Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by Ute Bear View Post
    Here is your chance to see Reyes in action.

Here is link to to road game he played this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7_w7nOo6o

Its a pretty good production by Santa Monica College, complete with commentary. You won't have to watch very much of the game to understand why we gave him a scholarship.
    Nice find!

Thanks!

Here is link to to road game he played this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7_w7nOo6o

Its a pretty good production by Santa Monica College, complete with commentary. You won't have to watch very much of the game to understand why we gave him a scholarship.
    Thanks. The guy looks like a beast (in the best possible sense). I'm starting to get a little excited about him as a Ute.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Thanks, UteBear. I just watched the first 5 minutes or so. It's a little tough to judge because he is SO much bigger than everyone out there, but he makes a couple nice slips on the pick-and-roll and seems pretty handy going to the rim. I was a little worried by his flat-footed, always helping defense, but the guy he was guarding may have been a non-factor on offense.

You know, that Reyes kid, you know, looks, you know, pretty, you know, impressive. ha ha.

This is pretty cool:

Utah Men's Basketball Places Record Five on Pac-12 All-Academic Teams

Utah sophomores Jeremy Olsen and Brandon Taylor were each named to the Pac-12's All-Academic First Team this afternoon by league commissioner Larry Scott. In all, a record five Utes earned accolades from the league due to excellence in the classroom.

Olsen, who has a 3.77 GPA in Accounting, earned scholastic honors for the second-consecutive season. Taylor, who owns a 3.71 GPA in Psychology, gave Utah two of the five spots on the First Team. The Ute duo was joined by three Stanford student-athletes, Anthony Brown, John Gage and Robbie Lemons.

Dallin Bachynski, Renan Lenz and Dakarai Tucker were named honorable mention all-academic Pac-12 as Utah and Stanford combined for 11 student-athletes of the 18 selected by the conference. Lenz, a senior from Brazil, has a 3.09 GPA in Economics, while Bachynski has a 3.00 GPA in Communications and Tucker has a 3.05 GPA.

To be eligible for selection to the academic team, a student-athlete must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade-point average and be either a starter or significant contributor. The Pac-12 All Academic regulations define a "starter or significant substitute" as having participated in 50 percent of a team's scheduled contests, except in unusual circumstances, such as injury.
    Utah and Stanford: The brains of PAC-12 hoops.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-26-2014 at 12:42 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Isaiah Wright is starting to look pretty good:

5A All-Idaho Player of the year

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Isaiah Wright is starting to look pretty good:

5A All-Idaho Player of the year
    I would like to know what he's done vs. AAU/travel ball competition, because HS hoops in Idaho is weak. That said, Josh Huestis, who was a great player at Stanford (and IIRC, a player Jim Boylen went after pretty hard) piled up similar accolades coming out of Montana, hardly a prep hoops hotbed.. This type of player is the most intriguing, because you really don't have a clue as to their ceiling.

He could be the star of the class or he could be Kareem Storey, Part II -- a kid whose background led me to believe he'd have a much better career at Utah than he actually had.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I would like to know what he's done vs. AAU/travel ball competition, because HS hoops in Idaho is weak. That said, Josh Huestis, who was a great player at Stanford (and IIRC, a player Jim Boylen went after pretty hard) piled up similar accolades coming out of Montana, hardly a prep hoops hotbed.. This type of player is the most intriguing, because you really don't have a clue as to their ceiling.

He could be the star of the class or he could be Kareem Storey, Part II -- a kid whose background led me to believe he'd have a much better career at Utah than he actually had.
    Who was the big stiff that Majerus recruited out of Montana or Wyoming late in his tenure? Memory fails.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Who was the big stiff that Majerus recruited out of Montana or Wyoming late in his tenure? Memory fails.
    I believe you are referring to Jake Schmidt, from Thermopolis, Wyoming.

Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid. Here is what he said about Utah last year:

“They were actually thinking about me staying there, but they were recruiting other guards,” he said. “The system is primarily like a halfcourt-based offense. I don’t feel like that works to my strengths. My strengths are penetrating, attacking, getting shots early in transition. I feel like a different fit would have been better.

“It was tough to leave it behind, especially the fans in Utah. They were awesome. They supported us even though we were having a rough season. But it was just something I had to do to make a progression. I think it worked well for me and Utah, so all in all I think it was the best thing to do. It was kind of hard to do, but at the end of the day it was something I had to do.”

Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid. Here is what he said about Utah last year:

“They were actually thinking about me staying there, but they were recruiting other guards,” he said. “The system is primarily like a halfcourt-based offense. I don’t feel like that works to my strengths. My strengths are penetrating, attacking, getting shots early in transition. I feel like a different fit would have been better.

“It was tough to leave it behind, especially the fans in Utah. They were awesome. They supported us even though we were having a rough season. But it was just something I had to do to make a progression. I think it worked well for me and Utah, so all in all I think it was the best thing to do. It was kind of hard to do, but at the end of the day it was something I had to do.”
    so that is our problem. We have an offense with no penetrating, attacking, or shots early in transition. Actually, it did seem as though we could have used more of all of those things.

From espn insider today:

Joel Francisco: If you're looking for a team to be a spoiler in next year's NCAA tournament, look no further than the Utah Utes. The Utes finished 21-12 overall and 9-9 in the much-improved Pac-12 this season. Coach Larry Krystkowiak has every player coming back, plus an outstanding recruiting class coming in. All-Pac-12 point guard Delon Wright returns along with the versatile Jordan Loveridge. Speedy backup point guard Brandon Taylor and wing shooter Dakarai Tucker are back in the mix as well. In the frontcourt, Dallin Bachynskiand Jeremy Olsen are back to hold down the paint. Thanks to so many returning players, Krystkowiak will be able to slowly bring along a talented group of newcomers that features the stellar all-around game of Brekkott Chapman, the multi-skilled Kyle Kuzma and yet another polished, savvy point guard in Isaiah Wright. Overall, the Utes will be skilled, deep and, most importantly, experienced. By the time March comes around, Utah should be a squad every team in the country will need to be aware of heading into the tournament.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    so that is our problem. We have an offense with no penetrating, attacking, or shots early in transition. Actually, it did seem as though we could have used more of all of those things.
    I am hoping we see more of that next season. I was watching all the Elite 8 teams play and was pretty envious of the way they attacked. Especially Michigan State. I liked that team a lot. With better and longer athletes (e.g., Kuzma) we may be able to pull that style off a little better. Watching guys like Keith Appling convinced me that if Delon can develop a pull-up jumper that alone will change our offensive capabilities significantly.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    From espn insider today:
    Don't believe it, they are positive about Loveridge, so they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    From espn insider today:
    BS we will not be NCAA spoilers. We will be 40-0!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid.
    I agree. He could have contributed, was contributing, and I was surprised he was let go.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

"Coach Larry Krystkowiak has every player coming back . . ."

Poor Renan.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I agree. He could have contributed, was contributing, and I was surprised he was let go.
    For all of my criticisms and perceived shortcomings of Brandon Taylor, Storey is a clear step below Brandon in what he brings to the table.

For all of my criticisms and perceived shortcomings of Brandon Taylor, Storey is a clear step below Brandon in what he brings to the table.
    Good kid. Couldn't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Agreed. I liked Storey, but the kid was a bricklayer.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Don't look now, but this might describe a good many players currently on our roster. *Gulp*

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Don't look now, but this might describe a good many players currently on our roster. *Gulp*
    The irony is not lost on me. However, our non-shooters are all taller than 5-10.

This is unexpected. I knew Kodiak was getting a salray increase, but this looks like an extension.

Tony Jones @Tjonessltrib

Breaking news: Chris Hill tells me he and Larry Krystkowiak have agreed in principle to a new five year contract

--Yeats

This is unexpected. I knew Kodiak was getting a salray increase, but this looks like an extension.
    Article says they've "changed some things around".

Guessing this is also a way to make sure places like Cal keep their hands off (even though this was done before Cal had an opening)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Guessing this is also a way to make sure places like Cal keep their hands off (even though this was done before Cal had an opening)
    I bet it doesn't hurt with how full the Hunty was this year. I think they hoped that we would end up a little worse off than we did. We really excelled expectations this year. They probably told Coach K that he made them some extra cash, and they threw some of that back his way.

So far, things are working out peachy for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I understand they have been talking about increasing his compensation and changing a few other things since early this year, well before the Cal opening came up. I hadn't heard that an actual extension was on the table.

--Yeats

One thing Utah fans should be proud of is our hoops team's academic performance. We placed 5 players on the PAC-12 all-academic team. Only Stanford had more, with 6. I'm watching right now Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and it's pretty shocking to see the Mickey Mouse stuff other major universities (Michigan and North Carolina, for example) are getting away with. College football players who can't read? Athletes graduating with fake degrees? Really?

--Yeats

Some fun video of Isaiah Wright to watch:

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/isaiah-...s-awards-utah/

Looks like the kid works hard. He also has a pull-up jumper, something that's been missing from the Ute arsenal the last couple of years.

--Yeats

And this is an interesting analysis of home basketball attendance since 1983. It's hard to explain why attendance dropped after Giac's and Boylen's best seasons. I suspect that won't happen to Kodiak next season but we'll see.

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/utah-ba...y-krystkowiak/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-04-2014 at 08:12 AM.

--Yeats

And this is an interesting analysis of home basketball attendance since 1983. It's hard to explain why attendance dropped after Giac's and Boylen's best seasons. I suspect that won't happen to Kodiak next season but we'll see.

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/utah-ba...y-krystkowiak/
    Does everybody in the world now have a blog? Its like the old joke about opinions and certain holes. How do you find these, and how do you keep up?