Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring ball!!!

Spring ball!!!

Just found this on ESPN's PAC-12 Blog:

Utah spring ball will start March 19th and the Spring game will be APRIL 20TH.

I am pumped. Spring football starts in less than ONE MONTH. Did I say I was PUMPED?

I hope Whitt allows us into practice like last year and lets us know soon enough so I can get time off work to be there. It is crazy how much I love football.

I'm really interested to see what Erickson and the offense will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    I'm really interested to see what Erickson and the offense will be doing.
    Me too. I'm excited to see how Wilson has progressed since the end of last year. It will be exciting to see if he can make more than one read, if his throwing motion is better, how much the WR's have grown, how Schultz will do, I want to see what type of game Cox can bring, who will be on the OL/DL, how the LB'ers are making their reads and if they are beginning to react and not think, if Blechen plays at LB more, how our young DB's are progressing, which RB's get the majority of the reps, see how quickly DE is getting plays called in, etc, etc, etc.

I'm pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Just found this on ESPN's PAC-12 Blog:

Utah spring ball will start March 19th and the Spring game will be APRIL 20TH.

I am pumped. Spring football starts in less than ONE MONTH. Did I say I was PUMPED?

I hope Whitt allows us into practice like last year and lets us know soon enough so I can get time off work to be there. It is crazy how much I love football.

As I understand, all outdoor spring practices will be open to the public.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    As I understand, all outdoor spring practices will be open to the public.
    Excellent. Thanks.

Now, just need to find out the dates/times so I can schedule those times off.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Excellent. Thanks.

Now, just need to find out the dates/times so I can schedule those times off.
    Will the spring game be on the p12 network?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Will the spring game be on the p12 network?
    Yes. Every teams game will be televised.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Serious? That is awesome. I hope our stands are packed this year. It is going to be great to see Wilson, Charlie Brown and Cox slinging the ball all over the field.

If our offense dominates our defense, I'll be pumped for this fall.

DE averaged 28 pts a loss his last year in ASU. If we average 28 pts a game, we will have at least 8 wins with Whitt's defense.

Attendance has increased every season at the spring games, I doubt we'll get to the SEC level of attendance any time soon.

I'd be interested in seeing what the average is for the PAC schools for their Spring Games.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

This is awesome for even in state folks. I attended the spring game three years in a row. Then, our son decided he liked baseball and managed to have a game on that Saturday the last three years. If that occurs again this year, I can still see the game.

But everyone that can attend this should go. It was a blast, and grew every year that I went (and likely grew even more the subsequent three years). The school is intent on making this a big event, ramping up the tailgating competition, advertising, etc. They open the concession stands, the Red Zone store on the South-West side, and it is just generally a good time (and they have been blessed with good weather for the days I went).
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    This is awesome for even in state folks. I attended the spring game three years in a row. Then, our son decided he liked baseball and managed to have a game on that Saturday the last three years. If that occurs again this year, I can still see the game.

But everyone that can attend this should go. It was a blast, and grew every year that I went (and likely grew even more the subsequent three years). The school is intent on making this a big event, ramping up the tailgating competition, advertising, etc. They open the concession stands, the Red Zone store on the South-West side, and it is just generally a good time (and they have been blessed with good weather for the days I went).
    Amen to this. The spring game is always my first sunburn of the year. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Attendance has increased every season at the spring games, I doubt we'll get to the SEC level of attendance any time soon.

I'd be interested in seeing what the average is for the PAC schools for their Spring Games.
    To be fair, Big Ten and Big XII schools with much bigger population bases and more alumni than Utah don't get to SEC levels of attendance.

But yeah, with how hard it is to get season tickets, the spring game is a fantastic opportunity for families and folks who can't afford tickets otherwise to spend an afternoon at the stadium. And like it's been mentioned in this thread, the U has steadily improved the number of amenities/activities to complement the spring game.

I want to know who the 5 OL are going to be. Should be interesting to see if Pouvave and Poutasi lock up the Tackle spots, does Lozano get moved to Guard.

We once attended the Cal spring game, completely by accident since we were there for a gymnastics post season event. I counted about 700 people there. I was shocked.

We also once attended Nebraska's spring game while at gymnastics nationals. Tickets were 15.00 and there were 75,000 people there. It was pretty amazing.

Sadly, this will be another year where we miss the Utah Spring game because of gymnastics. Thank God for the PAC12 network!!

I am looking forward to going to as many of the spring practices and scrimmages as possible. I am glad they are open to the public. It gives me that football fix in between a long off season. Go Utes!

The hiring of DE certainly lends a new excitement to the spring game. Based on the weather so far this year, I just hope there's no snow on the ground.

What day does spring ball start?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    It's already in full swing. Pitchers and catchers reported 2 weeks ago and position players last week.
    Last edited by GarthUte; 02-26-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by umanami View Post
    I am looking forward to going to as many of the spring practices and scrimmages as possible. I am glad they are open to the public. It gives me that football fix in between a long off season. Go Utes!
    I agree. The scrimmages are fun to attend as well as the Spring Game. Let's hope the snow is off the ground by the time practice starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    March 19, I think
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by LadyUte View Post
    I agree. The scrimmages are fun to attend as well as the Spring Game. Let's hope the snow is off the ground by the time practice starts.
    Just wish the U would quit putting the Spring Game on the same weekend as gymnastics nationals and the same day as the Salt Lake Marathon.

Are the nationals here this year? If not it's really not that big of a deal, but the marathon is a pain the ass.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Are the nationals here this year? If not it's really not that big of a deal, but the marathon is a pain the ass.
    No it's not. But Utah takes 200 (and this year closer to 500 as they're at UCLA) fans each year, many of whom are large supporters of the University.

Seems silly to schedule the game on that weekend (which is always the marathon as well) when the only thing that's flexible is the spring football schedule.

March 19, I think
    Dang, I wanted it to be next week. I have a user conference up in SLC all week and the last two years during the same conference I was able to sneak up to a couple of practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No it's not. But Utah takes 200 (and this year closer to 500 as they're at UCLA) fans each year, many of whom are large supporters of the University.

Seems silly to schedule the game on that weekend (which is always the marathon as well) when the only thing that's flexible is the spring football schedule.
    I wish they could do National's at the Hunty. I know they can't because of they can't have a raised floor. But, it would be amazing.

And it is silly that they can't move the date for those people who like to attend Nationals. And the marathon really is a pain.

Agreed about the Marathon. It just needs to go away. Or at least going to a different date.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    Agreed about the Marathon. It just needs to go away. Or at least going to a different date.
    As someone who has to work traffic control for it, it's not going away or changing dates. It will always be the third Saturday in April. (Which is also nationals) the U should just adjust spring ball

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    It's already in full swing. Pitchers and catchers reported 2 weeks ago and position players last week.
    LOL. Yes it has. The Dodgers have me excited this year.