Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I wanted to compare this year's non con to teh 2013-2014 non con which has been much lampooned. So here it is......

http://utahutes.com/schedule.aspx?pa...l&schedule=112

First of all.............Geoducks! I will never forget the mighty Geoducks! (pronounced "gooey-ducks" for those who forgot)

Second, did we fall asleep at the wheel with Idaho State?

Anyway, I think we can (and will) get to the tournament this year but we gotta go better than 9-9 in conference. This schedule doesn't leave much room for error as far as tourney entrance goes. But in a "rebuilding" year with some major depth concerns until fall semester is over, I get it. I don't love it, and I still think we could have and should have done better, but I get it.
    Much better than 9-9. In 2013-14, Arizona and UCLA went 1-2 in league, followed by a five-way tie for third at 10-8. Four of those teams made the tournament. The team that didn't -- Cal -- had the No. 36 SOS (to Utah's 88), and was 63rd in RPI to Utah's 82.

The 2013-14 team had 18 regular season D-1 wins, plus one in Vegas. So did that year's Cal team. I don't think one more win was what was lacking. Cal was a higher NIT seed (2, to Utah's 5). One more win wouldn't have guaranteed either team got in, but two likely would have. Let's say we need 21 D-1 wins. Utah gets there with an 8-2 non-con, an 11-7 mark in league play and two wins in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What Bill Riley thinks:

The State of Utah Basketball
    Interesting thoughts from Bill. He seems to disagree with the prevailing wisdom from this board that Kuzma can't play the 3. He has Kuzma starting at the 3 spot.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/...coach-7-12-16/

Good interview with Larry. Refers to the Brekkott transfer as "confusing". Actually some decent insight.

Good interview with Larry. Refers to the Brekkott transfer as "confusing". Actually some decent insight.
    Just listened to it. Highly recommended. His comments about the schedule are interesting and made me feel better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Just listened to it. Highly recommended. His comments about the schedule are interesting and made me feel better.
    Agree. Larry gets a bit indignant about things...but I like that about him.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Agree. Larry gets a bit indignant about things...but I like that about him.

So, how are you enjoying the mountain time zone?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

So, how are you enjoying the mountain time zone?
    It's an adjustment to be sure.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Also, ive been critical of bill for his wrubellian softballs in the past with larry. This interview was almost entirely "people are concerned, discuss!"

One of the highlights is Larry referring to Ogbe's injury as the "pubic bone".

Very interesting to basically hear him say that Isaiah Wright wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot, which Larry wouldn't do and that he was confused by Chapman's thinking.

It's too bad they forgot Mawien when discussing the transfers. It would have been interesting to hear Larry's comment. Having a local kid who is one the top recruits in the state that year come in, redshirt and then leave without playing isn't a good look. It looks like a pretty egregious miss on evaluation or something.

The part where they discussed Jakob 2.0 Jokl was very interesting. Larry has never seen him play?!?! The fact that they signed him under those circumstances doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. It makes it seem like they had a lot of transfers, missed on all the guys they wanted and then just took a flyer on a guy they know little about and will hope for the best.

Also in the Jokl part, Larry praised Jakob 2.0 for getting all of his paperwork done and turned in quickly to get admitted to the U. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I felt like this was Larry's discreet way of telling us that Baruti did not do the same and that is why he didn't sign. It's a strange thing to talk about in an interview so I think there was a reason he brought it up.

#PubicBone

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    One of the highlights is Larry referring to Ogbe's injury as the "pubic bone".

Very interesting to basically hear him say that Isaiah Wright wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot, which Larry wouldn't do and that he was confused by Chapman's thinking.

It's too bad they forgot Mawien when discussing the transfers. It would have been interesting to hear Larry's comment. Having a local kid who is one the top recruits in the state that year come in, redshirt and then leave without playing isn't a good look. It looks like a pretty egregious miss on evaluation or something.

The part where they discussed Jakob 2.0 Jokl was very interesting. Larry has never seen him play?!?! The fact that they signed him under those circumstances doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. It makes it seem like they had a lot of transfers, missed on all the guys they wanted and then just took a flyer on a guy they know little about and will hope for the best.

Also in the Jokl part, Larry praised Jakob 2.0 for getting all of his paperwork done and turned in quickly to get admitted to the U. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I felt like this was Larry's discreet way of telling us that Baruti did not do the same and that is why he didn't sign. It's a strange thing to talk about in an interview so I think there was a reason he brought it up.

#PubicBone
    Yeah...Ogbe had to hear that and think: "Thanks for that, coach."

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's an adjustment to be sure.

What? I missed it? I was planning on helping you move. Oh well, next time. Anytime you want to catch a game at Chez Sancho, let me know. I don't have HD, and I have 5 little kids, but other than that, the atmosphere is perfect.

Last edited by justaute; 07-14-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Savoy special!

Son of a former UNLV player. Great percentage from 3. I think guys who prep in Vegas who don't go to Findlay can slide under the radar because so much attention is paid to those guys, and as a result, players who play at other schools are viewed as lesser products. That doesn't mean they still can't be good players for high major D-1 programs.

Is that Steve's son? Interesting name, if so

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Is that Steve's son? Interesting name, if so
    Don't believe so based on his name, SCP's post and his statements in some articles that his dream is to follow in his dad's NBA footsteps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Don't believe so based on his name, SCP's post and his statements in some articles that his dream is to follow in his dad's NBA footsteps.

His dad's NBA footsteps consisted solely of being in the Miami Heat's training camp. His post-playing footsteps included being busted for a cocaine buy in Vegas about 3 years ago.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 07-15-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    His dad's NBA footsteps consisted solely of being in the Miami Heat's training camp. His post-playing footsteps included being busted for a cocaine buy in Vegas about 3 years ago.
    Better than my dads NBA footsteps.

Two more offers have been made. Jordan Nwora and Jacob Epperson.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

Two more offers have been made. Jordan Nwora and Jacob Epperson.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah
    Both bigs. One of them an Aussie. Interesting.

--Yeats

Aussie bigs... Anyone have an idea of how involved/uninvolved Andrew Bogut is with the Utes? One thing I'd love to know in all programs is about former player involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Aussie bigs... Anyone have an idea of how involved/uninvolved Andrew Bogut is with the Utes? One thing I'd love to know in all programs is about former player involvement.

I saw a picture tweeted from Australia of Bogut together with Bonham. Bonham is with the PAC 12 All Star team playing down there. I guess the point is that Bogut at least recognizes one of the current players from our team, so there is that.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I saw a picture tweeted from Australia of Bogut together with Bonham. Bonham is with the PAC 12 All Star team playing down there. I guess the point is that Bogut at least recognizes one of the current players from our team, so there is that.
    He seems to pay pretty close attention, as he will usually tweet out best wishes or congratulations to both the football and basketball teams when they are about to play in or just won a big game.

Which PAC-12 arenas are the most difficult to play in? ESPN has ranked them. Arizona is #1. We're #4:

4. Utah Utes: Jon M. Huntsman Center, opened in 1969
    The downside of having a 15,000-seat gym is that you can pack in 13,000 people and still have a noticeable number of unoccupied seats. So it is at the Huntsman Center, which averaged 12,997 fans at home games in 2015-16 -- 24th-most in the country -- and still rarely boasted a sellout. Even so, the successes of sixth-year coach Larry Krystkowiak's tenure have done wonders for the atmosphere, and Utah fans require minimal encouragement in the first place.

Fun fact: Then known as the Special Events Center, it hosted the 1979 Final Four, the one where Larry Bird and Magic Johnson more or less changed the face of college basketball forever -- back when Final Fours were staged in actual basketball gyms.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17192636/pac-12-venues-ranked-according-difficulty
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-02-2016 at 03:50 PM.

--Yeats

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

This is just an interesting reminder of how far we have come in six years (and somewhat painful to watch).

--Yeats

This is just an interesting reminder of how far we have come in six years (and somewhat painful to watch).

Comrade Crimson would prefer believe that the basketball program was better during that period than it is now.

I watched the 1998 game vs UNC tonight. I loved those days. Love him or hate him, Rick Majerus was the smartest coach in the building wherever he went.

GTFO with that stuff. What are you, a BYU troll now?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    GTFO with that stuff. What are you, a BYU troll now?
    HIs ideological purity has always been suspect.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    HIs ideological purity has always been suspect.
    What? You're a closet Boylen fan? I am shocked. Shocked!

--Yeats