Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The right wing paranoia thread.

The right wing paranoia thread.

I am creating this thread for those of us who are concerned about the power of our government and how it abuses or might abuse that power. My hope is that after some time others will be able to read the links in the thread and viewed collectively will paint a clear picture of the dangers our own government can and does pose to us. I welcome other like minded people (Garth, Chad, Codered, etc.) to post their own links.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...investigation/

This is a huge intrusion. It has not been shown who hacked her computer, but the implications are truly troubling.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...497_story.html

The potential uses of this are troubling.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...table/2428809/

A direct answer to your question, LA, about how he should have blown the whistle. EVERYBODY who hates on Snowden for doing what he did and how he did it, needs to watch this video and the transcript below in its entirety.
    Last edited by Dawminator; 06-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

I am actually more concerned about the undue influence that large corporations hold over government and the economy. Corps like Monsanto, Koch Industries, etc. Pollute, bully, and act in other unethical ways basically with impunity. They are large enough to essentially be impervious to mass consumer action. Boycotts and protests don't work. Lawsuits fail as they have such deep pockets. At least with governments there seems a greater possibility of voting people out.

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    I am actually more concerned about the undue influence that large corporations hold over government and the economy. Corps like Monsanto, Koch Industries, etc. Pollute, bully, and act in other unethical ways basically with impunity. They are large enough to essentially be impervious to mass consumer action. Boycotts and protests don't work. Lawsuits fail as they have such deep pockets. At least with governments there seems a greater possibility of voting people out.
    They go hand it hand. Its facism. Without people in government providing support that the corporations need, these corps dont have the power they do. I don't disagree with you, but you can't separate the two.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

An 8th grader in West Virginia could go to jail and it's all because he wore a pro-NRA t-shirt to school:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-year-in-jail/
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

This post from U-Ute is perfect for this thread and I took the liberty to copy and paste it hear. The articles he links to are important for everyone to read.

I knew there would eventually be something outside of the Utes Garth and I can agree on.

This NSA business is an extremely dangerous slipperly slope. I think it is something we should all be concerned about...

For those who are not upset with it due to the FISC review, it would appear that they are nothing more than a rubber stamp court in that they've only rejected 11 of the nearly 34,000 requests. Those are rejection rates that even the bank forclosure courts are jealous of. Its interesting to note when they started approving reviews of American citizens.

If that doesn't bother you because you aren't doing anything wrong, keep in mind that you are probably committing 3 felonies every day without even knowing it. Even if most of those are obscure and probably outdated laws, it doesn't change the fact that you are breaking them, and if you suddenly become someone that the government is interested in, they can use it against you.

Lastly, I think that this Wired article brings up an interesting point that without the ability to break the law, we don't have a way of deciding which laws we should get rid of.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Except that book, as I showed in that thread, is filled with errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Of course YOU would say that. You're part of the police state.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Of course YOU would say that. You're part of the police state.
    Haha yeah, that's me.

It's interesting reading all the stuff posted here and then going "weird, I've never seen or heard of that until now"

That was one link from his post I didn't click and it is honestly the one link I am the least worried about.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Haha yeah, that's me.

It's interesting reading all the stuff posted here and then going "weird, I've never seen or heard of that until now"
    I'm curious if you're speaking for yourself here, or if you're just making a general comment that could sum up what we may all be thinking? (Not a criticism, but an honest question.)

If you haven't heard of this until what's in the link in this thread, why is that? I will admit that I tend to go to sources that lean more to the right - I'm honest enough to admit my partisanship - but I think a lot of what we hear or don't hear is because of the sources we choose from which to get our news. Sources like Fox News that are more sympathetic to conservative views are going to spin the news to the right, or will stay on a story that puts the current administration in a negative light. Sources like MSNBC will do the opposite - spin the story left or ignore stories that puts the current administration in a negative light. Both networks took the opposite view when Bush was in office. But the problem is when the mainstream media claims to be neutral but it's reporting doesn't reflect that, so where can we go to get a truly unbiased source? I personally, don't think we can go anywhere to get unbiased reporting, which is why I go with the conservative sources.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I'm curious if you're speaking for yourself here, or if you're just making a general comment that could sum up what we may all be thinking? (Not a criticism, but an honest question.)

If you haven't heard of this until what's in the link in this thread, why is that? I will admit that I tend to go to sources that lean more to the right - I'm honest enough to admit my partisanship - but I think a lot of what we hear or don't hear is because of the sources we choose from which to get our news. Sources like Fox News that are more sympathetic to conservative views are going to spin the news to the right, or will stay on a story that puts the current administration in a negative light. Sources like MSNBC will do the opposite - spin the story left or ignore stories that puts the current administration in a negative light. Both networks took the opposite view when Bush was in office. But the problem is when the mainstream media claims to be neutral but it's reporting doesn't reflect that, so where can we go to get a truly unbiased source? I personally, don't think we can go anywhere to get unbiased reporting, which is why I go with the conservative sources.
    I'm more saying all these things that get reported as being easy and rampant in law enforcement aren't. I don't have access to facial recognition, massive federal databases or anything like that. I know how hard it is to just get a cell phone location when we have someone who's missing, and how inaccurate that data is.

As for the media, I know none of it is accurate. I see that every day. What you see on the 5PM news is not accurate to what actually occurred.

Saw the same thing when I worked around the football team at the U. Rarely what was reported was correct

I'm more saying all these things that get reported as being easy and rampant in law enforcement aren't. I don't have access to facial recognition, massive federal databases or anything like that. I know how hard it is to just get a cell phone location when we have someone who's missing, and how inaccurate that data is.

As for the media, I know none of it is accurate. I see that every day. What you see on the 5PM news is not accurate to what actually occurred.

Saw the same thing when I worked around the football team at the U. Rarely what was reported was correct
    Okay, I'm with you now. I would say that this is the fault of Hollywood and other story-telling groups. Folks watch CSI and think that the police have access to some awesome equipment. Yet another reason to hate the entertainment industry!

I'm still waiting for that technology that de-pixelates digital photographs, I bet that is freaking awesome for you.

It reminds me of the one smart thing PK has ever said

The media doesn't report the truth. It reports what people tell them.
    An important distinction to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It reminds me of the one smart thing PK has ever said

An important distinction to keep in mind.
    And often they don't even report what was told to them

And often they don't even report what was told to them
    Exactly. I worked up at the Legislature for a while, and I was shocked at how regularly the media just got things wrong. And it wasn't about any sort of political bias, it was pure incompetence and misunderstanding the issues and concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm still waiting for that technology that de-pixelates digital photographs, I bet that is freaking awesome for you.
    I'm still wanting our 20 minute DNA test and instant fingerprint recognition!

I'm still wanting our 20 minute DNA test and instant fingerprint recognition!
    For the record, whenever I think of you on the job I picture this:

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    For the record, whenever I think of you on the job I picture this:

It's appreciated, but I had to stop wearing the sunglasses, I kept running into things since I work at night.

It's appreciated, but I had to stop wearing the sunglasses, I kept running into things since I work at night.
    To keep the same effect, you can take them off instead...

"And that's why..."
    (Takes off sunglasses)
    "You always leave a note."

I think I'm mixing my shows up here.

Good to know that since you work at night, you aren't on one of the shakedown crews that line cars up, pull them over and tax them by writing tickets for any and all reasons as they go through certain intersections.

Jim Carey doing David Caruso doing Horatio Caine...

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Good to know that since you work at night, you aren't on one of the shakedown crews that line cars up, pull them over and tax them by writing tickets for any and all reasons as they go through certain intersections.
    I don't know any officers that do that.

The motors guys write tickets. That's their job. But contrary to popular belief there's no quota, guideline or expectation given out regarding tickets.

They're also really not revenue makers, the agency that writes the ticket gets about 33% of the actual fine, the rest goes all kinds of other places. And none of that money is returned to the police department directly.

Most of the motors I know enforce speed, stop signs and DUI's. Most write the speed for 5 over even if the laser said 15. Most of their enforcement assignments come from citizen complaints.

I may write one or two tickets a week. They're for things like running red lights, no insurance, expired registration and suspended licenses. I'll pull people over for other things (when time allows which in the summer is rare) but you're not likely to get a ticket from me or anyone else I work with.

Unless of course you consider sobriety checkpoints. Do they have those in Utah? They certainly have them here in San Diego.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

I don't know any officers that do that.

The motors guys write tickets. That's their job. But contrary to popular belief there's no quota, guideline or expectation given out regarding tickets.

They're also really not revenue makers, the agency that writes the ticket gets about 33% of the actual fine, the rest goes all kinds of other places. And none of that money is returned to the police department directly.

Most of the motors I know enforce speed, stop signs and DUI's. Most write the speed for 5 over even if the laser said 15. Most of their enforcement assignments come from citizen complaints.

I may write one or two tickets a week. They're for things like running red lights, no insurance, expired registration and suspended licenses. I'll pull people over for other things (when time allows which in the summer is rare) but you're not likely to get a ticket from me or anyone else I work with.
    We will just have to agree to disagree. Police officers are generating big time revenue for their respective cities. The cites need and use the money. It is a huge revenue generating tool (tax). You're drinking the police Kool-Aid that they share to the public because they don't want the general public to perceive officers as being revenue generators for the city.

West Temple and 8th South getting on the freeway. They are there every two to three weeks. They pull over everybody. You don't have a license plate on the front of your car? 30 bucks. You turned into the middle lane rather than the left lane when you made the turn onto West Temple? 80 bucks. The list goes on. They tax people as they leave the fair city.

Every time I raise it with any police officer the response is EXACTLY your response.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Police officers are generating big time revenue for their respective cities. The cites need and use the money. It is a huge revenue generating tool (tax). You're drinking the police Kool-Aid that they share to the public because they don't want the general public to perceive officers as being revenue generators for the city.

West Temple and 8th South getting on the freeway. They are there every two to three weeks. They pull over everybody. You don't have a license plate on the front of your car? 30 bucks. You turned into the middle lane rather than the left lane when you made the turn onto West Temple? 80 bucks. The list goes on. They tax people as they leave the fair city.

Every time I raise it with any police officer the response is EXACTLY your response.
    Because its a bogus argument.

We're fighting tooth and nail just to keep our staffing where it's is and avoid layoffs. This flow of money you think exists just isn't there, but continue believing your conspiracy theory, if I'd wanted to be liked I'd have been a firefighter.

And, the law is the law. If you don't like them, talk to the legislature who enacted them as that's who your issue is with

And PS, you can't get pulled over for not having a front license plate on your car, it's a secondary violation