Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Solid win. That got out of hand quickly. Turned on that technical foul. Another nice win... years of crappy Utah basketball is starting to feel like a distant memory.
    Isn't it nice?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One part of the rebuild is that LK has recruited shooters and given them a system that enables them to score both inside and out. Going into this game we were 9th nationally in 3 point shooting. Was there ever a time in the past when we were that good from beyond the arc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One part of the rebuild is that LK has recruited shooters and given them a system that enables them to score both inside and out. Going into this game we were 9th nationally in 3 point shooting. Was there ever a time in the past when we were that good from beyond the arc?
    Not since I started at the U in '87, which I believe was the first year the 3-point line was introduced (or near that time).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Not since I started at the U in '87, which I believe was the first year the 3-point line was introduced (or near that time).
    I think we take for granted how good of a 3-point shooting team we are. Since 1997-98, we are a near-fixture in the top 50 in 3PT%.

Utah's previous best was 5th in the 2006-07 season (Giac's final year, interestingly enough. Actually, not that interesting considering we had two of the school's all-time marksmen on that team in Shaun Green and Johnnie Bryant). Also 9th in 2002-03 (Jacobson, Marc Jackson). Worst was 261st in 2009-10 and 246th the following year (Boylen's last two seasons) and 300th in 2011-12 (5-win season).

Between Southern Utah, BYU, Utah State and Utah, state schools are a fixture in these rankings. I know SUU was No. 1 once, and maybe twice during that time (I didn't take notes on all the schools).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I think we take for granted how good of a 3-point shooting team we are. Since 1997-98, we are a near-fixture in the top 50 in 3PT%.

Utah's previous best was 5th in the 2006-07 season (Giac's final year, interestingly enough. Actually, not that interesting considering we had two of the school's all-time marksmen on that team in Shaun Green and Johnnie Bryant). Also 9th in 2002-03 (Jacobson, Marc Jackson). Worst was 261st in 2009-10 and 246th the following year (Boylen's last two seasons) and 300th in 2011-12 (5-win season).

Between Southern Utah, BYU, Utah State and Utah, state schools are a fixture in these rankings. I know SUU was No. 1 once, and maybe twice during that time (I didn't take notes on all the schools).
    3-pt shooting was all we had Giac's last year it seemed. I used to see Johnny Bryant around SLC a lot, believe he was somehow associated with the Jazz. Any ideas what he is up to today?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it myself, he is still with the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    3-pt shooting was all we had Giac's last year it seemed. I used to see Johnny Bryant around SLC a lot, believe he was somehow associated with the Jazz. Any ideas what he is up to today?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it myself, he is still with the Jazz.
    I don't like doggin' on Ray and he had some issues away from hoops that made a separation a very acceptable solution. But damn ... you have a team that shoots the three like that, you should be in the Dance. It's like finishing No. 1 in turnover margin in football and going 4-8. Unacceptable.

Nice NCAA video, aptly titled for this thread:

Larry Krystkowiak: Rebuilding Utah Basketball

In only four seasons, Larry Krystkowiak has taken his Utah basketball program from a six win season to a national championship contender.

March 6, 2015 (3:49)

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball...ry-krystkowiak

--Yeats

It's unfair to expect Gabe Bealer to be another Delon, but he might add something important next season. A 6'5" guy who can shoot and score at the rim with either hand. Not the stat-stuffer that Delon is, but maybe a special player. He does have a season-ending knee injury to recover from, so we'll see.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.

--Yeats

It's unfair to expect Gabe Bealer to be another Delon, but he might add something important next season. A 6'5" guy who can shoot and score at the rim with either hand. Not the stat-stuffer that Delon is, but maybe a special player. He does have a season-ending knee injury to recover from, so we'll see.
    The other guys won't have someone to lean on the way they lean on Delon. I think that this reality will actually help a few guys step up their game. Also, I feel like Ogbe was having a nice Sophmore campaign before injuries really derailed his season. So, if he's back, I think he'll be a key contributor next year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I would not be surprised to see Bealer as our starting 2 next year, with I. Wright coming off the bench. Taylor's flexibility is key here.

A starting 5 of Taylor, Bealer, Loveridge, Chapman and Poeltl would be intriguing. Top reserves would be I. Wright, Reyes, Tucker, Ogbe and Olsen.

Mawien will get minutes too. He is tougher down low than anyone we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Yeah, I think he'll take Reyes' minutes. I think Kuzma gets minutes ahead of Ogbe too.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I thought of him (Kuzma as well). We'll need Mawien more than we'll need Kuzma, if this year's shortcomings are an indicator of what we need to improve on next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I thought of him (Kuzma as well). We'll need Mawien more than we'll need Kuzma, if this year's shortcomings are an indicator of what we need to improve on next year.
    Yes, which is why I think Kuzma is more valuable than Ogbe. He doesn't shoot as well as Ogbe (not close), but there is more potential for him to be a rebounder.

Larry Krystkowiak dishes on a variety of topics after mostly sweet Runnin' Utes season

Tidbits:

“It feels very much like home,” he said. “There’s a lot that goes into getting a program going and it’s a lot of energy and time. So to go through that over the last four years and get settled in where I’ve got five happy kids and a happy wife — and we’re all healthy and everybody’s flourishing kind in their own little area — I’m in a situation, I think, that is one of the best basketball jobs in the country.”

The coach considers it a destination job. It’s not one where you seek other things, Krystkowiak explained, pointing out the great league the Utes are in and the people he works for.

“I don’t know what else a person would want to do,” he said. “So I feel really fortunate to be able to do what I’m doing and to do it with a real happy family.”

“I know all the guys on our staff are going to be quality head coaches at some point,” Krystkowiak said. “It’s just a matter of time. From top to bottom, there’s no doubt in my mind that they’ve all got what it takes and I’m there to support them however I can. I would never want to hold anyone back.”

Utah’s rise will likely produce opportunities down the road and lead to plenty of speculation for the staff.

“Hopefully it’s an indication that things are going well if your assistants are being talked about,” Krystkowiak said. “I can only hope that’s the case.”
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-13-2015 at 09:53 AM.

--Yeats

From the Utah Athletic Department:

"The Utah men’s basketball team had the fourth-largest home attendance increase in the nation in 2014-15, improving its average by almost 2,000 fans a game to 12,101. The Runnin’ Utes ranked second in the Pac-12 Conference and in the top 30 in the nation in home attendance last season. Thanks to our amazing fans!"

--Yeats

I got a tour of the new basketball facility this morning. It was hard to take it all in, and the whole thing is almost overwhelming. Recruits will be impressed. It's a major step forward for the program.

--Yeats

I got a tour of the new basketball facility this morning. It was hard to take it all in, and the whole thing is almost overwhelming. Recruits will be impressed. It's a major step forward for the program.
    Break away rims?

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Here is a shot of the facility from this morning. The structure on the left contains cooling towers that no longer function. The plan is to remove it for aesthetic purposes because right now it blocks the front entrance, which is very nice-looking. That'll take a year or so to get done.

--Yeats

cool building. cool dog.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    cool building. cool dog.
    I forgot the dog was in the photo. Here's another shot of her from this morning's walk:

--Yeats

Better shot of the puppy:

--Yeats

Do you know when or if they may be allowing proletariat season ticket holders tour the facility?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Do you know when or if they may be allowing proletariat season ticket holders tour the facility?
    I don't know. I asked for one -- there may be tours for groups of Crimson Clubbers. Maybe the Crimson Club office can tell you.

--Yeats

The building this morning:

--Yeats

The building this morning:

Ill be up there late this afternoon. I can't wait to see how it looks in person. Last time I was up there was in late April and it was still covered by a lot of plastic.

This parking garage is just west of the basketball center. You can see the workmen installing the grass turf that will be on top of the building. It will be lighted and used for some sports practices -- not sure which -- and other activities.

When I was a U student parking terraces were verboten. The plan was to make people take mass transit and to reduce on-campus parking steadily.

--Yeats

This parking garage is just west of the basketball center. You can see the workmen installing the grass turf that will be on top of the building. It will be lighted and used for some sports practices -- not sure which -- and other activities.

When I was a U student parking terraces were verboten. The plan was to make people take mass transit and to reduce on-campus parking steadily.

Are you sort of bored, twiddling your thumbs, and running out of things to do between Monday and Thursday? Going to the Law School opening this am?

BTW, mass transit is still the plan overall.

One thing I really loved about the Oregon campus was how compact it is. No parking lots anywhere so far as I could tell, except the garage by the new bb arena.

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

I'll be at the law building event. Will look for you.

Thanks to the miracle of technology, I am getting a lot of work done while here too. It's amazing what one can accomplish when the phone isn't ringing constantly.

--Yeats