Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Utah

Mountain biked some trails on Gooseberry Mesa today (east of Hurricane, south of Zion). i was planning to do this with my brother, but he shattered his patella in a motorcycle accident in September. So I went by myself. But I ended up having a lot of company, a trail running race was happening at the same time. I got to say good morning to a couple of hundred people as we scooted by each other on the trail (going opposite directions).

What an amazing area. Lots of technical sections of "slick rock", but slightly rougher composition from Moab sandstone. I had to dismount and walk up or down many sections, but also surprised myself by "cleaning" some pretty gnarly sections.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-15-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Looks awesome!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Looks awesome!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I've only mountain-biked that place once. It kicked my butt. kudos to you.
    While I was eating lunch that day, I saw a guy dump his bike while trying to clear a crack/crevasse. The bike tumbled dozens (hundreds?) of feet to the bottom of the mesa (north-westish side). I was glad the guy was okay because it felt good to laugh at his stupid move. Come to find out, he was a guide for a bunch of foreign tourists. Luckily, there was a second guide.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Awesome pics. I loved living down there.

I need to find a way to spend 4 months a year in southern Utah, 4 in the NW and 4 in SLC.

Just returned from a nice trip to Bryce Canyon. For whatever reason, we had not been there in about 15 years although we have visited Zion almost every year. As we approached Zion, it was clear that it was going to be packed so we just drove straight through. Had 3 great days of hiking and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Just returned from a nice trip to Bryce Canyon. For whatever reason, we had not been there in about 15 years although we have visited Zion almost every year. As we approached Zion, it was clear that it was going to be packed so we just drove straight through. Had 3 great days of hiking and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
    I love Bryce, it's my favorite NP in Utah. I want to try and get down there during the winter. I bet it is a whole different experience.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I love Bryce, it's my favorite NP in Utah. I want to try and get down there during the winter. I bet it is a whole different experience.
    It is kind of trippy to see the place in snow.
    I have only been a couple of times in the winter - Just as a detour while passing through.
    It gets pretty cold in Bryce in the winter.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We talked about doing that, but concluded that the descents and assents would be pretty tough in snow and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We used to have property in Boulder Utah. Highway 12 between Bryce and Torrey is one of the most amazing roads I've ever been on.

One of my fondest memories is when we went on top of the Hog's Back (that skinny, winding road above Calf Creek Falls) one night when it was clear and there was no moon. Being able to have a 360-degree-horizon-to-horizon-view of the stars was absolutely stunning.