Thread: Drones and the 2nd Amendment

Drones and the 2nd Amendment

Now that we know there are drones surveiling US airspace, and we know the information the NSA is collecting, is it time for the Supreme Court to rule on whether the people can own and operate Stinger Missiles in defending their data and privacy?

Makes me want a few more assault rifles.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I have listened to two recent NPR reports on the future use of local or commercial drones and how more and more cities are using surveillance cameras to watch people. They are, or are poised to be, billion dollar a year industries. So as much as we try, unless you live off the grid, your privacy is not very private anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I have listened to two recent NPR reports on the future use of local or commercial drones and how more and more cities are using surveillance cameras to watch people. They are, or are poised to be, billion dollar a year industries. So as much as we try, unless you live off the grid, your privacy is not very private anymore.
    When you walk down the street do you expect every law enforcement officer to clear the streets so they do not see you? If not, then what about a cop in a helicopter? If that's OK, what about surveillance cameras at intersections and highways. If those are OK, then what about surveillance cameras in high crime areas? And if all that is OK, then why not drones and satellites?

I believe the Supreme Court ruled that once you leave your house you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. And personally, I don't think there's much of a difference between a human and a surveillance camera or between cameras on a pole vs a drone.

There's no fighting it - once you leave your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Makes me want a few more assault rifles.

Why? Sedition and armed revolt against the duly authorized officials?

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Why? Sedition and armed revolt against the duly authorized officials?
    Pretty much. I would give then something interesting to watch
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    When you walk down the street do you expect every law enforcement officer to clear the streets so they do not see you? If not, then what about a cop in a helicopter? If that's OK, what about surveillance cameras at intersections and highways. If those are OK, then what about surveillance cameras in high crime areas? And if all that is OK, then why not drones and satellites?

I believe the Supreme Court ruled that once you leave your house you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. And personally, I don't think there's much of a difference between a human and a surveillance camera or between cameras on a pole vs a drone.

There's no fighting it - once you leave your home.
    You make a good point about no reasonable expectation of privacy outside our houses, but the entire NSA data mining ordeal has thrown that expectation out the window. These drones being a government eye in the sky is one more way government encroaches our lives and folks are starting to wake up to just how little privacy we're allowed.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Now this is getting interesting again. Under the Second Amendment may a private citizen own a drone carrying an operational firearm? I'd like to have one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There may already be some case law starting on this...

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-woman/275769/

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    There may already be some case law starting on this...

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-woman/275769/
    If someone told me that they were allowed to fly an RC helicopter with a camera next to one of the bedroom windows, I'd have one of my kids go across the street with their glove then I'd put a baseball in the guy's crotch if he was facing me or the back/side of his head depending which way he was facing.

"I was just tossing the ball to my kid and it got away from me."
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith