Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling BYU news today...

Two game series in 2017 (September) and 2018 (last game of the year).

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Two game series in 2017 (September) and 2018 (last game of the year).
    Yes!!!! I love the last game of the year scheduling for 2018. Is that game in Provo? I might have to get tickets for that one.

If they continue to alternate venues (2013, 2016, 2017, 2018) the game would be in SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yes!!!! I love the last game of the year scheduling for 2018. Is that game in Provo? I might have to get tickets for that one.
    I am hoping that the CU thing can eventually turn into a fun, healthy rivalry. That won't happen if we go back to BYU for the last game of the year.

I also dislike helping BYU with their Nov scheduling problem.

I will admit that the game will feel more in place.

You realize this is just as much about helping the Pac12 with their scheduling as it is with helping BYU, right?

You realize this is just as much about helping the Pac12 with their scheduling as it is with helping BYU, right?
    I'm not all that interested in the Pac-12's scheduling issues. I'm sure there are other ways.

I also have a selfish reason for wanting the CU game to end the season. I live in Colorado, and a Thanksgiving game is perfect for having family visit for the holiday.

"helping", "taking advantage of a loophole" whatever works best from a persons perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am hoping that the CU thing can eventually turn into a fun, healthy rivalry. That won't happen if we go back to BYU for the last game of the year.

I also dislike helping BYU with their Nov scheduling problem.

I will admit that the game will feel more in place.
    I hear this a lot, but I don't understand it. Why would we want to get rid of BYU as our rival? They are the best rival anyone could ever dream of having. They have it all: close proximity to us, lots of entangled fan/coach/player relationships with us, holier-than-thou attitude, embarrassing religious entanglements, and the CougarEat. They are like the Yankees, Notre Dame, and that jerk from every 80s movie rolled up into one.

Just a regular guy's opinion...

Our focus should be foremost on the PAC 12. Bending over backwards to schedule BYU helps them through the challenges of being independent. Rather than separating ourselves over time from them we are helping them remain relevant in the State of Utah.

Shouldn't we be beating our competition in every way instead of helping them? I fail to see how scheduling BYU helps Utah's long term interests in our new conference. We have a long way to go to catch up in the PAC 12 and it will not be an easy task. We can do both but I'd rather have a singular focus for our athletic department. I would bet the super majority of BYU fans are happy and probably relieved that this was scheduled.

I was really looking forward to more non-conference games with BCS opponents. Now in 16, 17, and 18 we will not be playing anyone of interest in our non-conference schedule (sorry but I don't find playing BYU interesting in any way).

Remember how great it was when we scheduled Michigan? That's how I want every year non conference schedule to be: a good/interesting BCS opponent with a home and home setup. Instead we will get BYU, non-BCS and Div2 team for those three years.

What kind of message are we sending the PAC 12? We love you PAC 12 but pretty please let us keep all the money, exposure and prestige and still play BYU? That's a sad message in my opinion. Isn't the PAC 12 our path to bigger and better things yet we still want to re-date the less attractive girl from a few years ago? It's so nice that we are helping the conference out by scheduling a non-conference game in November at home in 2018... big, yawn, deal. What a sad little excuse.

I do think Hill was under considerable pressure to schedule the series (Blue Hairs, Local Media, his legacy). He didn't want to be the guy that ended the rivalry. I can understand where he is coming from even if I completely disagree with the decision.

Flame away...

I hear this a lot, but I don't understand it. Why would we want to get rid of BYU as our rival? They are the best rival anyone could ever dream of having. They have it all: close proximity to us, lots of entangled fan/coach/player relationships with us, holier-than-thou attitude, embarrassing religious entanglements, and the CougarEat. They are like the Yankees, Notre Dame, and that jerk from every 80s movie rolled up into one.

They'll talk about how this is a no win situation for our team or how it helps BYU, but these mask the REAL reason. It seems a lot of fans are obsessed with the idea of big-timing BYU. It is their reddest dream; perhaps caused by the psychological trauma of cheering for the little brother for so much of modern history. Regardless, the idea of not even having to beat BYU on the field, but to simply lift up our collective nose gives some fans the biggest hard-on.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    Just a regular guy's opinion...

Our focus should be foremost on the PAC 12. Bending over backwards to schedule BYU helps them through the challenges of being independent. Rather than separating ourselves over time from them we are helping them remain relevant in the State of Utah.
    Do you realize how foolish this sentiment is when you see other Pac-12 schools scheduling BYU? Arizona and USC are on the docket (albeit some years off) and I'm sure there will be more.

You want to keep BYU relevant in the state of Utah? Start stringing together 5-7 seasons.

This is fabulous news for those of us who don't obsess over BYU save for one week out of the year and can keep the rivalry in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Sweep the leg!
    Excuse me, but that is patently offensive to some members.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post

They'll talk about how this is a no win situation for our team or how it helps BYU, but these mask the REAL reason. It seems a lot of fans are obsessed with the idea of big-timing BYU. It is their reddest dream; perhaps caused by the psychological trauma of cheering for the little brother for so much of modern history. Regardless, the idea of not even having to beat BYU on the field, but to simply lift up our collective nose gives some fans the biggest hard-on.
    Sure, but there is clearly more to it. BYU is complicated now. We only get 3 OOC games per year. How do we want to spend them? We can only have one Thanksgiving game - which team makes more sense long term, CU or BYU? What is best for Utah (and for haters like me, the corollary question: what is worst for BYU)? We need to consider SOS, tradition, and recruiting to answer those questions. If BYU is not on the schedule, who will be, and why?

I have really enjoyed being part of the Utah/BYU rivalry. Rivalries like ours bring the highest highs and lowest lows known to sports. The ideal is to beat BYU regularly and badly until they cry uncle and call the whole thing off. Abandoning the series proves nothing; only by winning can we prove anything. But still, I'm not certain that having BYU on the schedule is in the best interest of the team. And if having them is in our best interests, I'm not sure what time of the season is in our best interest. It's definitely all more complicated now.

Just saw this at fbschedules.com, but apparently we're opening the 2017 season with North Dakota, a FCS team, and we have Southern Utah to open the 2016 season. Was this ever announced?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Just saw this at fbschedules.com, but apparently we're opening the 2017 season with North Dakota, a FCS team, and we have Southern Utah to open the 2016 season. Was this ever announced?
    Somewhere in the past, I remember seeing both announced. The SUU game has been in the docket for about 6-9 months.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

We all knew that once the PAC & Big-10 called off their yearly regular season game that we'd be extending the BYU series beyond 2016.

By the time the 2018 game gets here, Utah will either be a solid PAC power with significantly improved talent and the late game against BYU will be an easier win than it has been, or we'll be stuck as a middle or lower PAC team, and playing BYU late in the year will be something to look forward to.

If we're in the PAC championship game, we should have the talent to beat BYU without an insanely intense effort.

What would really suck is if we schedule BYU *before* we play Colorado, and then lay an egg against the Buffaloes because of the hangover effect of the BYU game. That would bite. I hope we don't make that mistake.

This BYU fan is happy to see the rivalry extended. I find Absolution's reasoning and anger humorous (and pathetic). Eventually, I think we'll see the series settle into an every-other-year, late-season affair. I'm cool with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    What would really suck is if we schedule BYU *before* we play Colorado, and then lay an egg against the Buffaloes because of the hangover effect of the BYU game. That would bite. I hope we don't make that mistake.
    An overthought and meaningless concern. We laid one turdburger of an egg against CU in 2011 and didn't have playing BYU the week before to blame for that.

Bottom line, if Kyle can't adjust and find ways to have his team bypass this perceived "hangover effect" from beating BYU, he needs to find another line of work. There are no weeks off in the Pac-12, and if we're willing to use this is an excuse for subpar efforts or to dodge scheduling certain teams, we need to find a coach who avoids it altogether.

I could do without the religious aspects.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I could do without the religious aspects.

I agree
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

I'm okay with BYU on the schedule, but quite honestly, I'd much rather see the game played in September. Because of the rivalry aspect, it's not a gimme game for either team and I'd rather not see the Utes have a November loss to a non-conference team.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

You want to keep BYU relevant in the state of Utah? Start stringing together 5-7 seasons.
    Amen, amen, and amen (and Halleluja.)

Regarding the continuation of the Utah-BYU series: if its about the game, about competition, I guess I can live with that -- however, if we view BYU going Independent to be a mistake, we are only helping to ameliorate that mistake. But if it is about religion, I have no interest whatsoever.

For those of you who are upset with the announcement, note that the contract has not been signed yet. You still have a chance to make your voice heard. If you are in the majority, maybe letting Dr. Hill know how you feel with still help.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Do you realize how foolish this sentiment is when you see other Pac-12 schools scheduling BYU? Arizona and USC are on the docket (albeit some years off) and I'm sure there will be more.
    True, but to be fair, those are 2-1 deals with BYU. We are the only Pac-12 giving an even deal to the Cougars. And, of course, we should do 1-1 with them based on our history.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I'm okay with BYU on the schedule, but quite honestly, I'd much rather see the game played in September. Because of the rivalry aspect, it's not a gimme game for either team and I'd rather not see the Utes have a November loss to a non-conference team.
    As I've said many times, I have a love-hate relationship with the BYU rivalry game. If we must have it, the end of the season is the best time, IMO. It then remains a game only for bragging rights. I don't think playing us helps them all that much in the overall scheme of things. They'll succeed or fail on their own.

The only tiny and dark part of my soul that likes the idea of dissing them is the spiteful part that wants revenge for the way they treated us during the Dark Years. That period is fading farther and farther into the past, however. Most people under age 30 don't even remember it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    True, but to be fair, those are 2-1 deals with BYU. We are the only Pac-12 giving an even deal to the Cougars. And, of course, we should do 1-1 with them based on our history.
    That's true. You gotta wonder why BYU took a 2-for-1 with USC when it had a home-and-home with them a decade ago.

Arizona is essentially a 1-1-1, given the number of BYU alumni in Phoenix. I don't think BYU views that game as a road contest at all.

One thing I need to bring up, unrelated to your post, is that I see way too many Utah fans who want to discredit our limitations in scheduling non-conference games. There has to be a pot-sweetener for us to lure a Michigan or Texas A&M to RES (in both instances, it is a Thursday night game on ESPN to open the season). BYU not only has the stadium size, but it's calendar is much more wide open.

We want the sexy names, but sexy doesn't play in SLC in mid-September unless we're willing to fork over money above and beyond what we generate on gameday. Which is why games against FCS and MWC teams are far more likely to be a fixture on future schedules than games against BCS opponents. Until RES is expanded, we're still bargain shoppers when it comes to the majority of our non-con games.