Thread: Faces of the Revolutionary War

Faces of the Revolutionary War

While on facebook, I came across this link, which took me to a site on the Time site. It has daguerreotypes of 13 men who were veterans of the Revolutionary War, beneath each is a little history of who the man was and what his role in the war was. Learning a bit about each of those men made me realize that I really did nothing of significance as a teenager. I realize that what they did as teens made it possible for me to not have to do anything important as a teen, but that doesn't assuage my thoughts that I accomplished absolutely nothing.

I only wish I had found this before today, but I guess it's still somewhat Independence Day weekend. Very, very cool.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    While on facebook, I came across this link, which took me to a site on the Time site. It has daguerreotypes of 13 men who were veterans of the Revolutionary War, beneath each is a little history of who the man was and what his role in the war was. Learning a bit about each of those men made me realize that I really did nothing of significance as a teenager. I realize that what they did as teens made it possible for me to not have to do anything important as a teen, but that doesn't assuage my thoughts that I accomplished absolutely nothing.

I only wish I had found this before today, but I guess it's still somewhat Independence Day weekend. Very, very cool.
    Cool indeed.

One of the pictures quotes a guy saying about the British surrender at Yorktown, "Washington ordered that there should be no laughing at the British; said it was bad enough to surrender without being insulted. The army came out with guns clubbed on their backs. (emphasis added) " I wonder what that means. I googled around without success

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    I believe "guns clubbed on their backs" means they carried them with the barrels pointed down and the stocks resting on their shoulders. Like carrying a club.