Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cafe Rio Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll be honest, when I have had my whole family together in Salt Lake and it's been movie or game night, we have been known to send one of us down to the Cafe Rio on 400 South to pick up a bunch of food (including the much-reviled pork salad) and then to pig out on it all while we play games or watch the movie. And we enjoy it. I hereby accept my classification as a food troglodyte. We also really like the Red Iguana but (sorry!) do not consider it a really great Mexican food treat and usually won't wait in line for it.
    That's the spirit, LAU. Post it with pride. If FMCoug can admit to liking Olive Garden and if others can admit to liking Taco Bell, then you can certainly admit to liking Cafe Rio.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I know I am just kind of jumping in here.........

But there is one reason and one reason only that i keep going back to the centerville taco bell: to write a book.

I have had so many experiences there over the years that would lead a normal person to never go back. but me? I keep going just to see what theyll do next.

The highlights so far:

-Placed my order, waited for about 80 minutes (no typo) in line to get to the window to pay/get my food. Once at the window, I anticipated that the worker would sincerely apologize for my 1 hr+ wait. Nope. First words out of his mouth were (shouting) "ARE YOU GOING TO EVEN GET YOUR FOOD, OR ARE YOU JUST GOING TO DRIVE AWAY!!!!!?!?!?! IM SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-was welcomed to the drive thru and told that they were out of soft shells, hard shells, chicken, steak, shredded beef, cheese, and lettuce. Honestly. What on planet earth am I supposed to order in that case?

-had an EXTREMELY obese drive thru worker tell me (completely out of the blue) that he had a tattoo on his abdomen and showed me by lifting up his shirt.

I haven't even scratched the surface either.
    I had a similar experience as your first one at the TB in Layton near the Walmart. I waited in line for EVER. I ordered. Pulled forward. A couple of cars got in line behind me. I was blocked in. I then waited for 25-ish minutes. I finally got to the window., They handed my my drink. Finally, after about ten minutes, they came out and handed the car in front of me a bag. I was free. I waited another few minutes. nobody came to the window. Finally I knocked on the drive through window. Some kid looked at the window and went back to chatting with some kids at the inside counter. I knocked again. He finally came over to the window to see what the noise was. I knocked again, pointed to my the 32 ounce drink that I was yet to pay for held it up and dropped it. He looked confused. I drove away.

I hate Taco Bell.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll be honest, when I have had my whole family together in Salt Lake and it's been movie or game night, we have been known to send one of us down to the Cafe Rio on 400 South to pick up a bunch of food (including the much-reviled pork salad) and then to pig out on it all while we play games or watch the movie. And we enjoy it. I hereby accept my classification as a food troglodyte. We also really like the Red Iguana but (sorry!) do not consider it a really great Mexican food treat and usually won't wait in line for it.
    I never get anything at Red Iguana but the mole. Or the dishes with Mole. The stuffed pork loin with mole is fantastic. So is "puntas de filete" with mole.

I've never had a taco or burrito or enchilada there. IMO, there is one reason and one reason only to go to Red Iguana: Mole.

I know Red Iguana is famous for its mole, but I don't like mole (just like I don't like Cafe Rio sweet pork). I tried RI's, and still didn't like it. It's other options are still fantastic, probably my favorite Mexican or faux-Mexican in Utah.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That's the spirit, LAU. Post it with pride. If FMCoug can admit to liking Olive Garden and if others can admit to liking Taco Bell, then you can certainly admit to liking Cafe Rio.
    There are people that don't like T Bell?

I like the Cafe Rio. I'm divorced and have my kids one night a week; 80% of the time that's where they want to go that night. I'm a pretty healthy eater so I usually order their grilled chicken burrito on wheat tortilla, not enchilada style. Anyone know how many calories there are in a Cafe Rio pork salad with house dressing? My guess is 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I like the Cafe Rio. I'm divorced and have my kids one night a week; 80% of the time that's where they want to go that night. I'm a pretty healthy eater so I usually order their grilled chicken burrito on wheat tortilla, not enchilada style. Anyone know how many calories there are in a Cafe Rio pork salad with house dressing? My guess is 2500.

http://www.caferio.com/uploads/files...ation_2012.pdf

There's no way they only put 2 oz of pork in each salad. So more acturately- 420+150+140+130(x2)+120+130+20+50+30= 1320. IF they only put 2 oz of pork in there = 1190.

420 cals for a White Tortilla. WOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    There are people that don't like T Bell?
    I know, right?

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I know, right?
    Communists, I guess.

café rio is good for "fast food" but my favorite Mexican food is chubby's in rose park and red iguana

Quote Originally Posted by bestellen View Post
    I find it tasty, however.
    Your tongue is broken.