Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It should probably be a litmus test for any potential football/basketball coaching hire at Utah, being able to relate to the dominant religious masses in such a setting. If you can't "recruit" them, how the hell can you expect to get Top 150 kids to come to Utah?
    When I was a student I was able to attend a similar function with Urban Meyer speaking to LDSSA. Regardless of a coach's religious affiliation (or lack thereof) reaching out to such a large student organization is a no-brainer (same as with greek row and other organizations).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    When I was a student I was able to attend a similar function with Urban Meyer speaking to LDSSA. Regardless of a coach's religious affiliation (or lack thereof) reaching out to such a large student organization is a no-brainer (same as with greek row and other organizations).
    UBlender and I went to the U went to at the same time. I remember Urban was at several LDSSA functions. He was king at public relations. I also remember Bernie Machen (University President at the time) doing a fireside as well. I think it is great. There is a connection made there regardless of religious affiliation. I think it's great.

Not much new here but interesting article about Huntsman upgrades:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57...-utah.html.csp

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I've been hearing that Josh Sharp might be pushed out at the Y next year. I never like to see a kid's dream get extinguished, but when you pull a Trent Whiting I have much less sympathy.
    Last edited by Applejack; 02-12-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I've been hearing that Josh Sharp might be pushed out at the Y next year. I never like to see a kid's dream get extinguished, but when you pull a Trent Whiting I have much less sympathy.
    The ironic thing is, Sharp might have done the smart thing, because he probably loses his scholarship at Utah last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The ironic thing is, Sharp might have done the smart thing, because he probably loses his scholarship at Utah last summer.
    I doubt it. We probably don't recruit Kovacevic with Sharp on the roster. And, to be frank, I'd trade Kova for Sharp right now. I'd even throw in a draft pick.

I think I recall Harmon gushing about what a steal Sharp was for Utah. I also think Krysko got some grief from the usual suspects about letting Sharp go.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I doubt it. We probably don't recruit Kovacevic with Sharp on the roster. And, to be frank, I'd trade Kova for Sharp right now. I'd even throw in a draft pick.
    Doesn't matter all that much, but I'll stick with Kova. Neither gets playing time on this team, but it's nice to know there is another big body there in case Lenz, Bach, and JO all get into foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Doesn't matter all that much, but I'll stick with Kova. Neither gets playing time on this team, but it's nice to know there is another big body there in case Lenz, Bach, and JO all get into foul trouble.
    Agree to disagree. Kova has 13 points all year (5 if you discount games against a bad high school team - St. Kats). I said this after watching him live against St Kats, but Kova is not going to make it. He's a terrible post defender.

Agree to disagree. Kova has 13 points all year (5 if you discount games against a bad high school team - St. Kats). I said this after watching him live against St Kats, but Kova is not going to make it. He's a terrible post defender.
    I can't imagine where or when Sharp would get minutes on this team. If you are going to have a stiff as your 12th man, you prefer a tall stiff.

I can't imagine where or when Sharp would get minutes on this team. If you are going to have a stiff as your 12th man, you prefer a tall stiff.
    If the Utes are able to get the big Austrian who just visited or a similar big man someone is going to go and based on on-court performance alone I would ave to think it would be Kova. I don't see him progressing as much as Bach or Olsen and replacing him with a freshman balances out the big man classes a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by uteopia View Post
    if the utes are able to get the big australian who just visited or a similar big man someone is going to go and based on on-court performance alone i would ave to think it would be kova. I don't see him progressing as much as bach or olsen and replacing him with a freshman balances out the big man classes a little better.
    fify.

fify.
    Who is this mystery Austrian/Australian? Is he more Andrew Bogut or Ben Melmeth?

Who is this mystery Austrian/Australian? Is he more Andrew Bogut or Ben Melmeth?
    He's Austrian, name is Jakob Poeltl. 7-footer. Google will tell you about him.

--Yeats

fify.
    Lol, you ought to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He's Austrian, name is Jakob Poeltl. 7-footer. Google will tell you about him.
    But Google will not tell me whether he's the next Bogut or the next Melmuth.

Neither. He's the next Ahhhhhhnold

I just googled "Best Austrian basketball player ever." :disheartened:

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Lol, you ought to google it.
    My bad. I thought you were talking about this guy:

http://ausahoops.com/70-perry-is-dev...me-at-the-ais/

I don't recall where I learned this, but he's also being recruited by Arizona and Cal. He attended a game at the Huntsman recently with his mom and dad and sat by someone impressive (a former Ute player?) who was helping recruit him. He might have gone into the locker room with the team after the game (my memory is fuzzy). Evidently Kodiak wants the kid enough to make a real effort.

--Yeats

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by socalpat View Post
    my bad. I thought you were talking about this guy:

http://ausahoops.com/70-perry-is-dev...me-at-the-ais/
    image.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.

--Yeats

I don't recall where I learned this, but he's also being recruited by Arizona and Cal. He attended a game at the Huntsman recently with his mom and dad and sat by someone impressive (a former Ute player?) who was helping recruit him. He might have gone into the locker room with the team after the game (my memory is fuzzy). Evidently Kodiak wants the kid enough to make a real effort.
    I think Arizona wants him to red/grayshirt for a year first. Cal is hot on his trail, though.

But again, don't google "Austrian basketball stars" if you want to get excited about this kid's potential.

I absolutely hate the "Guess who transfers!" game that some of the folks in the fanbase like to play during the season (after the season, i jump right in), but I think its safe to say that Marko will probably be elsewhere next year. Itd be tough to go into next year with a three headed center monster of two sr's and one jr. Replacing him with a freshman who can develop would be ideal. It will be interesting to watch this unfold.

If we land this kid, we would have to be the only team with two native German speaking kids on the roster.

Javol!

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    If we land this kid, we would have to be the only team with two native German speaking kids on the roster.

Javol!

Hey, maybe that gives us an advantage! Go get 'im, Ogbe!

--Yeats

Hey, maybe that gives us an advantage! Go get 'im, Ogbe!

I was told by someone that he and Ogbe have crossed paths in Germany's junior leagues.

But again, don't google "Austrian basketball stars" if you want to get excited about this kid's potential.
    I guess the total number would be right up there with Monacan war heroes.

--Yeats

Utah last year in games decided by ...

3 points or less/OT: 2-4

5 points or less: 5-6

Utah this year in games decided by ...

3 points or less/OT: 0-6

5 points or less: 1-7

Last two years 3 points or less/OT: 2-10

Last two years 5 points or less: 6-13

This is not a good trend and is my primary point of contention when people say we're "improved." We're in about as many close games as we were last year and, if possible, winning fewer of them. It should also be noted we got 2 close wins last year only because of Vegas and the tournament format -- we were 0-4 in the regular season and if we lose to USC in Vegas, we don't get the chance to get a close win vs. Cal.

This is not a good trend and is my primary point of contention when people say we're "improved."
    I understand that there's an issue here, but it's also more than clear that this is an "improved" team.

I understand that there's an issue here, but it's also more than clear that this is an "improved" team.
    Oh sure, we're improved in talent and Bachinsky has been a major difference maker, but ultimately you paint yourself into a corner where you have no choice but to win most of those games. And in that regard, we're not improved.

Bottom line, our results in close games is not an acceptable standard for next year; hence, the choice of thread I put this in.