Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of Church Callings

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    That might be a Utah/Nevada/Arizona thing. I've been in the same ward 7 years and only have 1 LDS person I socialize with on a regular basis. There's still many in the ward I don't know at all, nor do I care to know. Like you, I value my privacy outside of church.
    Agreed, this is more about the concentration of mormons in Utah than about the church, generally. I knew a TON about the people in my ward growing up in SLC. I know almost nothing about people in my current ward because I only see/think about them once a week.

Well, they're finally releasing us next week. Time for a new chapter!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Well, they're finally releasing us next week. Time for a new chapter!
    They're not throwing you into the bishop role are they? Hope you get a bit of a reprieve, you've had a good run.

For unwanted perspective, my current stake president went immediately from counselor for 5 years, to bishop for 5 years, into counselor in the stake presidency for 9 years and is how stake president. Presuming he goes the full run at SP that'll be 28 years. They'll stick him in the nursery when he's done and he'll run it as a council meeting.

Congrats on the new found freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    They're not throwing you into the bishop role are they? Hope you get a bit of a reprieve, you've had a good run.

For unwanted perspective, my current stake president went immediately from counselor for 5 years, to bishop for 5 years, into counselor in the stake presidency for 9 years and is how stake president. Presuming he goes the full run at SP that'll be 28 years. They'll stick him in the nursery when he's done and he'll run it as a council meeting.

Congrats on the new found freedom.
    You just made me tired. No, I'm not the new bishop, unless some sick surprise is afoot.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I have been a teacher's quorum advisor for the last 3-4 months or so and I like it. It seems to be a really good age, not too immature, not too cool.

I teach every other week. It has really stretched me for the better, but at the same time, I struggle. Each time I prepare a lesson, I feel like I have a great outline that will flow and make sense and get hte kids involved, and then, I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting what I want to across to the kids. Hopefully that will come in time. Meanwhile, I hope I don't bore the kids to death!

Pros/Cons of Church Callings

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I have been a teacher's quorum advisor for the last 3-4 months or so and I like it. It seems to be a really good age, not too immature, not too cool.

I teach every other week. It has really stretched me for the better, but at the same time, I struggle. Each time I prepare a lesson, I feel like I have a great outline that will flow and make sense and get hte kids involved, and then, I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting what I want to across to the kids. Hopefully that will come in time. Meanwhile, I hope I don't bore the kids to death!
    The most unexpectedly difficult calling I ever had was YM president. It's a tougher age to get through to than I thought it would be. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-25-2015 at 05:41 PM.

--Yeats

The most unexpectedly difficult calling I ever had was YM president. It's a tougher age to get through to than I thought it would be. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Well, now I have an interview with the SP later this week. Whatever. Someday I'll get to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Probably not this time.

--Yeats

Well, now I have an interview with the SP later this week. Whatever. Someday I'll get to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Probably not this time.
    Just drop a sympathetic Kate Kelly comment into the discussion.

I
    I can suggest a good wine or beer to take as a gift

I hope it is Stake PR!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Trying not to be condescending here, but, it's much appreciated (and admired) to those that put so much time and effort into something that benefits so many others......something I'm unwilling to do right now. In my best Bryan Mills voice, "good luck."
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just drop a sympathetic Kate Kelly comment into the discussion.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

LA in your visit give him a couple of suggestions of women that could do his job. Should steer it in the direction you want to go. : )

So LA stake young mens president or high council?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    So LA stake young mens president or high council?
    Neither of those. To my surprise and dismay I am sworn to secrecy until next Sunday.

--Yeats

Neither of those. To my surprise and dismay I am sworn to secrecy until next Sunday.
    Sounds like stake athletic director - wait for signing day to pass before announcing.

But you got released from the Bishopric today right?

surprise and dismay must mean bishop or stake clerk

Did Holmoe at least get a courtesy call?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    surprise and dismay must mean bishop or stake clerk
    No, I'm very happy with the calling but minutes before I was to be sustained a glitch came up. That's what I was surprised and dismayed about. So we wait a week. I'm not trying to be cute or mysterious, it's just a weird situation. But I get a week off with no responsibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    But you got released from the Bishopric today right?
    Yep, and for the first time ever I predicted the new bishop right. It is a great bishopric and he's a terrific man -- a former Special Forces guy with one of the sweetest dispositions I've ever known.

--Yeats

High Council. My third tour of duty there. I'll be sustained in Stake Conference in a couple of weeks. The SP had talked about asking me to be a counselor in our YSA ward bishopric, which I think would have been fun. But they decided on this instead. I'm quite fine with it. I'll try not to give boring talks.

--Yeats

High Council. My third tour of duty there. I'll be sustained in Stake Conference in a couple of weeks. The SP had talked about asking me to be a counselor in our YSA ward bishopric, which I think would have been fun. But they decided on this instead. I'm quite fine with it. I'll try not to give boring talks.

Congrats. Your life got much easier as you know. I share the same. Today my speaking RM companion didn't show. 18 minute talk turned into 30 with a large smattering of what I hope were funny stories that didn't have much to do with anything.

Enjoy!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Congrats LA. I know you will do good things for your stake.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Congrats LA. I know you will do good things for your stake.
    I'll consult with you on talk topics. I may even cite to you: "As my Seattle-based architect friend said on a Utah Utes sports message board last week...."

--Yeats

I'll consult with you on talk topics. I may even cite to you: "As my Seattle-based architect friend said on a Utah Utes sports message board last week...."
    Architect? Man, that one hurts. It sounds so Ayn Rand-ian. Call me Peter Keating.

And I will be happy to throw around some talk topics. Are you in your own to choose, or do they give you a general starting platform?

Here are your first three:
    - Euthyphro Dilemma as it applies to how we choose to fulfill our church duties (substituted in this case for 'moral duty'): Is doing the right thing for our fellow man considered to be 'good' specifically because God wills it, or does God will it specifically because it is 'good'? How does this change in light of new revelations? Ergo, if new revelation changes an existing paradigm does that mean that something which was previously 'wrong' is now 'right', and if so does that mean that moral rightness is completely arbitrary? Conversely if the morality of a paradigm does NOT change in light of a revelation related to that paradigm, then does that mean that reality is derived from a non-divine source of values? **Give thus talk when you are ready to get released**
    (Probably best to avoid discussing the priesthood/temple ban prior to 1978).

- Peter Abélard's discussion of seeking truth as it applies to religion and our individual spiritual journeys, esp. in the face of challenges to your faith.
    Mix in this quote:
    "The key to wisdom is this-
    Constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at truth."
    ~Peter Abélard, 1079 - 1142

- Use the following quote as it applies to accepting other people and forgiveness:
    "The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them"
    ~Thomas Merton, 1915-1968

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What the? That's my assigned topic for my sacrament meeting talk this week? How did you?
    You should do that. Use both sides of the argument to argue AGAINST...and then FOR... marriage equality.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I found the quote I was looking for. It was Max Frisch:

My German is really rusty. Maybe I'll try a translation tomorrow. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
    Google Translate:

That it is the sign of non-love, that sin of his neighbor, or even to make a man a finished picture to say: So and so are you, and you're done "to which Julika, as instructed, turn Stiller can accuse "When you love someone , then allowed to him every facility open and defies all memories just ready to be amazed, to always amazed at how different it is, how diverse and not just like that, not a finished portrait as you you do it from your Julika. "

I know, gibberish. But it was fun!

--Yeats

I am the high council adviser to a ward whose bishop is an actor who played the Savior in a church production (one of the really good ones, IMO). A great guy. Should be fun. Also the adviser to the stake Young Women presidency. I guess I am going to camp!

--Yeats