Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cafe Rio Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The key to understanding is this: One does not go to Cafe Rio for Mexican food. One goes there for Cafe Rio food. I actually like it, but it's no place to go if one is interested in, um, watching one's weight.
    As I said above, I am fine with that approach. I just think CR food sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    I get that. My tastes are pretty pedestrian. You can take the boy out of Sugarhouse, but you can't take Sugarhouse out of the boy!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I like Cafe Rio. For Mexican food I like the vendors in the Sears parking lot, El Chubasco in Park City, Red Iguana and Chungas

lol. No, you aren't. You are the Cafe-Rio-hater poster boy.

OLIVE. FREAKING. GARDEN.

Just own it, man. You had a good run but it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    lol. No, you aren't. You are the Cafe-Rio-hater poster boy.

OLIVE. FREAKING. GARDEN.

Just own it, man. You had a good run but it's over.
    OG and CR are both chains that nobody is going to call fine dining. I happen to like some of OG's food and detest CR's. Since we are talking about something that is entirely subjective, there is nothing inconsistent about that.

What I do find humorous and like to poje fun at are the not uncommon "cafe riogasms" that people around here have.

The key to understanding is this: One does not go to Cafe Rio for Mexican food. One goes there for Cafe Rio food. I actually like it, but it's no place to go if one is interested in, um, watching one's weight.
    Sure. I agree. Cafe Rio has the haziest claim on the title of Mexican food I can imagine. It's not bad but there are 100 other foods I'd rather blow 1,000 calories on than a sweet pork salad.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

If I'm going for cafe rio fast food stuff I'd rather go to Barbacoa, better food and I can get beer if I want

1000? Say it ain't so!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Da-da Da Da dahhh-ahhh! Screw the Y!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Not my pick. That was Steelblue's place. Then he didn't even eat with us. I took you to the fancy Japanese place. Steelblue is low class. I'm high society.
    Hey look. The only high class one of us in redding is the guy that treats all of his buddies to a fancy Diva cupcake at an upscale dessert shop. A DIVA, I say!!!

I have never eaten at Cafe Rio. My family in Utah, while I am visiting, has recommended it. But, based upon FM's oft stated dislike of the restaurant I have chosen not to subject my tastebuds to Cafe Rio food. Not yet, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGabers View Post
    1000? Say it ain't so!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Pork salad with everything is 1010. Sorry, Gabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    Pork salad with everything is 1010. Sorry, Gabs.
    To be fair, almost 600 of it comes from the green dressing. Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.

(and Gabers, PM me if you want the recipe. I think a few substitutions on the dressing could cut out most of the calories)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    To be fair, almost 600 of it comes from the green dressing. Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.

(and Gabers, PM me if you want the recipe. I think a few substitutions on the dressing could cut out most of the calories)
    Sure, but that's not how most people eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.
    Killjoy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

In the end I think that just proves you can do far better

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that Cafe Rio has going for it, is you can actually see inside the kitchen as your food is being prepared. After watching several episodes of "Restaurant Impossible", I take great comfort in this.

As a side note, I just realized I may have the best avatar for this thread.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned that Cafe Rio has going for it, is you can actually see inside the kitchen as your food is being prepared. After watching several episodes of "Restaurant Impossible", I take great comfort in this.

As a side note, I just realized I may have the best avatar for this thread.
    You can see your food at the taco cart too. I've seen where they 'clean' said carts...I'll leave it at that.

And while you can see it, you just see it assembled. You don't see the prep, storage or cleaning.

But that's neither here or there, SL Valley Health Department publishes restaurant inspections online.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You can see your food at the taco cart too. I've seen where they 'clean' said carts...I'll leave it at that.

And while you can see it, you just see it assembled. You don't see the prep, storage or cleaning.

But that's neither here or there, SL Valley Health Department publishes restaurant inspections online.
    Thanks, now you've given me paranoia about taco carts too.
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

In spite of my oft stated disdain for what I call Utah-Mex, I do concur that good Mexican food can be found here. Chunga's and Red Iguana are both decent. Lots of good little holes in the wall in West Valley and the west side of SLC. One place I really like that I can't remember the name of is just off of I-15 maybe around 39th or so ... there is a painting of Bart Simpson on the outside. Great tacos.

A bit harder to find in the UC but you've got Diego's in Provo. El Mexiquense in AF is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I live in CO. While driving this weekend I saw that one of the buildings going up nearby will be a Cafe Rio, the first I've seen since moving here. Boooo! I guess the silver lining is that it may draw crowds away from the good places I will eat in. The Denver area is full of good taco stands and even has a hip, expensive taco stand for foodies.

FM is correct about Cafe Rio and their sugar burritos. His opinion on this is in fact truth.

I haven't seen a mention of Beto's here. If you want fast food, Beto's is better and cheaper than Cafe Rio.
    And far more likely to give you food poisoning!

FM is correct about Cafe Rio and their sugar burritos. His opinion on this is in fact truth.
    This is what I've always said. I think CR is fine for most of their stuff, but anything with their "signature" marinated pork is horrible. I tried it once and thought that the employee had thought I had ordered a Skittles burrito. If that's what you really want, you might as well just save a few bucks and throw a tortilla in your microwave with some lettuce, beans, and a bag of Skittles and you'll have the same thing.

The best mexican can be found just off the 2600s exit in bountiful. Turn west off the freeway, then take a right. Its in the same parking lot as denny's - called Lorenas.

Betos is a close second.

The burrito carts outside Sears on 800s are third

Had Cafe Rio this weekend for the first time probably 6 months. Got the pork salad... It's no Chipotle.

Wish I didn't have to drive all the way to Bountiful to get Chipotle, but so help me, I'll do it if I have to.

Fake Mexican food heirarchy:
    Chipotle>>>>Barbacoa>Cafe Rio>Costa Vida

You guys are really winning me over on this board!

I haven't seen a mention of Beto's here. If you want fast food, Beto's is better and cheaper than Cafe Rio.
    Or is it Rancherito's, or Mezquite Grill...there are very few places, if any, left with the Beto's name, they've sold most off

There's only a couple I'll go to, the others the kitchen scared me when they called us for something

Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    Had Cafe Rio this weekend for the first time probably 6 months. Got the pork salad... It's no Chipotle.

Wish I didn't have to drive all the way to Bountiful to get Chipotle, but so help me, I'll do it if I have to.

Fake Mexican food heirarchy:
    Chipotle>>>>Barbacoa>Cafe Rio>Costa Vida
    Chipotle was THE most overrated food I've ever had. I had a friend hype it like this to several of us, all of us went at her urging, none of us liked it.

I have one 2 blocks from me...but Lonestar Taqueria is only 7, it wins

I like Cafe Rio.

--Yeats

You guys are really winning me over on this board!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I like Cafe Rio.
    This explains a lot...

Does your wife know of your lust?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Chipotle was THE most overrated food I've ever had. I had a friend hype it like this to several of us, all of us went at her urging, none of us liked it.

I have one 2 blocks from me...but Lonestar Taqueria is only 7, it wins
    Lonestar is fantastic.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com