Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Mac's tenure as Utah HC ended because many fans simply could not see any sustained improvement and eventually stopped caring. One of his last games as HC was against UNLV and my estimate was that there were fewer than 20k fans in attendance. I get the feeling that is where things are with LK. Nobody goes. Nobody is interested. The U is offering lower bowl tickets for $8 and can't sell them. Something needs to change.

it is just so hard to watch. it is not enjoyable, and there isnt any optimism in the fan base.

BTW, I saw a tweet yesterday that Stanford's home game against UCLA had the lowest attendance since 1985. It was announced at 3,200 more or less, and somebody commented that the actual attendance was much less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    BTW, I saw a tweet yesterday that Stanford's home game against UCLA had the lowest attendance since 1985. It was announced at 3,200 more or less, and somebody commented that the actual attendance was much less than that.
    To be fair, Stanford has the smallest fan base of any Pac-12 program. But, yeah, things are not good in this conference.

I think the Pac-12 is probably a canary for the rest of college sports. The growing disinterest in college athletics (and professional athletics too) along the hip coast will probably reach the midwest in 10 years and then finally the south in 20.

As you read my comments, keep in mind that I am a paid shill.

We have a mix of non-'one and done' young kids combined with a senior group that has always been inconsistent.

In my opinion, these young guys are cut more from the Loveridge/Taylor/Tucker mold than they are the mold of other guys who have left. I think the struggles now will pay off in the coming years as they grow together and are joined next year by a very talented class.

I hope fans show up to support them. I think it will be worth it given time.

I agree, but it is really painful to watch.

Not sure why Tillman only played 20 minutes last night, the same as CJ Jr & 1 more than PVD. I know he plays different position, but he needs to be on the floor, especially when Barefield is not scoring.

The starting lineup with Battin & PVD has to change. It does for 2nd half,but makes for a slow painful start to the game.

Gach is the only point guard on the team & the only one who seems to be able to come up with a loose ball. He was best Ute player last night, which was a low bar.

The back-court of CJ Jr & PVD, which they had to use in OT at AZ because of fouls & gach ankle, did not work then & was like throwing in the towel last night. Neither one can create a shot for themselves or teammates. And with our 5's (either one) it is like an episode of 2 1/2 men--against 5.
    CJ Jr is a shut down defender--but his shot is so flat.

Good recruiting class coming in next year--lots of Bigs & Lahat at full strength. They will need a shooter---

The only hope for this year is the rest of the league is equally bad.

It's like some of you were sitting right behind my brother-in-law last night in the Hunty.....or maybe some of our seemingly astute observations were fairly obvious.

I made the same comment as SoCalPat above: Larry is going to be in real trouble very soon not necessarily because of his win/loss record but because of the general apathy around the program. Hard to see him lasting beyond next season if something doesn't change, but that will depend on people making the money work and I'm not sure how that looks now with Huntsman Sr having passed.

I could be talked into Utah being pretty solid next season, but they desperately need one of the big men to be competent and will be relying on a group of freshmen to supplant a fourth year senior. Jayce struggles with a lot of things but he goes hard and Larry obviously likes him so he may be entrenched in the lineup.

Crisp was going off in the first half until Utah put Jones on him, pretty quiet from that point on. Jones is a huge letdown on offense but having a lock down defender on the perimeter is also something this team sorely needs.

Utah also desperately needs another shooting guard next year, with the emphasis on the shooting. I still get mad because if I could custom-build the guard they need it would basically be Vante Hendrix--someone who can shoot and brings some athleticism and toughness. I expect Utah to be looking hard at JCs for this, but hopefully with better results than they have gotten from Jones (offensively, at least).

The rotations and playing time distributions were also weird. Utah immediately picked things up when Tillman entered the game in the first half. I'm not sure why he played so few minutes overall. It was also a 12-15 point game with almost five minutes left when both Barefield and Tillman came out to never return--Utah was very unlikely to win at that point but it seemed early to wave the white flag. Barefield was not having a good game but his presence did open things up for others to get shots.

Weird game. Very frustrating and bleak time for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Weird game. Very frustrating and bleak time for the program.
    It's not so bad. We know from last week that if our two best players can just manage to shoot 60% from the three point line, we can be right in there with the best teams in this conference.

I'm mystified by Battin in the starting lineup. He has a long way to go to become more than a spot up shooter. Last night, he couldn't fill that role. I haven't followed the Utes closely this year so I ask an honest question: can Battin become a Pac-12 player? What have any of you seen to assuage my concerns.

Loved Charles Jones last night. We sure need his defense. I actually thought he drove well a few times and found some people. Agree that his shot didn't look good. Gach and Allen are both big positives but both need a lot of work on shooting/shooting form - especially Allen. If he doesn't put some significant work on his shot - especially getting rid of holding the ball out from his body as he rises to shoot - he'll just be an undersized inside player his final few years. Allen sure fills the stat sheet though.

I totally agree with Blender on the need for a Vante Hendrix type player next season. We have a strong class coming in but none of them fit that description. Can Jones get there? I don't think he has the size or the shot. I see him as a high-energy off the bench player who helps Larry have that second unit of "junk-yard dogs" who defend and beat up opponents. I sure wish the first unit played that way all the time.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 01-11-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I'm mystified by Battin in the starting lineup. He has a long way to go to become more than a spot up shooter. Last night, he couldn't fill that role. I haven't followed the Utes closely this year so I ask an honest question: can Battin become a Pac-12 player? What have any of you seen to assuage my concerns.
    It will all depend on his willingness to hit the weights and become stronger and more physical.