Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Hybrid View

Great breakdown. We will be young, but talented. That's a great first step.

Here is another question: I know that Larry likes to schedule down to add up the wins. The football mentality. The bad thing is, unlike football, in basketball you actually need to schedule up to go dancing. BUT, we aren't dancing anyways.

So, what exactly is the point of scheduling down? Especially when you have your "core" group of guys for the next 2-3 years? I'd think that we'd want to significantly increase the OOC scheduling and see what happens. If we lose 5 OOC games, well, even if we finish third or fourth in the PAC-12, we weren't going dancing anyways.

But if we win those games, we make the tournament and set ourselves up very nicely for the next 2-3+ years.

So, why schedule down? What good does it do, other than have us miss the tournament...again.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Great breakdown. We will be young, but talented. That's a great first step.

Here is another question: I know that Larry likes to schedule down to add up the wins. The football mentality. The bad thing is, unlike football, in basketball you actually need to schedule up to go dancing. BUT, we aren't dancing anyways.

So, what exactly is the point of scheduling down? Especially when you have your "core" group of guys for the next 2-3 years? I'd think that we'd want to significantly increase the OOC scheduling and see what happens. If we lose 5 OOC games, well, even if we finish third or fourth in the PAC-12, we weren't going dancing anyways.

But if we win those games, we make the tournament and set ourselves up very nicely for the next 2-3+ years.

So, why schedule down? What good does it do, other than have us miss the tournament...again.
    I'd be kind of surprised if LK schedules down in the future.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell