Thread: Priesthood Blessings

Priesthood Blessings

This sunday a comrade in elder's quorum made a comment that I cannot get out of my head. We had gotten off topic (I don't remember what the topic was but I know we were off it) and were discussing how to listen to the Spirit during a priesthood blessing. People were making comments on how they proceed and whether or not the Spirit directs them to "heal" the person from their ailment. The teacher said that he generally says a prayer on the way to the blessing and say, "Lord, I going to give a blessing and I am going to bless that the person be healed, if that is not what you want, let me know."

This insightful elder raised his hand and said, paraphrasing, "If the voice of the Spirit is revelation, and we are entitled to personal revelation, why do we need a third party (the person giving the blessing) to receive revelation for us on whether or not we are going to be healed? Shouldn't we receive that revelation directly and not thru another person?"

I haven't been able to get that thought out of my head. What would you do if you went to give a blessing and the person said, "God has told me I will be cured of cancer and your are going to do it!"? That is a lot of pressure. Giving priesthood blessings have been such a crapshoot for me. There are times when I feel the Spirit but most times I am an empty vessel for words. So why do we need a intermediary when it comes to revelation on healing?

This is already a classic talk on the subject of healings:

Healing the Sick

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    This sunday a comrade in elder's quorum made a comment that I cannot get out of my head. We had gotten off topic (I don't remember what the topic was but I know we were off it) and were discussing how to listen to the Spirit during a priesthood blessing. People were making comments on how they proceed and whether or not the Spirit directs them to "heal" the person from their ailment. The teacher said that he generally says a prayer on the way to the blessing and say, "Lord, I going to give a blessing and I am going to bless that the person be healed, if that is not what you want, let me know."

This insightful elder raised his hand and said, paraphrasing, "If the voice of the Spirit is revelation, and we are entitled to personal revelation, why do we need a third party (the person giving the blessing) to receive revelation for us on whether or not we are going to be healed? Shouldn't we receive that revelation directly and not thru another person?"

I haven't been able to get that thought out of my head. What would you do if you went to give a blessing and the person said, "God has told me I will be cured of cancer and your are going to do it!"? That is a lot of pressure. Giving priesthood blessings have been such a crapshoot for me. There are times when I feel the Spirit but most times I am an empty vessel for words. So why do we need a intermediary when it comes to revelation on healing?
    There are a lot of parts and answers to your question, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of time, but a couple of things to think about, of course assuming as a believer...:

1. Revelation is only a part of a priesthood blessing, and while an important part it isn't the only part. It isn't necessarily the 'revelation' that does the healing.
    2. Priesthood blessings invoke faith not only on the recipient but also on the giver of the blessing, both leading up to, during and after a blessing. Why do you think his apostles had to pray and fast for certain types of blessings?
    3. God obviously has the power and ability to do what he pleases with our without us, but has given it to people to learn, etc. Goes back to that whole notion of 'Maybe Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham...' thing.
    4. An important aspect of priesthood that we don't talk about a lot is the call to serve others with it. It is a notion of not only a dependence on God, but a dependence on people around you.
    5. We give blessings as a opportunity to align our will with God's and to learn about what exactly that is.

Sorry would love to chat more about this, but a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is already a classic talk on the subject of healings:

Healing the Sick
    It is interesti g that Oaks says that if faith is sufficient and the Lord wills it, then the individual will be healed or blessed whether or not the individual giving the blessing says those specific words. It really seems that according to Oaks that the words of the blessing are basically superfluous as it is faith, the will of God, and the priesthood that really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    There are a lot of parts and answers to your question, and unfortunately I don't have a lot of time, but a couple of things to think about, of course assuming as a believer...:

1. Revelation is only a part of a priesthood blessing, and while an important part it isn't the only part. It isn't necessarily the 'revelation' that does the healing.
    2. Priesthood blessings invoke faith not only on the recipient but also on the giver of the blessing, both leading up to, during and after a blessing. Why do you think his apostles had to pray and fast for certain types of blessings?
    3. God obviously has the power and ability to do what he pleases with our without us, but has given it to people to learn, etc. Goes back to that whole notion of 'Maybe Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham...' thing.
    4. An important aspect of priesthood that we don't talk about a lot is the call to serve others with it. It is a notion of not only a dependence on God, but a dependence on people around you.
    5. We give blessings as a opportunity to align our will with God's and to learn about what exactly that is.

Sorry would love to chat more about this, but a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.
    Great thoughts Rocker. It appears that Oaks' talk agrees with many of your points.

This. "Be ye doers of the word, not hearers only." Our God is one of action, with mankind looking after and caring for one another in preparation for a celestial community of full consecration. God has also blessed us with ways to draw near to his spirit- one of which is to stand in proxy for him, petition him to speak his mind, and bless one another.

Someone told me about this David Bednar talk that discusses the very interesting concept of having the faith not to be healed. I just now read it; it's good:

http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/articl...19-18?lang=eng

Elder Neal A. Maxwell was a beloved disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. He served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for 23 years, from 1981 to 2004. The spiritual power of his teachings and his example of faithful discipleship blessed and continue to bless in marvelous ways the members of the Savior’s restored Church and the people of the world.

In October of 1997, Sister Bednar and I hosted Elder and Sister Maxwell at Brigham Young University–Idaho. Elder Maxwell was to speak to the students, staff, and faculty in a devotional assembly. Everyone on the campus eagerly anticipated his visit to the university and earnestly prepared to receive his message.

Earlier in that same year, Elder Maxwell underwent 46 days and nights of debilitating chemotherapy for leukemia. Shortly after completing his treatments and being released from the hospital, he spoke briefly in the April general conference of the Church. His rehabilitation and continued therapy progressed positively through the spring and summer months, but Elder Maxwell’s physical strength and stamina were nonetheless limited when he traveled to Rexburg. After greeting Elder and Sister Maxwell at the airport, Susan and I drove them to our home for rest and a light lunch before the devotional.

During the course of our conversations that day, I asked Elder Maxwell what lessons he had learned through his illness. I will remember always the precise and penetrating answer he gave. “Dave,” he said, “I have learned that not shrinking is more important than surviving.”
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-28-2013 at 10:08 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    It is interesti g that Oaks says that if faith is sufficient and the Lord wills it, then the individual will be healed or blessed whether or not the individual giving the blessing says those specific words. It really seems that according to Oaks that the words of the blessing are basically superfluous as it is faith, the will of God, and the priesthood that really matter.
    I have to admit that particular part of the talk bothered me a bit, although I think I get what he means and why he said it. Many people are fearful of what to say and receiving that inspiration, so I think he is saying, "Don't worry the Lord will do what he needs to do even if you mess up..." sort of a thing. However, I think those words, if truly dictated by the spirit can be amazing and comforting to people.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Someone told me about this David Bednar talk that discusses the very interesting concept having the faith not to be healed. I just now read it; it's good:

http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/articl...19-18?lang=eng

Thank you for posting that. What a remarkable talk. Some great principles! It is better to not shrink than to survive and sometimes we must have the knowledge the he can heal us, but we must have faith not to be healed.

I have to admit that particular part of the talk bothered me a bit, although I think I get what he means and why he said it. Many people are fearful of what to say and receiving that inspiration, so I think he is saying, "Don't worry the Lord will do what he needs to do even if you mess up..." sort of a thing. However, I think those words, if truly dictated by the spirit can be amazing and comforting to people.
    In his latest book (I think it's called Life Lessons Learned), he addresses this concept in the very first chapter. When he was young, his father became quite ill and received several priesthood blessings including from members if the Q12 who blessed him to be healed. Instead, he passed away shortly after. Elder Oaks concludes that no matter how many times an individual asks the faithful for blessings, they will not come to pass unless it is the Lord's will.

A lot of us are either sending kids away to college, or have previously sent kids away on missions or school. As active LDS, I often struggle with the unwritten rules of church, or the cultural parts of the church, but, the Gospel itself I generally enjoy. As such, I have a testimony of father's blessings. My daughter is a great kid and has never given me a reason to worry. She did well in school and also did well in sports receiving a scholarship to play at a D1 university.....but at a school that's well outside the mainstream of other LDS college students. I wouldn't be surprised if her school of 25,000 students only has a hundred or fewer LDS kids. Having said that, I'd really like to be in the right mindset as I give her a blessing, and am asking for advice and counsel from those that have been or are in a similar circumstance. Beyond fast and prayer, is there anything I can do to make my fathers blessing more meaningful to her? I see her college experience as both a huge blessing/oppty and a huge challenge to stay principled, and just want my blessing to be helpful to her.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

mUUser, all I can suggest (and you're probably already doing this) is to think a lot about your daughter in addition to the prayer and fasting. Maybe have some spontaneous conversations with her, prior to the blessing, about how she's feeling, what she wants out of life and her college experience. Everybody's different, but I find that listening to music (some sacred, some not) opens me up to inspiration and good ideas. A talk with my wife does the same thing. She has great insight into our kids. It's a mom thing, I think, regardless of who is the primary caregiver. Good luck! I'm impressed by your daughter's athletic success. My kids have mostly inherited my lack of fast-twitch muscle fibers.

--Yeats

Recently, my HS Junior received his Patriarchal Blessing. Two of my three kids chose to have a PB, and both have been beautiful expressions of love . I cherish these blessings. I can’t help myself and cry like a teenage girl at a sappy Romcom. Not only that, as I look back on my own PB, as well as my wife’s, I can def see the hand of God working through the patriarch. This is an LDS tradition that I absolutely love.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.