBM-type of Mormon woman explaining how his parents only drink the OK type of wine. And in this case 'OK' did not refer to non-alcoholic.

Hilarity ensued...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The fun thing about kids that age is they have no filter, and thus zero compunction about airing the fun family secrets. My favorite was the child of a seriously holier-than-thou, über TBM-type of Mormon woman explaining how his parents only drink the OK type of wine. And in this case 'OK' did not refer to non-alcoholic.

Hilarity ensued...
    This. I was always good at asking really leading questions that have me a fun peek into the ward.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 01-05-2015 at 01:07 PM.

I've been in the bishopric for 10 years and really wouldn't mind a change.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You need to grow a Krystkowiakian goatee. That will get you released.

I have been in for 1 and a half and I really wouldn't mind a change

I teach the 11 year olds in primary and I'm a once a month EQ instructor (conference talks). I could do one of those callings for the rest of my life...and have made that fact known to my friends in the bishopric.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I serve in the elders quorum presidency...
    Just met with the Stake President last night and I am being released. Apparently they want to "give other Elders a chance to serve and grow." I will miss teaching and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I teach the 11 year olds in primary and I'm a once a month EQ instructor (conference talks). I could do one of those callings for the rest of my life...and have made that fact known to my friends in the bishopric.
    We just released our two EQ instructors at the first of the year. They had both taught for over 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Teaching EQ is one of the greatest callings in the church. Once a month is dream!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Sounds like you need to find some more active Mormons in your community, or it sounds like the church is dying in your community.
    Move back to Farmington or Highland/Alpine. You'll never be a bishop again.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Sounds like you need to find some more active Mormons in your community, or it sounds like the church is dying in your community.
    Move back to Farmington or Highland/Alpine. You'll never be a bishop again.
    The SP doesn't like to release bishops. He was called in fall 2006 and our current bishop has been in ever since. (I had been the first counselor to a prior bishop for about two years prior to this bishop being called.) We've had seven 2nd counselors during that time period and I am the eternal 1st counselor. I keep wondering when I finally will get released. I'm thinking maybe I will take up cussing over the pulpit.

--Yeats

The SP doesn't like to release bishops. He was called in fall 2006 and our current bishop has been in ever since. (I had been the first counselor to a prior bishop for about two years prior to this bishop being called.) We've had seven 2nd counselors during that time period and I am the eternal 1st counselor. I keep wondering when I finally will get released. I'm thinking maybe I will take up cussing over the pulpit.
    Wow, that is terrible for the bishop (and you, but especially him). Having been neither I can't say, but having talked to some people who have been both consensus seems to be that bishop is way more demanding than stake president. I think most bishops are pretty cooked after 5 years. That has to feel like running a long distance race where the distance is yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Wow, that is terrible for the bishop (and you, but especially him). Having been neither I can't say, but having talked to some people who have been both consensus seems to be that bishop is way more demanding than stake president. I think most bishops are pretty cooked after 5 years. That has to feel like running a long distance race where the distance is yet to be determined.
    For bishops I think the wear and tear is from dealing with all the personal messes that people find themselves in, either on their own or from external causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

For bishops I think the wear and tear is from dealing with all the personal messes that people find themselves in, either on their own or from external causes.

Exactly.

On that note, a favorite story of mine. I was an executive secretary, there were two warring families in the ward. They at one time or another had shared a common driveway. It was a constant battle with them, lawsuits and attempting to drag the bishop and ward into it. In fact at one time there was a lawsuit and one side had submitted the ward list as witnesses against the other.

After multiple disputes a wall was put up and the one guy put in a new driveway on the other side of his house, but there were still some flare-ups from time to time and they'd run to the bishop. He'd try to be a peacemaker, I'd always say to him he shouldn't be involved and should kick both of them out of his office.

One day he got word he was to be released the next Sunday. During the week I was at the church with him and they both came rushing in screaming about each other.

He stopped them and said, "I'll tell you what, come to church this Sunday and find out why I don't care."

I was crying with laughter. Best thing I had ever seen. I tell that to brand new bishops and they are appalled. I tell it to old bishops and they think it is the best thing they've heard.

I've been a Teacher's Quorum adviser for about three months now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite callings. Sure the mid week activities can be a bit obnoxious, but with another adviser and presidency member, there's plenty of coverage if something comes up. I teach once a month and the new curriculum gives me the flexibility that I like. Beats the slacks off of any Presidents of the Church of conference talk rehash that I had to stick to in Elder's Quorum.

One anecdote.....My old HT'er served in the stake presidency, and was our bishop before that. I asked him which is more taxing and he said serving in the Stake Presidency was more difficult........and it wasn't even close. Not the answer I was expecting

Exactly.

On that note, a favorite story of mine. I was an executive secretary, there were two warring families in the ward. They at one time or another had shared a common driveway. It was a constant battle with them, lawsuits and attempting to drag the bishop and ward into it. In fact at one time there was a lawsuit and one side had submitted the ward list as witnesses against the other.

After multiple disputes a wall was put up and the one guy put in a new driveway on the other side of his house, but there were still some flare-ups from time to time and they'd run to the bishop. He'd try to be a peacemaker, I'd always say to him he shouldn't be involved and should kick both of them out of his office.

One day he got word he was to be released the next Sunday. During the week I was at the church with him and they both came rushing in screaming about each other.

He stopped them and said, "I'll tell you what, come to church this Sunday and find out why I don't care."

I was crying with laughter. Best thing I had ever seen. I tell that to brand new bishops and they are appalled. I tell it to old bishops and they think it is the best thing they've heard.

I had one of my partners tell me that when you are a new bishop and someone moves into your ward you think "I wonder how they can help out?" And when you are an old Bishop and someone new moves into your ward you think "I wonder what their problems are?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I've been a Teacher's Quorum adviser for about three months now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite callings. Sure the mid week activities can be a bit obnoxious, but with another adviser and presidency member, there's plenty of coverage if something comes up. I teach once a month and the new curriculum gives me the flexibility that I like. Beats the slacks off of any Presidents of the Church of conference talk rehash that I had to stick to in Elder's Quorum.
    I have the wakeup, go get coffee, read the Sunday paper, go to lunch with my family, watch football calling.

How's this for a perk? One of my sunday school students, knowing that my daughters are all named after Beatles songs, gave me this lunchbox for xmas:

Attachment 1353
    Ahem, I think you got a knockoff. The words are all backwards (easy give away). Sorry to burst your bubble.

Exactly.

--Yeats

As a non-member with several close friends who are bishops, I am sure they would agree--marital issues, kid issues, and financial issues above all. The hard part would be knowing so much about everyone in the ward. One of the things I have trouble with (since I attend church with my family off and on) is how much everyone in the ward knows about the lives of everyone else. It has always made me a little uncomfortable. It wasnt like that in the protestant church I grew up in, although that may be because they dont all live in the same nighborhood, attend the same schools, and see and socialize each other all the time.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-15-2015 at 05:35 PM.

LA, just call a court on someone.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

How's this for a perk? One of my sunday school students, knowing that my daughters are all named after Beatles songs, gave me this lunchbox for xmas:

Attachment 1353
    I can't let this for without some guesses:

Rita
    Lucy
    Julia-X
    Prudence
    Eleanor
    Madonna
    Maggie Mae
    Martha-X
    Michelle
    Penny
    Pam
    Sadie-X
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    As a non-member with several close friends who are bishops, I am sure they would agree--marital issues, kid issues, and financial issues above all. The hard part would be knowing so much about everyone in the ward. One of the things I have trouble with (since I attend church with my family off and on) is how much everyone in the ward knows about the lives of everyone else. It has always made me a little uncomfortable. It wasnt like that in the protestant church I grew up in, although that may be because they dont all live in the same nighborhood, attend the same schools, and see and socialize each other all the time.
    That might be a Utah/Nevada/Arizona thing. I've been in the same ward 7 years and only have 1 LDS person I socialize with on a regular basis. There's still many in the ward I don't know at all, nor do I care to know. Like you, I value my privacy outside of church.

You almost got them all: Penny Lane, Lucy, and Molly Jones

If there is a 4th, she will be Rita. Then Mary. So many good names.
    You've got other options too:

Magill (nee Lil, nee Nancy)
    Joan/Rose/Valerie (killed by Maxwell)