Thread: Summer workouts and thoughts on recruiting.

Summer workouts and thoughts on recruiting.

The early word on workouts is Van Dyke is playing quite well. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody since Loveridge came right in and performed well. I don't know about other recruits, good or bad. Just passing along what I know.

On a different note, I was listening to David Locke this morning with PK. He was commenting on Shabazz Muhammad. Mohammad has been dropping as a draft prospect--mostly because he has a somewhat limited skill set. The buzz about him is he was always the highest ranked kid in his class. But Locke pointed out that he was always older than the kids his age. Muhammad looks like he is about 22. This really goes back to the Outliers book.

At any rate, I find it fascinating because, when Shabazz came to the Hunty, I thought he was a nice player, but clearly was not the best player of the Freshman class. OJ Mayo is a bit like this. He was very highly regarded. He has evolved into a nice NBA player through work and commitment, but he isn't even close to being the best player in his group.

I've had an opportunity to watch kids in little gyms who are projected to go in the first and second rounds. The NBA is a different world of basketball. Athleticism trumps everything else. I've seen some idiot basketball players who may get drafted in the first or second round this year. I'm not talking about having an average basketball IQ; I'm talking about having an absolutely piss poor shitty basketball IQ. Nerlens Noel is in this group and there are others. The idea is you must have the athleticism and hopefully you will learn the game. If you don't learn the game, you don't make it. If you know the game but don't have the athleticism, we don't give a shit. That's why teams take flyers on kids in the draft.

I had the priviledge of watching the Utes scrimmage last week. Jesse Wade (A junior) from Davis High was playing extensively with them. Also, our canadian (I forgot his name) is ripped!!! In addition he played well to boot. I expect him to have a great year.

Loveridge looked good as well. He was slimmer and he was more confident with his jumpshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The early word on workouts is Van Dyke is playing quite well. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody since Loveridge came right in and performed well. I don't know about other recruits, good or bad. Just passing along what I know.

On a different note, I was listening to David Locke this morning with PK. He was commenting on Shabazz Muhammad. Mohammad has been dropping as a draft prospect--mostly because he has a somewhat limited skill set. The buzz about him is he was always the highest ranked kid in his class. But Locke pointed out that he was always older than the kids his age. Muhammad looks like he is about 22. This really goes back to the Outliers book.

At any rate, I find it fascinating because, when Shabazz came to the Hunty, I thought he was a nice player, but clearly was not the best player of the Freshman class. OJ Mayo is a bit like this. He was very highly regarded. He has evolved into a nice NBA player through work and commitment, but he isn't even close to being the best player in his group.

I've had an opportunity to watch kids in little gyms who are projected to go in the first and second rounds. The NBA is a different world of basketball. Athleticism trumps everything else. I've seen some idiot basketball players who may get drafted in the first or second round this year. I'm not talking about having an average basketball IQ; I'm talking about having an absolutely piss poor shitty basketball IQ. Nerlens Noel is in this group and there are others. The idea is you must have the athleticism and hopefully you will learn the game. If you don't learn the game, you don't make it. If you know the game but don't have the athleticism, we don't give a shit. That's why teams take flyers on kids in the draft.
    I like this discussion. I wouldn't say it's athleticism above all, although your most extremely gifted athletes who can play will get a shot. I would say the NBA deals in extremes -- you've got to possess either extreme size (Mark Eaton), shot-making ability (Jeff Hornacek) or ball-handling/court vision (John Stockton) to get a shot. Guys like LeBron and Kobe were very athletic AND possessed extreme skills, and over time, both learned how to play the game while evolving their own. That's why they've won titles and will be in the HOF, while equally talented/athletic players like Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady remain a clear step below, for example.

Ultimately, I think getting off your own shot and making your fair share is the single-most valuable asset an NBA player can have. There are players of all shapes and sizes in the league that fit this description. They are the all-stars. Everything else you'll either never have (extreme size) or can never develop (ball handling). The game is so fast and played by such athletic freaks, you can get by on low hoops IQ as long as your instincts are pure and mostly reliable. You mention Noel as a low-hoops IQ, but freak shot-blockers like him are obviously doing something right, or at least within the college game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I like this discussion. I wouldn't say it's athleticism above all, although your most extremely gifted athletes who can play will get a shot. I would say the NBA deals in extremes -- you've got to possess either extreme size (Mark Eaton), shot-making ability (Jeff Hornacek) or ball-handling/court vision (John Stockton) to get a shot. Guys like LeBron and Kobe were very athletic AND possessed extreme skills, and over time, both learned how to play the game while evolving their own. That's why they've won titles and will be in the HOF, while equally talented/athletic players like Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady remain a clear step below, for example.

Ultimately, I think getting off your own shot and making your fair share is the single-most valuable asset an NBA player can have. There are players of all shapes and sizes in the league that fit this description. They are the all-stars. Everything else you'll either never have (extreme size) or can never develop (ball handling). The game is so fast and played by such athletic freaks, you can get by on low hoops IQ as long as your instincts are pure and mostly reliable. You mention Noel as a low-hoops IQ, but freak shot-blockers like him are obviously doing something right, or at least within the college game.
    Great thoughts except that Noel did not excel at the college game. Dumb kid who can't hit a free throw. But he is a tremendous shot blocker. Maybe the best shot blocker in the NBA already.

Pay attention to a kid called Ricardo Ledo. 4 high schools in 5 years. didn't get eligible to play his first year in college. Saw him play a game where he didn't play defense, yelled at his teammates for no reason, didn't pass, didn't move and held the ball until he took his shot. His team lost by 35 to a team that didn't have better talent. He is a damn team killer. But he can get his shot and make a bunch of them, so he will likely be drafted. If he is successful in the NBA, I am done watching that league.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyPriest View Post
    I had the priviledge of watching the Utes scrimmage last week. Jesse Wade (A junior) from Davis High was playing extensively with them. Also, our canadian (I forgot his name) is ripped!!! In addition he played well to boot. I expect him to have a great year.

Loveridge looked good as well. He was slimmer and he was more confident with his jumpshot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

Thanks for the updates!

What role do you see Van Dyke playing for Utah, both this year and in the long run? Will he be strictly a two guard? Does he have the all around game to be a solid starting two guard (not this year, maybe in two years after Wright graduates)? Or is he more of a role player/bench guy?

I see Van Dyke as the best scorer off the bench. A guy that can turn a game with some quick points when inserted against either tired starters or inferior back ups. He could help as a combo guard against pressing teams, where his height will be a plus.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    What role do you see Van Dyke playing for Utah, both this year and in the long run? Will he be strictly a two guard? Does he have the all around game to be a solid starting two guard (not this year, maybe in two years after Wright graduates)? Or is he more of a role player/bench guy?
    Two guard/swing man. Coming off the bench, getting good minutes, providing scoring. He needs to get stronger and quicker on the defensive end. He's going to be a fan favorite because the kid can score.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I think he is going to be a very good role player. A guy who can handle the ball a little bit, shoot like crazy, give our big guys some space by punishing double teams. Can he develop into a true point guard? maybe. But the way Larry is recruiting, it seems he wants to have a lot of guys who can handle the ball and iniate the offense from various positions. So I don't think he will ever be relied on to be our exclusive floor general.