Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You cant possibly be serious...........
    Neither are you if you could remember Marshall Henderson but omit Carlon Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    he is serious chris kupets tore it up at vanguard. You know vanguard. He averaged 14.3 ppg with a high of 38 and you can't forget antonio dimaria averaging 8.1 ppg at emporia state.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Neither are you if you could remember Marshall Henderson but omit Carlon Brown.
    Are you referring to Carlon "that guy in the 13th row would be a great target for this next pass" Brown? Meh. Solid player who looks much better when he is surrounded by loads of talent, but couldn't lead a thirsty man to water 20 yards away. Yet again, my point is that I do not weep over role players, even if they are glorified role players.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Are you referring to Carlon "that guy in the 13th row would be a great target for this next pass" Brown? Meh. Solid player who looks much better when he is surrounded by loads of talent, but couldn't lead a thirsty man to water 20 yards away. Yet again, my point is that I do not weep over role players, even if they are glorified role players.
    Carlon Brown was the MVP of the Pac-12 tournament and was all Pac-12 2nd team.

You keep talking about role players as if they were a dime a dozen. They are not.

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

You keep talking about role players as if they were a dime a dozen. They are not.
    Carlon was allowed to play selfishly and foolishly at Utah. Under someone other than Boylen he may have been a real contributor.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Carlon was allowed to play selfishly at Utah. Under someone other than Boylen he may have been a real contributor.
    I think Sancho hammered the point home pretty good about Carlon's ability to produce, and on an NCAA tournament team, one I believe was picked to finish 10th in the PAC-12.

That's all meaningless because UMS said so. He'd say the same thing about Justin Hawkins and Shaun Glover, guys that were go-to options on winning teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

I think you are missing my point. But at this point, its just silly to continue discussing the specifics.

I think Sancho hammered the point home pretty good about Carlon's ability to produce, and on an NCAA tournament team, one I believe was picked to finish 10th in the PAC-12.

That's all meaningless because UMS said so. He'd say the same thing about Justin Hawkins and Shaun Glover, guys that were go-to options on winning teams as well.
    LOL. Pat, as always, its been real.

Utah Men's Basketball Honored by NABC
    Team and four student-athletes receive academic awards

SALT LAKE CITY - The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) today announced the inaugural Team Academic Excellence Awards, created by the NABC Committee on Academics. Utah was honored as a team and four student-athletes were also recognized.

These awards recognize outstanding academic achievement by a team with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better for the 2012-13 season. Student-athletes must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2 or higher at the conclusion of the 2012-13 academic year and matriculated at least one year at their current institution.

Utah was one of 23 Division 1 schools to be honored as well as only one of six other "power conference" programs to receive the award joining (Kentucky, Louisville, Stanford, Texas and Texas Tech). The Cardinal were the only other Pac-12 school to join the Utes on the Honors Court.

David Foster, Renan Lenz, Ryan Osterloh and Xan Ricketts were recognized for their hard work in the classroom as only 11 Pac-12 student-athletes were named to the Honors Court. Utah was second with four selections while Stanford placed five on the list and Colorado added two.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Brekkot Chapman committing to Utah may be as big a milestone as Keith Van Horn decision to be a Ute. Time will tell. I hope Brekkot stays healthy and happy and grows. And puts on weight. And generally becomes a monster!

--Yeats

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Brekkot Chapman committing to Utah may be as big a milestone as Keith Van Horn decision to be a Ute. Time will tell. I hope Brekkot stays healthy and happy and grows. And puts on weight. And generally becomes a monster!

I'm very excited at this news, but I shiver when I hear the impact compared to KVH's commitment. It's really only as big a milestone if we look back and see it had a similar impact and for that to happen, BC is going to have to be the kind of player that KVH was....and I just don't think that's fair to a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I'm very excited at this news, but I shiver when I hear the impact compared to KVH's commitment. It's really only as big a milestone if we look back and see it had a similar impact and for that to happen, BC is going to have to be the kind of player that KVH was....and I just don't think that's fair to a kid.
    I realize I was stretching. The two are apples and oranges anyway. UCLA didn't even recruit Van Horn. He was a case of Majerus spotting talent (that UCLA's coach didn't see) and coaching it up. That's why I used the word "may." I may have been a little over the top.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post

I don't think that it is fair to compare him to KVH as well, but I don't think that it is an understatement to say that Chapman was the single most important recruit for the Utes in the last 10 years(esp when you consider the tender roots that we were able to plant at the end of last season)
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

This is a great piece of news heading into a new season. The Utes ended last season showing grit and team chemistry. Bringing a talented kid like this into a good environment is a great thing for the U. I don't want to compare him to anyone. I just want him to be a great local product that gets people excited and into the Huntsman Center on game day. We need to get a good game day environment going again for hoops and local talent is as good a way to do it as any. Majerus's first few years included josh grant and soto etc whose local ties were important and allowed majerus to connect with the community. The rydalch boys and drew Hansen all followed that up. Local talent helps out even if it isn't a major factor.

I'm glad to read that this kid can flat out play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's not fair to compare Chapman and Van Horn. Chapman is way more highly recruited than Van Horn was.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's not fair to compare Chapman and Van Horn. Chapman is way more highly recruited than Van Horn was.
    I am hoping that someday people will say a newly-committed recruit is as big a get as Chapman turned out to be.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I don't want to compare him to anyone. I just want him to be a great local product that gets people excited and into the Huntsman Center on game day.
    Well, I'll make the comparisons then. I think he's MJ, Larry, Dr. J, and a minotaur all rolled into one. Only better.

Thursday, September 5th
    11:00 am – 2:00 pm
    Gallivan Avenue

Stop by between 11:00 am – Noon
    to meet some of our players
    and help Paint the Town Red!!

We hope to see you there!
    GO UTES!!!

--Yeats

This event starts in 18 hours--this is the first I've heard of it. I hope others have heard about it or it is yet another marketing fail.

Also, why does the image show two players no longer with the team? If you were trying to get people out there are plenty of returning players whose image you could put on there.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    This event starts in 18 hours--this is the first I've heard of it. I hope others have heard about it or it is yet another marketing fail.

Also, why does the image show two players no longer with the team? If you were trying to get people out there are plenty of returning players whose image you could put on there.
    Not to mention the San Diego State colors on the fans and Martin.

--Yeats

Good players like to play with good players. I hope that these guys open the door to good players for the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by la ute View Post
    not to mention the san diego state colors on the fans and martin.
    get of my lawn !!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    get of my lawn !!
    Darn right!

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Utah on the Slow Road Back to Basketball Relevance

If you’re strictly a fan of Pac-12 basketball, you may not know it, but Utah basketball has a long and storied tradition. There are the 36 regular season conference championships, 27 NCAA Tournament appearances, 15 Sweet Sixteens, four Final Fours and even the 1944 national championship. Names like Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Tom Chambers, Andrew Bogut and Mike Newlin have gone on to enjoy significant success in the NBA. The thing is, all of that occurred prior to the Utes accepting its membership in the Pac-12. Since they’ve been in our fair conference, the team has gone a combined 21-43 overall and 8-28 in conference play in two seasons. But, rest assured, Utah basketball will be back sooner rather than later.
    - See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/10/10/u....maFyechP.dpuf
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-10-2013 at 05:07 PM.

--Yeats

Utah on the Slow Road Back to Basketball Relevance

- See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/10/10/u....maFyechP.dpuf
    This is a good read. My only disagreement comes with the writer's NCAA timetable. I see no reason why we shouldn't expect an NCAA bid in 2014-15. In fact, had we upgraded our non-con SOS, I think we could be a bubble team this year.

Also, it's never a bad thing to remind the Pac-12 that after UCLA and Arizona, our hoops heritage puts the rest of the league to shame.

This is a good read. My only disagreement comes with the writer's NCAA timetable. I see no reason why we shouldn't expect an NCAA bid in 2014-15. In fact, had we upgraded our non-con SOS, I think we could be a bubble team this year.

Also, it's never a bad thing to remind the Pac-12 that after UCLA and Arizona, our hoops heritage puts the rest of the league to shame.
    Agreed on all points.

--Yeats

This is great. I was a little uncertain about the music in the early going, but it had me pretty inspired after a while. Check out the video:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    "There’s no reason for us not to be at the top of the league," Hill said. "There are only two schools who have gone to the NCAA Tournament more than us and that’s UCLA and Arizona. We have a great tradition. Today was a start for our fundraising efforts and people are getting excited about it."

--Yeats

Delon Wright. Wow.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan