Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let Women Pray

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I can't remember all that I've read on this but it seems that the church was moving in a pretty good direction here and then had a major step back. I really think what happened was that the progressive crowd (Stephen L Richards, Hugh B Brown, J Reuben Clark to a degree, Henry Eyring, John Witsoe, etc) died out and then you had an extremely conservative fundamentalist group come in (JFieldingS, Harold B Lee, ETB to a different extent, BRM, etc). BKP is the last remnants of the hard liner group, and from anecdotes I hear his power is real. (I have stories I will not publicly share, but one person told me that "he sits in his office all day and contemplates his power as President of the 12"). I don't mean to disparage anybody here, but it seems clear there was a shift in tone after DOM passed on. Not that anybody is perfect, including them. This affected much more than just women's roles, and I believe most of them were doing what they felt was right.

My guess - and that's all it is - is that the edict forbidding praying and speaking was a result of a literal reading of Paul, and the shift in the 80s and 90s was a direct result of the Sonya Johnson ERA stuff. Quinn indicates that many of the 12 were in favor of the ERA initially but some strong willed and senior leaders shifted that tide.
    I am not a BKP fan, but that line really made me laugh. Somebody can read his mind? Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am not a BKP fan, but that line really made me laugh. Somebody can read his mind? Impressive.
    Hey, don't shoot me! I didn't say it!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Give me some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    :chuckle:

(I have stories I will not publicly share, but one person told me that "he sits in his office all day and contemplates his power as President of the 12"). I don't mean to disparage anybody here, but ....
    :eyeroll:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    :eyeroll:
    Are you daring me to post my true thoughts on the matter? I don't think that's in anybody's best interest.

Are you daring me to post my true thoughts on the matter? I don't think that's in anybody's best interest.
    Nope. There's a huge difference between a tweak and a dare. You have been well and truly tweaked.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Nope. There's a huge difference between a tweak and a dare. You have been well and truly tweaked.
    Well, if it's only a tweak, I will leave Mr. Hyde safely hidden. I get tired of that guy - he's really angry a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    I thought the pants protest was beyond stupid...but I'm sure thats just because I am some sort of swine.
    I heard this sentiment a lot while the pants protest was going on. I'm curious - for those who feel this way - is it that they went about it the wrong way, or is it the fact that they did it at all was stupid?

Let them pray in Conference, next thing we know they'll be asking for the priesthood:

http://ordainwomen.org/

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Let them pray in Conference, next thing we know they'll be asking for the priesthood:

Cool link. Gracias.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar

Looks like more people agitating faithfully...

http://agitatingfaithfully.org/home

Oh, no! Anything but that!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

This thread has been enjoyable Sully. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Da-da Da Da dahhh-ahhh! Screw the Y!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Looks rock solid. This is what PFS posted on Facebook:

Dear FB friends, My sources for this story are solid. Trust me. I am a professional journalist. I do not go into print with rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Looks rock solid. This is what PFS posted on Facebook:
    Yeah, I saw that. Pretty cool stuff.