Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What teams make the tournament 40-60% of the time? You either make it almost every year, or you rarely make it at all. I just don't think 50% is a stable equilibrium. You will eventually tilt one way or the other.

One thing that's clear - the Pac-12 is down. That's an opportunity for someone to move up into the "almost every year" status. Might as well be Utah. We have UCLA and Arizona as every year programs. We have Oregon getting close to that status. A high major conference of 12 teams can support another "every year" program, and USC, Utah, UW, and ASU are the leading candidates.
    There are a ton of respectable, but not great, programs that make the tournament about 1 every 2-3 years. Look at the company we share here ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...bids_by_school

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There are a ton of respectable, but not great, programs that make the tournament about 1 every 2-3 years. Look at the company we share here ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...bids_by_school
    I think we're talking about different things. I agree that, if you look at long term averages, you can find schools at just about any percentage. I think a 50% rate makes sense if you are talking about periods of greatness mixed with long droughts. That's how it has worked for Utah.

I don't think it's common for schools to get a 50% in rate by going hit-miss-hit-miss-hit-miss....

One concern I have with this staff is that they appear to be ignoring talent right from our own backyard. Maybe ignoring is not the right word but I see local kids like Yoeli Childs, McEwen, Jake Lindsay going elsewhere with seemingly little interest from Utah. Was Collette even on our radar coming out of high school?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    One concern I have with this staff is that they appear to be ignoring talent right from our own backyard. Maybe ignoring is not the right word but I see local kids like Yoeli Childs, McEwen, Jake Lindsay going elsewhere with seemingly little interest from Utah. Was Collette even on our radar coming out of high school?
    I can't disagree with your overall point, but I'll just say that they did not ignore Jake Lindsay. From what I understand he was a top priority but he ultimately chose his dad's alma mater over the local school. (Let's hope Nico Mannion has a similar thought process!).

I always wanted Utah to offer McEwen but that was the same cycle they were trying to get Frank Jackson. Utah chased Jackson (and Markannan, Tillie, etc) to the bitter end and failed to do an adequate job of securing backup options such as McEwen and Childs. During that time I tweeted that Utah should offer McEwen as an alternative to Jackson, who was a longshot the second Duke offered. McEwen "liked" that tweet, which I took to mean that he wanted a Utah offer and would have likely committed.

I'm not sure how big of a miss Collette was. On the one hand, we saw him become a solid post scorer in the PAC 12. On the other hand he was pretty one dimensional and struggled with longer, more athletic bigs that were more common in the PAC 12. I feel like he's guy who maximized his talent, but I can see why Utah would have initially taken a pass on him.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    We just started 3 guys from utah

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We just started 3 guys from utah

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

We missed big-time on Yeoli Childs. He's the difference this year between us going to the NCAAs vs the NIT. He' would be a terrific segue way from the seniors to the new class we are getting next year.Moreover, local kids are more likely to stay more years. Bad, bad miss on that one.

Not only Childs, but also am wondering what happened with Mawien.

Not sure how good Mawien or the type of student/person he is, even though he seemed to have played well as of late for Kansas State. Assuming he wasn't a problem off the court, why would the staff keep a player like Jokl and not being patient and developing Mawien? Not that it matters now, but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    We missed big-time on Yeoli Childs. He's the difference this year between us going to the NCAAs vs the NIT. He' would be a terrific segue way from the seniors to the new class we are getting next year.Moreover, local kids are more likely to stay more years. Bad, bad miss on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Not only Childs, but also am wondering what happened with Mawien.

Not sure how good Mawien or the type of student/person he is, even though he seemed to have played well as of late for Kansas State. Assuming he wasn't a problem off the court, why would the staff keep a player like Jokl and not being patient and developing Mawien? Not that it matters now, but just curious.
    Mawien had issues here that extended beyond the court.